SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
I'm engaged with Sage tech on the choppiness I get with Sage decoders on my system with ATI hardware accel (Zoom Player works perfectly with same decoders) playing HD-PVR files.

I looked the log file I made for Sage and it said something like "no field 2 found" around the section it was talking abot bob and weave, so I am wondering if maybe it's just playing every other 1080i field. I could be totally off-base, but thought I would throw it out there as that would seem consistent with what I am seeing.
That sounds a awful lot like the problem I was seeing with PowerDVD 8, and probably why 7.3 would stutter sometimes. I could sometimes see shaking in hd content, but I figured my eyes were playing with me, but it was completely obvious on 4:3 content with letters. Unfortunately I'm on my way out of town so I can't check to see I'm experiencing the same in the logs until next week. I can confirm that the files are fine in Zoom Player as well however.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:14 PM
SageTVaholic

With EVR enabled I haven't seen any stuttering. The only thing I've noticed is with 480i content not being deinterlaced very well. It could be that 1080i stuff is similarly not being deinterlaced very well but because of the higher resolution it's not as noticeable. Not sure though as I'm not usually sitting close enough to the screen to notice.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Sage Expert

For me the little lines suggesting improper/no deinterlacing seem to be there sometimes when I load the HD-PVR recording (and I always use the same one to test), and sometimes not, for no apparent rhyme or reason.

But the modest choppiness is always there regardless in Sage.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:53 AM
Sage Expert

well, I'm back to say that my problems like the OP aren't gone.

I am still getting "lines" in the playback, just less often. Another variable is that I'm going to be getting my NB heatsink/fan combo today and I'll install it and report back. I don't think it'll do anything, but I do notice the lines come and go now less often.

I am also now notiicing a playback error with Tropic Thunder BluRay. It starts about 2-3 seconds in and then freezes video playback. This is with powerDVD 8. I tried Arcsoft TME that came with HD-PVR, but it obviously doesn't decode the audio. THe point is that TME plays the video back from TT without any issue, so maybe there is something wrong with my system at this point.

If thanks giving weren't tomorrow, I'd just reinstall my machine today, but as such I'll be helping the WAF and pitch in to clean up the house by taking the 2 trouble makers (boys - 3, 4) and occupy them.

quick note - I read about someone that reinstalled Vista again and that solved his problem similar to ours.....just so others know.

-Brian
Old 11-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Sage Expert

Mi Vista install is brand new, less than a week old, and I've avoided installing a lot of extra stuff to be safe. So a new install is no guarantee, for anyone considering it.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake550 View Post
well, I'm back to say that my problems like the OP aren't gone.

I am still getting "lines" in the playback, just less often. Another variable is that I'm going to be getting my NB heatsink/fan combo today and I'll install it and report back. I don't think it'll do anything, but I do notice the lines come and go now less often.

I am also now notiicing a playback error with Tropic Thunder BluRay. It starts about 2-3 seconds in and then freezes video playback. This is with powerDVD 8. I tried Arcsoft TME that came with HD-PVR, but it obviously doesn't decode the audio. THe point is that TME plays the video back from TT without any issue, so maybe there is something wrong with my system at this point.

If thanks giving weren't tomorrow, I'd just reinstall my machine today, but as such I'll be helping the WAF and pitch in to clean up the house by taking the 2 trouble makers (boys - 3, 4) and occupy them.

quick note - I read about someone that reinstalled Vista again and that solved his problem similar to ours.....just so others know.

-Brian
Did you go into the Cyberlink options for video and into the advanced button and either choose a different deinterlace method or turn deinterlacing off completely? See if that makes it better or worse.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Sage Expert

I did try going in to CYberlink options for a different deinterlacing method. I also tried turning it off. In the end, it seemed like the OS/SageTV install was facing a long slow fiery death because as of this morning, I couldn't tune into liveTV. recorded shows worked fine, but at least I am taking this time to test my Vista DVD with SP1 slipstreamed.

Also, I got a Thermalright HR-05/UFC heatsink on the MCP7A chip and my idle temps are now 25C instead of 50C and my load temp is now 29-30C instead of 80-90C. I also got a silent 80mm fan on it that is actually silent. So, I'm a happy camper if the reinstall will get rid of the line.

-Brian
Old 11-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Sage Expert

Well, the fresh install of vista did NOT get rid of the problems.

Anyone have any new info on the "lines"? I've even tried using VRM9 and I still get them.grrr....back to (choppy pans) overlay for me unfortunately.

-Brian
Old 11-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Sage Expert

I was not able to get Cyberlink 7 or 8 to play any 720p content. I filed a bug report and the Sage guys had me switch out the mpegdemux for the previous non beta version. It seemed to fix my problems.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Sage Expert

oooh... great thought evil attorney. I had that idea lingering in my head, but haven't acted on it. Now I definitely will.

Here's crossing my fingers.

-Brian
Old 11-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Sage Expert

Oh well, switching back to 6.4.8's mpegdemuxer didn't do anything for me. I do have my box stuck to output 720p, but my HDHR outptus both 1080i and 720p and I still get the problem regardless of resolution.

Anyone have any other ideas for me to try? I'm stuck using Overlay again until I can figure this out. I may just have to file a bug report on the beta.

-Brian
Old 11-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Sage User

Before Sage 6.5.2 came out I was watching all my HDPVR content with PowerDVD 8. It was playing the files beautifully. After I installed Sage 6.5.2 I am experience de-interlacing issues when playing any content with Sage or PowerDVD. I don't understand what could be causing this. I re-installed PowerDVD to no avail. I think I am going to uninstall Sage 6.5.2 and go back to 6.4.8 and see if that solves my PowerDVD problem.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've been fighting with codecs for over a year. My wife says the "codec game" is my favorite game ever. H.264 playback is now PERFECT for me using EVR and Cyberlink's PowerDVD 8 H.264 decoder.

I use Vista Ultimate on all my clients. I've always had problems with 480i mpeg-2 content from Dish on both ATI 2600XT and Nvidia 8600GT video cards. It can't be properly de-interlaced with any of the "advanced" codecs, i.e. Cyberlink, Nvidia, Arcsoft, etc. The only way I can get these to play back smoothly is to use ffdshow and linear blending for de-interlacing. You loose detail that way, but who cares for 480i content anyway. It looks much better. I had to modify the ffdshow source and re-compile so it won't try to decode any mpeg-2 with vertical resolution higher than 480 lines so I can use it for SD and then better codecs for 720p and 1080i mpeg-2.

However, I still have problems with 720p and 1080i mpeg-2. It's not horrible, but just annoying. I don't have problems with audio/video sync., but every so often it looks like a few video frames are played in fast forward. Hard to describe. I used VMR9 Before EVR was available in SageTV, and I would get dropped frames with about the same frequency. I'm not sure that either is more tolerable than the other.

I can get stable playback if I disable DXVA in the Cyberlink mpeg-2 decoder for SageTV, but then you loose detail. The loss of detail is easy to see with the test pattern video clips found here:

W6RZ MPEG-2 Transport Stream Test Patterns and Tools

Especially these two clips to test for loss of detail due to bad de-interlacing:

Alternating black/white 1, 2, 3 and 4 pixel strips 1920x1080
Alternating black/white 1, 2, 3 and 4 pixel strips with moving interlaced bar 1920x1080

Without proper de-interlacing, the alternating 1-pixel black and white lines will either be blended together into a solid gray bar, or will flash black and white.

I really thought that EVR was going to end the codec game for me, but sadly it has not. Now I wish everything was broadcast in H.264

I'll never give up this game! I'm still holding out hope that maybe reclock will fix my problems. It sorta works, but usually get's really messed up after skipping around in a show a few times.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

hellsingfan,

Do you have Aero enabled? It should resolving tearing problems.

In the past, launching SageTV would disable aero if you had it enabled. I found a work around that you can modify this setting in the sage.properties file:

ui/window_title_style=10

Run SageTV once with this setting, exit, then change it back to zero. From then on launching SageTV would not disable Aero. I'm not sure if they have resolved this with the more recent versions of Sage.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Sage Expert

Another bit of info....

I have the nvidia 9300 chipset and I found that using the nvidia control panel to set my output to 1080p/60, I would get this "line" that came and went, and was always in the top 1/4 of the screen. Tonight, I think I may have solved the issue. I went into advanced display properties from within regular control panel. (control panel->personalization->display settings->advanced settings->monitor). I made this value 59 instead of 60 and POOF, no more line (at least after 45 minutes of testing). I amusually able to reproduce the problem after only 30 seconds at most.

Here's to all 9300 based chipsets that people are having issues with....change the refresh rate to be 59 insteasd of 60!

-Brian
Old 12-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondo_se View Post
hellsingfan,

Do you have Aero enabled? It should resolving tearing problems.

In the past, launching SageTV would disable aero if you had it enabled. I found a work around that you can modify this setting in the sage.properties file:

ui/window_title_style=10

Run SageTV once with this setting, exit, then change it back to zero. From then on launching SageTV would not disable Aero. I'm not sure if they have resolved this with the more recent versions of Sage.
I believe Aero is already on. I mean I can view the different windows in the "3d" form so I'm assuming Aero is on, but I'll check
Vista 32bit SP1
Sapphire ATI Ultimate HD 3850 512mb
Catalyst 8.11
CoreAVC 1.8.5/ Cyberlink Powerdvd 8 Ultra
250gb HDD (will add more when TB comes down )
Old 12-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsingfan View Post
I believe Aero is already on. I mean I can view the different windows in the "3d" form so I'm assuming Aero is on, but I'll check
Aero works perfectly fine with Sage TV 6.5.2 if you're using EVR.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscrivo View Post
Aero works perfectly fine with Sage TV 6.5.2 if you're using EVR.
yes thats true, but my problem is not with Aero.
Vista 32bit SP1
Catalyst 8.11
Old 12-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Sun just released a Java SE 6 Update 11 update that may be worth trying. One of the updates to it is to fix a D3D rendering bug possible on Nvidia cards running 178.13 drivers. I was just notified of the the update so I haven't checked to see if it helps yet.

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view...bug_id=6757527 - A link to the bug. Since you are talking to support about it, it may be worth bringing it up to make sure they are aware in case this bug has something to do with it.

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/6u11.html - 6 u11 Release notes.

http://java.com/en/download/windows_...st=java.com:80 - Link to the update.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'll try the new Java update but I'm using ATI so don't know if it'll help.
Vista 32bit SP1
Catalyst 8.11