SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage And cyberlink?

So I was wondering if you guys are having problem with Sage and cyberlink powerdvd 8 on HD (h.264)?

IF I remember correctly Cyberlink worked fine b4 with older version (6.3?) with few problems. Now I installed this beta and its a weird frame issue. Its like played two frames (stutter, tear?) at the same time or something. So the thing is in two places (if it moved). MASSIVE tearing I guess. I was hoping to take advantage of the DXVA 2.0 feature in Vista which I think currently Cyberlink does, CoreAVC doesn't because ATI/Nvidia are not giving them the info as to how their hardware works.

I think we should all file a complaint with ATI/Nvidia and ask them to provide the information. This is crap! Why make video cards with features that virtually no codec can exploit? Or are they giving cyberlink a monopoly? I would really LOVE to see CoreAVC with the GPU acceleration. I don't know if we have a big enough following here then a stream of e-mails might tell them how disappointed we are with their product!

Also EVR is very smooth! But I think the quality downgraded on SD channels, lol. Or maybe its just my eyes.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Is it kind of like when you see words, or straight lines you can sort of see them jump like you paused a old VCR? If so, thats a deinterlacing issue that I'm also having with PowerDVD 8. I only really notice it on 4x3 content but I'm sure it exist on 16:9 as well, just not as noticeably.

I had PowerDVD 7.3 before that and it worked fine, except for being a little jerky sometimes. I equated it to just being on VMR9, and then the first EMR version, but after rolling back to it, it is just that codec. FFDshow works fine, with more CPU usage of course since it does not support hardware acceleration.

I'm taking it from reply's elsewhere that the best one to use is arcsoft's codecs, but that seems to be bundled with the hd-pvr. It may be for sale, but I haven't personally checked.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Smooth as silk for me with almost 0% utilization during full blown 1080p H.264 AVC content (ripped blu-ray remuxed to TS)... using PowerDVD 8 h.264 video decoder. This is with the latest EVR and dxva2 support and the a nice Nvidia card with the latest Vista drivers... works as advertised... actually better than i expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsingfan View Post
So I was wondering if you guys are having problem with Sage and cyberlink powerdvd 8 on HD (h.264)?

IF I remember correctly Cyberlink worked fine b4 with older version (6.3?) with few problems. Now I installed this beta and its a weird frame issue. Its like played two frames (stutter, tear?) at the same time or something. So the thing is in two places (if it moved). MASSIVE tearing I guess. I was hoping to take advantage of the DXVA 2.0 feature in Vista which I think currently Cyberlink does, CoreAVC doesn't because ATI/Nvidia are not giving them the info as to how their hardware works.

I think we should all file a complaint with ATI/Nvidia and ask them to provide the information. This is crap! Why make video cards with features that virtually no codec can exploit? Or are they giving cyberlink a monopoly? I would really LOVE to see CoreAVC with the GPU acceleration. I don't know if we have a big enough following here then a stream of e-mails might tell them how disappointed we are with their product!

Also EVR is very smooth! But I think the quality downgraded on SD channels, lol. Or maybe its just my eyes.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Could you tell me what settings did you put in Sage.properties (client or whatever)?

You know the videoframe/h264 thing. I'll try updating cyberlink I think there are updates, or i'll try reinstalling. but what is the code that you put in sage.properties because I notice in graphedit there are a lot of cyberlink stuff.

And no its not the jump stuff, its like ghosting (for lack of better words) you can see it in different places, but it is not ghosting cuz I know what ghosting looks like. I'll post a youtube video of it because this is really weird artifact, maybe a common one but I don't know what it is called.

BTW I got ATI the latest 8.11 installed, I'll try to find tweaks. Is Haali Renderer better? (I know it doesn't do dxva)

Last edited by hellsingfan; 11-21-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:25 PM
SageTVaholic

i think yo might have sageTV configured right especially if you have the updated hardware acceleration working. The only difference is the display adapter youre using and display driver. You can check to see if youre using the same h.264 cyberlink 8 video decoder in WMP11, by defualt it will use EVR if you have Vista. Not sure what else I can tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsingfan View Post
Could you tell me what settings did you put in Sage.properties (client or whatever)?

You know the videoframe/h264 thing. I'll try updating cyberlink I think there are updates, or i'll try reinstalling. but what is the code that you put in sage.properties because I notice in graphedit there are a lot of cyberlink stuff.

And no its not the jump stuff, its like ghosting (for lack of better words) you can see it in different places, but it is not ghosting cuz I know what ghosting looks like. I'll post a youtube video of it because this is really weird artifact, maybe a common one but I don't know what it is called.

BTW I got ATI the latest 8.11 installed, I'll try to find tweaks. Is Haali Renderer better? (I know it doesn't do dxva)

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Actually I have CoreAVC the 1.8.5 which I'm currently using. I originally bought Cyberlink though but it wasn't doing so well without DXVA so maybe there is some conflict going on. I don't remember but I might have lowered the merits, it just crossed my mind. I'll get back on this.

Because I don't think DXVA is working right now because prior to this my usage for around 30%, and its still the same, I expected it to be down to 0-10%.

Also the new beta 6.5.2 say "multi-threading", what is this supposed to mean, wasn't sage already using multi-core or is this the first build that takes advantage of multi-core systems, I've got Quad-Core So I'm assuming this will be a performance booster if this is indeed new.

I've gotta get home quick and try the new beta!
Vista 32bit SP1
Sapphire ATI Ultimate HD 3850 512mb
Catalyst 8.11
CoreAVC 1.8.5/ Cyberlink Powerdvd 8 Ultra
250gb HDD (will add more when TB comes down )
Old 11-21-2008, 10:41 PM
SageTVaholic

I hate to burst your bubble, youre not going to get EVR GPU hardware acceleration with CoreAVC; not even standard GPU hardware acceleration on mpeg2. Its purely CPU multithreaded support which helps some... >20% on as quadcore CPU.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-22-2008, 01:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

I know that CoreAVC doesn't do DXVA, I mentioned that on my Opening Post. In order to test this beta I placed Cyberlink in the sage.properties since I already have it. That what I was asking, if there are any problems with cyberlink.

What does the "multithreading" in the 6.5.2 referring to? This is the first build where Sage can use multi-cores? I had the impression that it was multicore before.
Vista 32bit SP1
Catalyst 8.11
Old 11-22-2008, 04:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Sage already took advantage of multi-core. This is the first time transcoder.exe takes advantage of multi-threads and cores. (per the release notes) So if you have an MVP or an HD100 and an unsupported file format the transcode should perform better. Also if you do Video Conversions (convert your recordings to a different format like for the iPod) it should do it quicker.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

What is "MVP", I have the normal SageTV.

Anyways I found out the problem. When I placed the Cyberlink Video/SP (something like this) thing in sage.prop it was actually using ffdshow, I noticed this when I saw the tray icon for ffdshow and I was like "what"? I changed the prop to Cyberlink H.264/AVC and now its using cyberlink.

The picture does seem smooth on the pan movement, and the cpu usage for HD is always like 10-13%, but the funny thing is the SD for which I'm using cyberlink still has consistent 18%. So SD requiring more power? Seems funny.

One problem I'm noticing is that when something moves there is a bit of "flicker" effect around the edeges. Like if a person moves there is a bit of "flicker" (very slight) around the outline.

What settings are you guys using for Cyberlink? In the codec. So when you open Powerdvd and options what settings are you using under "Video" and "advanced". Because I remember I changed a few thing b4 when I was testing so that may be causing the problem.
Vista 32bit SP1
Catalyst 8.11
Old 11-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Sage User

I have no problem with 1080i video, but any upscaled standard def or 720p is totally unwatchable, with tearing, artifacting, etc. I'm using a Radeon 4850 and the latest version of PowerDVD. If I switch from EVR to VMR9, low-res video plays fine. What are the advantages of EVR?
Old 11-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverlethe View Post
I have no problem with 1080i video, but any upscaled standard def or 720p is totally unwatchable, with tearing, artifacting, etc. I'm using a Radeon 4850 and the latest version of PowerDVD. If I switch from EVR to VMR9, low-res video plays fine. What are the advantages of EVR?
I'm wondering myself. I think its all hyped up. The picture is definitely smoother in my case for HD but there are now weird video artifacts.
Vista 32bit SP1
Catalyst 8.11
Old 11-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Sage User

I was wrong. There's definitely trouble with some 1080i files, but others play fine.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Sage Expert

I was having similar problems at first. Looks like the deinterlacing wasn't being done properly/at all with the Cyberlink decoders.

I closed Sage, went to the ATI control panel, deselected automatic deinterlacing, clicked on the interlacing bar to see the different settings, then reselected the automatic deinterlacing and reopened Sage.

I have no idea why or if even this is what resulted in the fix, but now the deinterlacing is just fine... aka I don't see those little lines outlining stuff during movement.

What I still can't fix is that the video isn't totally smooth. Close, but definitely slightly jerky.

Since the picture is silky smooth (and this is all with HD-PVR files) in Zoom Player with the Cyberlink decoders, I have to assume this is a Sage problem.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:48 AM
Sage User

Playing with interlacing doesn't seem to fix my artifacting. Perhaps I have a defective graphics card, but Blu-ray and games play fine.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

i've tried all the codecs now, and with all the renderers in graphedit, same stuff, maybe this video was just like this, but I doubt it!
Vista 32bit SP1
Catalyst 8.11
Old 11-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverlethe View Post
Playing with interlacing doesn't seem to fix my artifacting. Perhaps I have a defective graphics card, but Blu-ray and games play fine.
I doubt you have a defective card. The problem seemed to come and go with me (it's gone for now). I suspect its an ATI or Cyberlink bug, but that's just a guess.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
I figured out what is causing the occasional jerkiness that I talked about earlier. It occurs when there's anything between the codec and the EVR renderer. I had ffdshow listed as a post processor in sage.properties with everything disabled, and as a result I saw the occasional jerk and stutter. However, this may not be a ffdshow problem. It also occurs when ffdshow has been taken out of properties and closed captioning has been enabled. It does not matter if captions are being displayed or not, turn them off, its fine. It should be noted that the same files can play glitch free in other players like media player classic or Zoom Player in EVR and multiple filters in the chain so its just likely a sign that the EVR code still needs a little tweaking.

As a side note however, the deinterlacing jumping that I saw with powerdvd 8 was taken care of by telling ffdshow post processing to force hardware deinterlacing.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Sage Expert

I have the same kind of issues as the OP. I have a 9300 based Asus board and was able to eliminate the problem by doing a few things:
1) Went to nvidia website to download all software/driver updates for 9300
2) Updated to SageTV 6.5.2
3) Updated Arcsoft software (TMT) on server and client machines
4) Changed SageClient.properties on client machine to use ArcSoft Video Decoder instead of Cyberlink H264 decoder.

I can say that #1 and #2 did not solve the problem by itself, but I put it there for reference value. I believe that a combination of #3 and #4 solved the problem. I had tried Overlay and VMR8 as well when I had the problem in EVR and it still happened, but less noticable with VMR9, and the picture was a little "shaky" with Overlay. Previously, Overlay had been perfect for me.

Hope this helps the OP...
Old 11-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Sage Expert

I'm engaged with Sage tech on the choppiness I get with Sage decoders on my system with ATI hardware accel (Zoom Player works perfectly with same decoders) playing HD-PVR files.

I looked the log file I made for Sage and it said something like "no field 2 found" around the section it was talking abot bob and weave, so I am wondering if maybe it's just playing every other 1080i field. I could be totally off-base, but thought I would throw it out there as that would seem consistent with what I am seeing.