SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Sage User

Need you HD-PVR Advice- RMA or not?

So I have 2 HD-PVRs, both rev C2. I am using the 1.0 drivers. Both units have been PERFECT-- no freezes, etc.

So I tried the 1.1 drivers because I really want 5.1, and got the weird underwater / faraway echo thing. Reverted to 1.0.

Hauppauge says the only way to fix it is to RMA both units. I am scared to do this since I read about all the issues people are having with freezing, stuttery recordings, etc., and mine have been flawless except stereo audio only.

Has anyone done the RMA? How has the new unit been? Anyone have any other thoughts for me? I am trying to tell myself stability > 5.1, but I am worried if I don't RMA them now I will be stuck with stereo only forever.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

My opinion is don't settle for less than you paid for. Some of us are using the latest drivers with 5.1. You didn't break it.

Wayne
Old 11-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Sage User

Same situation

Hey there, I'm in the exact same situation.

Have to C2 boxes. 5.1 audio via spdif gives the murky sound. They just came back today and said I need to RMA. I wish they would be more clear about the problem. It definitely sounds like a hardware problem (both of yours and both of mine have the problem).

I know early talk was that this was primarily the Verizon Cable boxes but I'm having the same problem via my Dish Network VIP 222 box. Can I ask which type of cable box you have the problem on?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have a Verizon STB and did the RMA about a week ago. My experience was fine. I got the new unit back in about a week and half (but shipping between Boston and NY only takes 1 day, so your results may vary). I got back a Rev E1 unit.

The new unit will now record the 5.1 audio perfectly, but it results in audio/video sync issues when using the optical audio to capture. So I have reverted back to the stereo inputs and it works fine again. I am no worse off than before.

Hauppauge has reported that they are aware of the sync issue, but I haven't heard anything more than that since reporting to them that the new unit still had problems. Hopefully they can fix the sync problem in software, so I won't have to RMA again, but I really have no idea.

That said, I don't see any downside to RMA'ing your unit. Just be prepared that it probably isn't going to resolve your issue 100%
Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianophase View Post
I know early talk was that this was primarily the Verizon Cable boxes but I'm having the same problem via my Dish Network VIP 222 box. Can I ask which type of cable box you have the problem on?
What I a coincidence-- I am using VIP 222s as well.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet View Post
I have a Verizon STB and did the RMA about a week ago. My experience was fine. I got the new unit back in about a week and half (but shipping between Boston and NY only takes 1 day, so your results may vary). I got back a Rev E1 unit.

The new unit will now record the 5.1 audio perfectly, but it results in audio/video sync issues when using the optical audio to capture. So I have reverted back to the stereo inputs and it works fine again. I am no worse off than before.

Hauppauge has reported that they are aware of the sync issue, but I haven't heard anything more than that since reporting to them that the new unit still had problems. Hopefully they can fix the sync problem in software, so I won't have to RMA again, but I really have no idea.

That said, I don't see any downside to RMA'ing your unit. Just be prepared that it probably isn't going to resolve your issue 100%
Thank you very much for your experience. I suppose I will RMA them (one at a time though!)
Old 11-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Like spacecadet, I went the RMA route to resolve the FIOS/HDPVR HD audio problem. Unfortunately, my results were not as good. Unlike the Rev E1 unit that they sent spacecadet, they sent me a Rev C3 unit. I guess it's just the luck of the draw what replacement unit they send you. In any event, the REV C3 unit like the Rev E1 unit does resolve the audio echo issue. However, the new audio sync problem that was introduced in whatever change Hauppauge made to correct the audio echo issue not only with HD optical audio input but also with the standard stereo analog input on my C3 unit. This has rendered the unit totally unuseable for any purpose other than generating test files demonstrating the sync problem for Hauppauge engineers so that they can try and resolve this new problem. In the interim, I'm hesitant to do another RMA for this unit since I don't know whether the sync problem can be resolved by a change in the software or whether it'll require yet another hardware change in the HD PVR. Since a replacement unit will still not get you functioning HD audio, my advice would be to hold off on RMA your units unit all the audio issues are resolved.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
Like spacecadet, I went the RMA route to resolve the FIOS/HDPVR HD audio problem. Unfortunately, my results were not as good.
This is what I was afraid of... I wonder if I can RMA it in the future since I have already requested a RMA number? When did you send yours in? I'm wondering if the E1 has since come out and addresses the issue?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by swats View Post
This is what I was afraid of... I wonder if I can RMA it in the future since I have already requested a RMA number? When did you send yours in? I'm wondering if the E1 has since come out and addresses the issue?
I requested the RMA about 2 weeks ago and received the replacement unit last week. I've heard from someone who received an E1 unit about 2 weeks before I received my C3 unit which is why I requested the RMA thinking I'd also get an E1 unit that "fixed the problem". I was surprised when I opened the box to what looked like an old unit that had been remanufactured with a new Rev C3 sticker place over the original Rev sticker on the bottom. The old C2 that I sent back on the RMA at least worked on analog. Now I have a unit that doesn't work on analog or digital. At Hauppauge's request, I did create and send their engineers 2 files that demonstrate the sync problems using different record settings. Now I'm stuck waiting to the engineers to try and figure out the problem and develop a solution. I'm hoping that it is soon so that I can get a working HDPVR again, either through a software fix or by having to again RMA for the unit I currently have for another hardware fix. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to me that Hauppauge feels the urgency that I do in resolving this issue. The demo files were uploaded to their site last Friday and it took until this Tuesday before I could even get them to confirm that they had received the files and they were now in the hands of the engineers.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Sage User

I think the uncomfortable part with all of this is that it appears like there is a fundamental hardware problem between the mentioned boxes (Verizon STB and Dish VIP 222) and the HD-PVR. While I'm annoyed that I'm having the problem, I'm glad that i discovered this problem now rather than when the units were out of warranty.

One of the main reasons I purchased boxes was so that I could switch cable providers whenever I wanted. If I happened to be on Comcast or DirecTV, I probably wouldn't have figured this out until too late. If this a fundamental hardware problem, it seems like smart money would be swap out one's unit if you ever expected to use the offending boxes (even if you didn't do it now). Let's face it, the spdif out from the two stb boxes work fine with all our other audio equipment. Who knows if a future item you use wouldn't work with the problematic boxes...

On the shipment side of things, they shipped my return out two days after they received my boxes via UPS Ground. I'll update when I receive the package (a week from now given I'm in CA).
Old 11-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hmmm,

I am in the same boat here. I have a revC2 and use Expressvu (they rebadge the Dishnet STB). Recordings work perfectly except things only record using the PCM stereo settings.

Will Hauppauge only ship out a return if you send your old box back? Living in Canada, that would likely mean 2 weeks for shipping in each direction meaning no recorded TV for a month with no guarantee the problem will be fixed. Anyone know if you can get them to ship a new box if you put a deposit on a credit card?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Sage User

Quote:

On the shipment side of things, they shipped my return out two days after they received my boxes via UPS Ground. I'll update when I receive the package (a week from now given I'm in CA).
Yes, please do let me know. Just out of curiosity, what STB are you using?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiier__Dude View Post
Will Hauppauge only ship out a return if you send your old box back? Living in Canada, that would likely mean 2 weeks for shipping in each direction meaning no recorded TV for a month with no guarantee the problem will be fixed. Anyone know if you can get them to ship a new box if you put a deposit on a credit card?
As far as I know they don't have any kind of accelerated RMA program like the hard drive companies-- or at least they didn't mention it to me. I understand your quandary. I am reluctant to send 1 of my 2 back because of the number of times a week I need both tuners. I suppose I will bite the bullet, send one of them in, and keep my fingers crossed for the best.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Sage User

Just received my two boxes back. They are both boxes with a "Rev C3" sticker put over the original version sticker. The good news: they fix 5.1 with the Dish VIP 222 boxes. Bad news: the sync is definitely worse than with my old boxes. Now the sync issue may be due to my upgrading to the latest drivers (went from 1.1/1.0.5.1 to 1.0.5.3 whql).

Now I'll start surfing around trying to figure out solutions to the sync issue. The good news, think how much money Hauppauge is saving on development by having users do the testing...
Old 12-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Sage User

If you do an RMA just ask them to send out the other and they will send you a form you return with a credit card number. This way you don't have to wait for your new one to be shipped after they receive yours. BTW the revision I just received was E1 I am using the latest drivers and no sound issues.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swats View Post
As far as I know they don't have any kind of accelerated RMA program like the hard drive companies-- or at least they didn't mention it to me. I understand your quandary. I am reluctant to send 1 of my 2 back because of the number of times a week I need both tuners. I suppose I will bite the bullet, send one of them in, and keep my fingers crossed for the best.
Hey all,

Some good news on this front. I called Hauppauge today and told them about the common 5.1 issue I am having with my ExpressVu (Dishnet) receiver. They didnt ask about which version I have, just told me that the fix is a hardware repair and that I would have to RMA the device. I told them because I am in Canada, the round trip for a return can take up to 6 weeks due to customs and asked if they could ship me a new one first if I put my credit card number down.

Initially the tech on the phone stated "no". I asked the same question several different ways, different times (all the time being a polite Canadian) and he offered to pass me to a supervisor -- I told him it wouldn't hurt if I asked. Anyhow, on hold for about 5 minutes and the tech comes back with the good news. They now have a form to fax where they will ship out the replacement, charge your credit card, and return the balance when the RMA arrives. So, got them their signed form and I have a new HD-PVR being shipped out to me some time this week.

Lets me get the new box, ensure it works, but at the same time keep recording without interruption. I am a happy guy (happier when the new unit arrives and works properly of course).
Old 12-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Sage User

Didn't think it would get worse...

So, as above, I had the VIP 222 receiver. I got my C1 units replaced with C3 units. Now sync problems make the units completely useless. WHen I start recording, sync is fine. However, the further into the recording the more off sync is. (In a 1 hour recording sync can be off by more than 2 seconds).

This happens with spdif 5.1, spdif 2.0, and **analog audio**. I'm trying to get help from Hauppauge but no joy yet. If you have two units, I suggest you replace them one at or time or the waf may be very bad. My old C1 units worked fin with spdif 2.0 and analog audio.

My frustration led me to try recording on two other systems plus building a linux system. Same sync problems on every one of them...

Jacques
Old 12-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
So, as above, I had the VIP 222 receiver. I got my C1 units replaced with C3 units. Now sync problems make the units completely useless. WHen I start recording, sync is fine. However, the further into the recording the more off sync is. (In a 1 hour recording sync can be off by more than 2 seconds).

This happens with spdif 5.1, spdif 2.0, and **analog audio**. I'm trying to get help from Hauppauge but no joy yet. If you have two units, I suggest you replace them one at or time or the waf may be very bad. My old C1 units worked fin with spdif 2.0 and analog audio.

Jacques
Sorry to hear about your problem. As you can see from my earlier post in this thread, I went down the same road about 6 weeks ago. I RMA'd a C2 unit because of the FIOS HD audio distortion issue and received a C3 unit that resolved the distortion but had a progressive problem with A/V sync on all audio inputs. This rendered the unit completely worthless. Because of this, I finally got Hauppauge to agree to RMA the C3 unit for an E1 unit last week. I've now received the E1 unit. The A/V sync problem still exists for HD audio input. This is a know problem for which Hauppauge does not currently have a solution; nor do they appear to have any idea when they will be able to resolve this issue based on the tone of the recent emails I've received. At least the E1 unit fixes the problem with 2-channel analog input that the C3 unit introduced. Unfortunately, it means that you will probably have to RMA your C3 unit and have Hauppauge specifically mark down that they need to send you an E1 unit in return.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the response. When I talked with Hauppauge, they said they had never heard of a sync problem with the analog inputs. Your response is very helpful. I'll get on the phone with them again tomorrow.

C3 definitely seems like a step backwards.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks for the response. When I talked with Hauppauge, they said they had never heard of a sync problem with the analog inputs.
That's what they told me too when I tried to RMA the C3 unit they sent me. However, I'm surprised they're still using that line since I reported the sync problem on analog input with the C3 unit to them over a month ago and have established that replacing a C3 unit with an E1 fixes this problem.

Good luck.