SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV United Kingdom
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV United Kingdom SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from the UK - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in the UK.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:48 AM
Sage Expert

Question Virgin (Cable) direct input into Sage

Hi all,

I have been using sage for several years now, but recently (the past year and a half) I have had Virgins HD box, and it took over as the main way of watching and recording TV.

I use sage on an MVP in the kitchen but that is about it.

Is there any hardware out there that I could use to get the cable input directly into my Sage server?

At present I use a usb freeview stick which works pretty well, but I would really like to record the Virgin content directly into Sage (including their limited HD content).
Old 11-19-2008, 03:55 AM
Sage Expert

To input the cable directly into the PC you'd need a DVB-C card, I've not seen anyone from the UK on these forums using one. Obviously, if there is any kind of encryption that the Virgin box needs to decode then you wouldn't get those channels.

The other option would be to take the analogue signal out of the SCART socket into an analogue tune, but the picture quality will degrade, channel changing is a pain (Need an IR sender on the Virgin box) and I doubt it would do HD very well

Might be worth cancelling Virgin, get a Sky dish fitted (Just the dish, not contract) and get a DVB-S card to get all the Freesat stuff
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 11-19-2008, 04:05 AM
Sage Expert

I used to do the second option with two external freeview boxes in the early days. It was a pain! There is no way I am going down that route again.

I am completely new to the DVB-C concept! Do you plug in your cable (cable) and also slot in the card that you put in the back of the Virgin box?
I obviously only want the channels that I am paying for (which is most of them anyway), but is it the card Virgin card that allows certain channels to be viewed?
Old 11-19-2008, 04:23 AM
Sage Expert

I have just found this DVB-C card that claims that it works with Virgin. Could be interesting:
http://www.mediacentre.ie/option4.html

Last edited by ukmgranger; 11-19-2008 at 04:51 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:47 AM
Sage Expert

I'd check Sage supports that card before buying the card
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 11-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

I seem to remember reading on here that there was something about Virgins encryption method that meant you couldn't use it in Sage. Well, not the encrypted channels anyway.
I've been visiting these forums for about a year now, and never come across anyone doing what you suggest. I'd do a thorough search before investing in any hardware.
I use Sky, and it works reasonably well.
Antec Sonata III, Abit AN-M2HD, AMD 4200+, Thermalright SI-128 Cooler, 2GB OCZ DDR2, 2x500Gb + 1x1Tb Samsung Spinpoint SATA II, Hauppauge Nova-T500, Technotrend 3200-S2 with CI, Oasis II CAM. Windows XP Home SP3, Logitech Harmony 525. Logitech DiNovo Edge
Old 11-20-2008, 02:48 AM
Sage Icon

It's entirely possible to use a direct feed from Virgin into Sage - the card you are looking at is a FloppyDTV from Digital Everywhere - available in the UK from Kustom PCs. You can order from either site. I use the FloppyDTVs, other people use Technotrend cards but I never had any joy with them. OTOH, FloppyDTVs are horribly expensive and you need Firewire.

Once Virgin is connected you should be able to scan the free programs directly with Sage, but I find it's preferable to use a Network Encoder to access DVBC - there are some distinct advantages. There are three network encoders that I know of, MyTheatre (which I use), DVBDream and DVBViewer - the encoder software is essentially used to do all scanning and to provide video to Sage. You will also find much more about Cable at the appropriate forum at DVBN - you'll need to register but it's well worth it.

Certainly you need to check out the ramifications carefully before jumping ship to Sky!

I should point out that connecting anything other than the official box is against VM's terms...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 11-20-2008, 03:14 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks for the info rickgillyon! That has pointed me in the right direction.

I live in a world heritage area so there is no option of installing Sky (easily), so Virgin has to be the way forward. I just hopr that they introduce some more HD channels soon!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:39 AM
Sage Icon

HD just isn't a concern for me. Headless server, one client that wouldn't be up to it and 6 MVPs - would cost a fortune to upgrade them all!
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 11-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmgranger View Post
I live in a world heritage area so there is no option of installing Sky (easily), so Virgin has to be the way forward. I just hopr that they introduce some more HD channels soon!
Surely one of the various ultra discrete satellite dish solutions would work for you? Don't you have a garden or balcony to put a Cubsat in/on? http://www.cubsat.com/gb.htm http://www.cubsat.com/
Old 11-22-2008, 04:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ukmgranger

I hope they add more HD channels. At the minute they only have BBC HD channel on Virgin Media and that is encrypted. I can watch it very well on an HD extender. But it did max out my Intel P4 2.8G server when recording HD so upgraded to a Quad Core and seems to run very well.

Last edited by deanm; 11-22-2008 at 04:20 AM.