SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwalker View Post
Ok, so let me ask you this: Does your abit ab9pro reboot every time you tell it to shut down?

Does it refuse to run your RAM at full speed?

Does it refuse to boot from SATA1?

I'm trying to put an RMA through with uABIT before they go out of business (presently scheduled for Wednesday the 31st.)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboa...mber_2008.html

Would you really buy something from them now?
No, THEY shut down when I tell them to shut down, no matter which OS I've installed.

No problems with RAM running full speed, 2-8G (OS dependent of course)

I don't know that I've ever tried to boot from SATA1 but my WHS box boots from SATA2 just fine, if that helps.

Don't be intentionally obtuse. If they stop making mainboards then I won't be able to buy *another* Abit but the question is whether or not the AB9-Pro is a "POS" (as you put it) and the answer, in my case, is no they are not. You may have a bad one or it's a case of PEBCAK...

EDIT:
Also, I notice you're running 4G RAM in XP32, try removing 1G or 2G (depending on your configuration) and see if that helps. While a 32 bit OS can work with 4G, you may have noticed it only reports 3G and it can cause stability issues (not just AB9's) with large processes.

Last edited by S_M_E; 12-29-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ummm...suggesting that the problem is a PEBCAK or an ID-10.T error probably isn't a way to make friends. My beef is with the board, not someone who fortune smiled upon when it frowned on me.

Oh believe me... I've got a bad one.

And the problem with running greater than 3gb on a 32bit OS is unique to Windows; Linux will happily run up to 16GB RAM in PAE mode as long as the board supports it. (I'm at work right now and have about 350 machines on the next floor down doing so.) It took two BIOS updates before I could get the bleepin' thing to even POST on 1GB. The rest of the problems have co-existed from the beginning; see the rest of the thread.

I get all of this same dip**ittery in Linux (reboot instead of halt, SATA1 unbootable, etc, etc), which is why I'm looking to get the board either replaced or refunded by Abit before it turns in to a pumpkin at the end of the year. If I can't get it replaced from Abit before they fold, I'll borrow my buddy's fire axe and have a drunken "Office Space" encounter with it.

I've glad that you've had good fortune with this board. But I'm also glad that Abit is going out of business if this type of product was their swan song.

I don't think I was being obtuse: long after the company folds up shop, they'll still be product in the supply chain. (Even newegg still sells two of their boards.) I've bought components that have been discontinued or their manufacturer bought out if I knew their reputation was top notch. I guess my point was that if your level of trust and enthusiasm is high enough, you'll buy products made by companies that you can't cry to for help if their product doesn't work.

Anyway, glad yours is working.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Ummm...suggesting that the problem is a PEBCAK or an ID-10.T error probably isn't a way to make friends.

Linux... drunken...
Suggesting that it couldn't be PEBCAK doesn't mean it's not and I'm not trying to make friends. I'm just debating your assumption that the ab9 is a "POS" just because you can't get your ab9 to do what you want.

Now it makes more sense...
Old 12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

I looked back over the thread and realized you'd used some jargon I didn't recognise: "C2D"?
Old 12-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I looked back over the thread and realized you'd used some jargon I didn't recognise: "C2D"?
"Core 2 Duo," Intel's dual-core processor. Like I said, there's a quad version of the ab9 too.