SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Sage Icon

2250 installation instructions please

I just received my 2250 in the mail, installed the driver and Sage Add Tuner only gives me the following two options:
Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog Capture
Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog Capture #2

How do I add the 2 QAM tuners? Also, the Analog tuner is giving me "NO SIGNAL"

Please Help
Old 10-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac View Post
I just received my 2250 in the mail, installed the driver and Sage Add Tuner only gives me the following two options:

How do I add the 2 QAM tuners? Also, the Analog tuner is giving me "NO SIGNAL"

Please Help
I think you have a driver problem, tuners should be listed as 771 and 771 #2. I have this card and have never seen the 7164 designation. Is your driver from the CD that came with the card?
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 10-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Sage Icon

Yes it is.
I installed from the XP new hardware found screen like the installation instructions said.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Sage Icon

Did you add the 771#1 tuner in Sage twice? Once as Analog and the second time as QAM?
And then add the 771#2 twice as well?
Old 10-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Did you add the 771#1 tuner in Sage twice? Once as Analog and the second time as QAM?
And then add the 771#2 twice as well?
When you select the 771 tuner, you should get a screen to choose tuner type OTA digital, QAM, Analug s-video etc.
If you are not seeing this second screen there is a problem.
The setup is repeated for #2 and you get the same choices. I am checking now to see what my driver version is and will edit after I get the answer.

EDIT: My driver is 7.3.0.26198. That's with Win XP. Could be different with Vista.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT

Last edited by HelenWeathers; 10-27-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Sage Icon

When selecting QAm, should I have to worry about mapping channels?
If so, how exactly is this done? I have selected Digital Tuner as the source and then I seem to have to map them to the channels being used by my HDHR...???
Old 10-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Sage Icon

I know nothing about QAM so someone else can chime in on that.
Did you get your driver recognized correctly??
Old 10-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Sage Icon

It still only shows up as the two tuners mentioned in my post above. But it does allow me to add each one twice. Once as Analog and again as Digital Tuner for sources.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Sage Icon

Am I suppose to setup each tuner twice? One for Analog and the other for digital...
Or do I just setup one tuner as analog and the other as digital and Sage will know how to handle it?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Am I suppose to setup each tuner twice? One for Analog and the other for digital...
Or do I just setup one tuner as analog and the other as digital and Sage will know how to handle it?
You can set up 4 tuners if you have 2 QAM and two analog sources. I'm not sure how the conflict would be dealt with if you had 2 QAM recordings and 1 analog recording scheduled at the same time. You can only use one tuner for 1 source at a time so you might get a conflict notice from Sage before hand or a tuner unavailable at record time.

For a few days I had mine set up this way while I was playing with the HD PVR, but I was careful not to set up recordings that created conflicts.

If you do set up 2 QAM and 2 analog tuners, let us know when/if you get a conflict how it's managed.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Sage Icon

I have 5 other tuners besides the 2250. So I don't think I'll be getting too many conflicts. Besides I can't seem to get the QAM channels quite right anyways.
When I did the very first scan I got Channels 4 and 5 but I can't seem to get them back now.
This thing seems to be a bit of a mess.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
That's what mine says when I go to add the tuner. I use it for QAM only and to set it up I just picked the #1 tuner to add, picked "Digital Tuner" in the next step, and then clicked the very bottom option (whatever it says) after it tries to load a preview. Then I picked my local digital service provider, and then did a scan for channels. Repeated for #2 Tuner. I had trouble with the second tuner if I tried to just use the scan from the #1 tuner. So two seperated scans were necessary for me. I'm still working on figuring out the remapping thing. Kind of getting it. Just having trouble getting the 2250 to tune a remapped physical number.

And as for setting up four tuners (2 digital and 2 analog) with the one 2250 I was under the impression this was not possible as the card couldn't automatically tell if it was tuning digital or analog. I read about some kind of work around for that a while back though. I don't know. I tried it once and couldn't get it to work. If I set the tuners up as digital tuners then tried setting them up as analog, all 4 tuners would be shown in sage's tuner setup but they would only tune analog. Seemed like whatever type of tuner it was setup as last would be what it was limited to tuning.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Sage Icon

You need to have the updates from SageTV Beta for Windows: DShowCapture.dll and TSSplitter.ax to prevent any issues between the digital and analog inputs into the tuners.

You can setup as many inputs as you want/need on each tuner ie: analog cable TV, QAM, ATSC, S-Video or Composite and SageTV will handle it, just as it does with other dual tuner multiple input cards like the PVR-500. It will only record from one input on each tuner at a time.

It does get messy because of the inconsistent terminology used. The cards have only 2 capture devices, but multiple source inputs (Digital and Analog tuners, S-video, Composite etc)

You will end up with multiple input sources showing in the Setup Video Sources panel (if you configure both Analog and Digital on both "tuners"), but in the View Recording Schedule parallel view it will only show as 2 capture devices.

As you can only record on one input per capture device at a time, scheduled recordings for both the Digital and Analog tuners are listed on the same column.

John
Old 10-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Sage Icon

All 4 tuners seem to be working. I can view 2 of them at a time and they all seem to be tuning correctly. The only problem I am still having is that 2 QAM channels do not seem to be showing up during a scan, Channels 4(WBZ) and 5(WCVB).
I only get 10 Clear QAM channels and 4 of them are VOD and PBS junk.
I get them on my HDHR and they actually showed up on my first initial scan of the 2250. I was playing around with the remap and they dissapeared but I have since cleared all remapped channels and they still do not show up???
Any ideas anynone?
Old 10-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Sage Icon

Check if the channels are in the .frq file created by the scan. If they are, then you can use the process from here to reset all the SageTV remapping and edit the frq file with any mappings you want.

John
Old 10-28-2008, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Since you have an HDHR, you could also try copying the QAM .scn file from an HDHR tuner & renaming its base filename to match the base for the 2250's .frq file, remove the .frq file, then do another scan in SageTV. The SageTV scan will go fast and will do the same type of channel mappings as for the HDHR tuners. The should work, since people have said they do it for the 1600 & 1800 tuners.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Sage Icon

If I understand you correctly:
Copy the HDHR .scn file and rename it the same as the 2250's .frq filename with the .frq extension.
Then you tell me to delete the .frq file then finally do a scan.
Questions...
1. Do I do any or all of this with Sage shutdown?
2. What .frq file do I delete? The one I just created?

I did seem to get it to work where it would see the mapped channels lineup. But it still shows as "NO SIGNAL" for the 2 channels...

Last edited by dvd_maniac; 10-28-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
If I understand you correctly:
Copy the HDHR .scn file and rename it the same as the 2250's .frq filename with the .frq extension.
No, keep the .scn extension. You will be changing the base filename of the .scn file to match the 2250's base filename for its .frq file, not the extension.

<something here for the HDHR>.scn
will get copied and renamed to:
<something here for the 2250>.scn

<something here for the 2250> comes from <something here for the 2250>.frq

Did that make sense?

Quote:
Then you tell me to delete the .frq file then finally do a scan.
Questions...
1. Do I do any or all of this with Sage shutdown?
2. What .frq file do I delete? The one I just created?
SageTV can continue to run & you delete (or just move) the old .frq file for the 2250. You won't be creating any .frq file; SageTV will do that when it does a scan.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Sage Icon

All seems to be working fine now with all channels.

Thanx once again Andy!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Oh -- when you rescan in the HDHR app and update the channel list, you'll need to recopy the .scn file & rescan in SageTV.

I prefer doing the scan in the HDHR app because it has a way to name the channels, then easily scan/remap in SageTV after that. Since it stores its results in an xml file in Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Silicondust\HDHomeRun, it is easy to make a backup copy & compare for changes after a new scan. That way, you don't need to remap everything again.

- Andy