SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Some favorites not recording

CSI for example will not record unless I manually select it to do so. Last season it was working fine for all shows. All of my kids shows record just fine and show up on the recording schedule as they should. But not CSI, Heroes, Terminator, Chuck, etc.

I've upgraded last week to the latest. Deleted and re-added the favorites and they still do not show up on the schedule.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Sage Icon

I have had similar issues occasionally. I can see in the SageMC Schedule that it will not record but can not figure out why. It will be new with no other future showing available but still will not record. Instead of a manual recording I have been deleting the series and then adding it back with the same priority. It will show up after that and record but it is a little annoying that I feel I need to check every day to make sure something is not missing.

It would be nice if there was a way to figure out why something is not recording. Right now I don’t know of a way to do that.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Check for 2 or more duplicate favorites. Also I have seen instances where the channel may have changed if you had redone a channel scan. In my case it was for the HDHR and the channel name changed slightly. Simply going into the favorite and picking the channel again fixed those. The ones that were set to any channel I think I had to delete and recreate. You would only need to do this for the ones not working, not all of them.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

No duplicates. I don't think it's a channel issue as other shows record from the same channel.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Then enable debug logging and check the logs to see why it isn't recording. If you take the favorite and delete and then recreate does it start working?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think debugging is logging based on issues I've had in the past. Can you refresh me on what I should be looking for?

I've tried re-creating the favorites on Sage and SageMC and neither makes a difference.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

I was watching stuff last night and checked the recording schedule. Now CSI is listing... I'll try re-creating some others and see if it works. I've re-created CSI 4 times...
Old 10-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've re-created Prison Break about 5 times, restarted the service, nothing seems to help. Upcoming showing, 1 at this point, will not schedule. I'll check back in a few hours and see if it shows up...
Old 10-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Do the shows' airings end up with white outlines, to indicate that they are Favorites? On the Favorite Details screen, choose Additional Airings to see if it recognizes future airings.

In the Favorites Manager, sort the Favs by Title to confirm that you don't have duplicates for some shows. And, make sure the Favs don't have Keep At Most set and AutoDelete set to No.

Go to Channel Setup for each of your configured tuners now (or at some point nowhere near prime time recording), disable then re-enable a single channel for each lineup, then see what happens to the schedule in a few hours.

After that, submit a support request. I don't know of any problems with Favorites, but maybe they will be able to offer a suggestion.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

There are no duplicates. The white outlines are there... Why don't they show up in the Recording Schedule? I assume it's not too far out (next Monday) since it shows up in the Program Guide.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstok View Post
Why don't they show up in the Recording Schedule? I assume it's not too far out (next Monday) since it shows up in the Program Guide.
By default, next Monday won't be in the schedule yet... since you aren't familiar with the scheduling time, before you contact support, read this FAQ.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

I know that issue has been around for a while so I was anticipating that was fixed on this new version. Why is there only the 3 day limit?

As some were still not getting recorded previously that were scheduled I'll still re-create the remaining shows I've had trouble with and just keep checking the schedule within the 3 days and go from there.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstok View Post
I know that issue has been around for a while so I was anticipating that was fixed on this new version. Why is there only the 3 day limit?
It isn't an "issue" to be fixed. It is a performance choice SageTV decided to use.

Quote:
As some were still not getting recorded previously that were scheduled I'll still re-create the remaining shows I've had trouble with and just keep checking the schedule within the 3 days and go from there.
If they were in the schedule, but the recordings didn't exist later, then you may not have a scheduling problem but a recording problem. If your tuners aren't working properly, you could end up with incomplete recordings that get deleted. SageTV has made a change for a future version regarding how much of a show has to be missing before it decides to delete the file, but an incomplete recording is still incomplete.

You should enable debug logging, then check the log when you notice that a recording that should be there is missing. If it got deleted as incomplete, you'll need to look into what is going on with your tuners. If you have digital tuners for QAM or OTA, maybe you are having signal issues.

- Andy
Old 10-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

'Performance choice' is an interesting term to use.

I have had reception issues in the past so I bet that was the problem with recordings getting missed. Thanks for your assistance!
Old 10-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
If they were in the schedule, but the recordings didn't exist later, then you may not have a scheduling problem but a recording problem. If your tuners aren't working properly, you could end up with incomplete recordings that get deleted. SageTV has made a change for a future version regarding how much of a show has to be missing before it decides to delete the file, but an incomplete recording is still incomplete.

You should enable debug logging, then check the log when you notice that a recording that should be there is missing. If it got deleted as incomplete, you'll need to look into what is going on with your tuners. If you have digital tuners for QAM or OTA, maybe you are having signal issues.
I just upgraded all my tuners in a short period of time. I now have 2xHD-PVRs, the 2250 and an HDHR.
I have been noticing some recordings that are in the recording schedule are either not getting recorded or are getting deleted.
I have had debug logging on since I installed the new tuners but do not know what to search for?
One show last night that did not show up is CSI NY Cost of Living. but when searching the log file for "CostOfLiving" nothing showed up.
What do I search for to find out what tuner was suppose to record it or what the problem might be?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:01 PM
SageTVaholic

You may want to double check and make sure there are no duplicate favorites. Now that you've added new tuners and such you may just want to delete the problem favorite and recreate. If you're searching the log I would think you could search for the title of the episode that was suppose to record.

Gerry
Old 10-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Make sure logging is on for the server in sage.properties instead of just enabled for some client. The log should have a section where the show started recording -- try searching on shorter parts of the name in sagetv_0.txt. You might search for 'deleted' or 'delet' to look for places where files were deleted.

- Andy
Old 10-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Sage Icon

Found it. I was just looking in the wrong file. I checked the date of the log file and found the right one for last night.
What I kept finding in regard to the CSI NY Cost of Living episode last night was the following error:
SEEKER HAS DETECTED A HALT IN THE ENCODER...TRYING TO RESET IT.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Sage Icon

Might check the latest HDHR beta... I was having problems of shows not recording on it and tracked it down to the HDHR losing communication. Run the HDHR configuration software and see if it will locate the HDHR... mine came back with "device not found" or something.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Administrator

The log indicates which tuner it was trying to use when it started & restarted the recording, so you shouldn't have to guess at which one is having problems.

- Andy