SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Sage Icon

HD100 tv playback problem

Very occasionally, when I start up my HD100 on I'll have a tv playback problem. This seems to manifest itself differently now that I've upgraded to 6.4.8, but I think it might be the same underlying problem.

Under 6.3.10 and the original firmware, after turning on the extender I would try to play back a recording and sometimes I'd have no audio or video at all. The timeline would come up, and there was no spinning "ball of death". This persisted for all recordings I tried to play back until I restarted the extender (via the remote's power button). Generally, things would playback fine.

Under 6.4.8 and the latest release firmware, I'll sometimes see what appears to be poorly transcoded video, rather than HD programming. The video will look like some bad YouTube video. This seems to happen for all videos I try to play back until I restart the extender.

Has anybody seen this before? Could my server think the HD100 is not local, and be transcoding like it was a remote placeshifter? How do I diagnose this?

Thanks,

Drew
Old 10-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
Every time you turn on the extender, the box does a bandwidth test with the server. If it fails that test, then you will get a trans coded video to the extender. I think there is a few flaws with the firmware (or server) because even my server fails from time to time. And its has no issues maxing out it's gig bit connection on demand.

Just restart and see it goes away. IF it still fails, then check the debug logs (look for "getEstimatedBW" ) and make sure nothing is killing your network card. A Sage server running a unpatched XP box with a torrent running or has more than 10 connections in use will have issues.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofreak75 View Post
Just restart and see it goes away. IF it still fails, then check the debug logs (look for "getEstimatedBW" ) and make sure nothing is killing your network card. A Sage server running a unpatched XP box with a torrent running or has more than 10 connections in use will have issues.
Ah, that makes sense. It has always gone away after a restart of the client. FWIW, the server is a linux box which has a 1GbE connection and which is an NFS server for my home lab. The extender comes into my gigabit switch via a secondary 100Mb/s which is part of my NAT box. I've never had any playback problems with the extender, so I'm somewhat surprised that the bandwidth tests would be failing.

Drew