SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Sage Expert

Is anyone getting perfectly smooth playback of HD-PVR files with the HD100

Audio sync aside, playback on me HD100 is pretty good but not 100% smooth. Is it for anyone else? I've tried two different server machines to send the video.

Try watching CNN HD, with the text scrolling across the bottom of the screen. Its close, but not perfectly smooth as on my Comcast box... it has tiny stutters here and there. You might not notice this when just watching talking heads on another channel.

Others experience? Thanks for any input. By the way, if I rewind the tiny stutters will be in different places, so don't think its in the source.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Works perfect for me. No stutters at all on CNN HD.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Sage Icon

I haven't noticed any studdering, but I'll try the CNN trick and see if I can spot anything.

(I just hope they get the synch issue taken care of soon)
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 09-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks for checking applelm. I wonder if it could be something to do with my router. It's so close to being consistently smooth, it's driving me nuts I can't quite get there. What router are you using? Are you going through any switches (I'm bypassing my switch now but didn't fix it)?

sic0048, please do give it a try on CNN HD. Just watch the text at the bottom for a minute or two and see if there are any small (but you will see them) glitches. I get at least several a minute, and again if I rewind it will happen in different places so not in the source.

Incidentally, I believe my *non* HD-PVR files are playing perfectly, although then again I don't have anything with scrolling text. Maybe I can find a channel with some scrolling text (I think my CNN HD is 5c'ed though), firewire it, and play the resulting MPEG2 file through the extender for comparison.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Sage User

1080i quality is terrible

720p looks good, but occasionally stutters on PC based playback.

When are the HD Extender going to be back in stock?
Old 09-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBalboa View Post
1080i quality is terrible

720p looks good, but occasionally stutters on PC based playback.

When are the HD Extender going to be back in stock?
You're talking about PC playback though, not extender, right? 1080i looks great on my HD100, except for the slight stutters here and there.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:25 PM
SageTVaholic

The only "studdering" I get with 1080i playback from the HDPVR on an HD100 is the stop frame issue where it seems like it drops every other frame and I get that once in a great while (maybe 1% of the time?). Otherwise everything has been silky smooth and that is even while watching sports which can really show studdering issues.....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
You're talking about PC playback though, not extender, right? 1080i looks great on my HD100, except for the slight stutters here and there.
Yes PC. I would love to have an extender, but can't buy one. Seems like they could do a little better job of keeping them in stock.

How long are they usually out of stock?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks for checking applelm. I wonder if it could be something to do with my router. It's so close to being consistently smooth, it's driving me nuts I can't quite get there. What router are you using? Are you going through any switches (I'm bypassing my switch now but didn't fix it)?
I'm using a D-Link gigabit router, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006TIA0C .

I also have a gigabit switch but I'm pretty sure my extender is going direct to the router.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Sage User

I get perfectly smooth playback on my HD100 from both of my HDPVR's. I do have a High Quality Network Switch though, some of the consumer level stuff is just crap IMO, and once I went and got a good one, a lot of things got easier for me.

Now if we can just get this audio sync sorted out. Anyone know if there is any progress on this front?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks all for the input; it's discouraging that I'm apparently the only person not getting silky smooth video from the HD-PVR/HD100 combo.

Since I can't hook my PC directly to the HD100 (as far as I know) to bypass the router entirely, maybe I have an old router or switch somewhere in my PC graveyard I can give a quick try. Doesn't seem like it could be router related (DIR-655 Gigabit router) but at least that would eliminate one potential factor.

If that's not it then off to Sage tech support... guess I could use that new HD camera to capture the effect to send to Sage.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks all for the input; it's discouraging that I'm apparently the only person not getting silky smooth video from the HD-PVR/HD100 combo.

Since I can't hook my PC directly to the HD100 (as far as I know) to bypass the router entirely, maybe I have an old router or switch somewhere in my PC graveyard I can give a quick try. Doesn't seem like it could be router related (DIR-655 Gigabit router) but at least that would eliminate one potential factor.

If that's not it then off to Sage tech support... guess I could use that new HD camera to capture the effect to send to Sage.
I don't know if anyone has ever tried this, but you could try running a dhcp server on your PC and hook the HD100 directly to the ethernet port. That might work......

Anyone tried doing this?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yup, put the cable box to output at 1080i, playing back on the HD100 at 720p. No a single bit of skip or stutter. Tickers play back smooth.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
sic0048, please do give it a try on CNN HD. Just watch the text at the bottom for a minute or two and see if there are any small (but you will see them) glitches. I get at least several a minute, and again if I rewind it will happen in different places so not in the source.
Sorry, I forgot about this last night. I'll try to remember to look at it tonight.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Old 09-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
I don't know if anyone has ever tried this, but you could try running a dhcp server on your PC and hook the HD100 directly to the ethernet port. That might work......

Anyone tried doing this?
Don't bother with DHCP, just set static IP addresses on both the HD-100 and your PC. It will work fine, but you'll need a second ethernet port on the PC for internet access from the PC. You'll also need to install some kind of internet connection sharing software on the PC in order to be able to update the firmware on the HD-100.
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 09-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipshod View Post
Don't bother with DHCP, just set static IP addresses on both the HD-100 and your PC. It will work fine, but you'll need a second ethernet port on the PC for internet access from the PC. You'll also need to install some kind of internet connection sharing software on the PC in order to be able to update the firmware on the HD-100.

Thanks for the info. To be clear, I'm not interested in this as a permanent connection, I was just speculating on a way to rule out the router as causing the problem. I'll probably just try another router and see what happens with that, although good to have the above approach to try if needed.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:31 PM
SageTVaholic

My playback on the HD100 has been silky smooth as well.

Here are a couple more thoughts for you:
  • Make sure your recording drive is formatted with 64k clusters.
  • Run with only one switch between your HD100 and your server.
  • Make sure any virus scanning software excludes scanning your recording drives.
  • Turn off indexing on your recording drives.
  • Make sure your server's ethernet port is actually connected at GigE speed. (I had an issue where mine had dropped back to 100k, which gave me problems with simultaneous usage of the HD100 and my HDHR.)

HTH.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 09-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Mine is fine

I just received and set up my HDPVR yesterday. I recorded a couple of HD shows last night. It plays the recordings and live TV flawlessly on both of my HD100's. No stutters at all. I am seeing a slight lip sync problem. Another issue, if you can call it that, is the 5-6 seconds to change channels with the supplied IR blaster. Given all the problems that have been reported I am pleasently surpised.

Last edited by dadof4; 09-11-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks for the thoughts Mike. Unfortunately for me, it's already a "check" on all of those, so have to look elsewhere

EDIT: Tried a different router, but no change. Different server, different router, no change. Wonder if it could be an issue with my HD100?

Guess I will wait for the new HD-PVR firmware/drivers and see if that gets me anywhere.

Last edited by Chriscic; 09-11-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Sage Icon

I had a chance to look into this. Watching CNN or CNBC I do see a mico studder once every 12 seconds or so. It seems to be pretty consistant. It doesn't effect the sound, and it really isn't noticable on the larger picture. But the ticker at the bottom does studder every so slightly.

This was while watching "live" TV, but even pausing and playing didn't fix the issue. I didn't think about rewinding to see if the studder occured in the same place everytime.

I have a single gigabit switch, 64k clusters on my HD and am watching the stream via an extender with one of the latest betas (it's been a couple of weeks since I updated it, so it might not be the absolute latest beta - I haven't checked).

Hope this helps.
OpenDCT