SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

ArcSoft for MPEG2

The ArcSoft web site says that their software will playback mpeg2 files as well as h.264 (and a lot of other types also). So those of you who are using the HD PVR and using the ArcSoft video decoder for h.264 playback of the HD PVR files, and have other recording sources for your Sage setup that produce mpeg2 files. Are you using the ArcSoft decoder for the mpeg2 files also, or do you use a seperate decoder for mpeg2 (like Purevideo or something else)? If ArcSoft is as good a decoder for mpeg2 as Purevideo then you could eliminate the need for a seperate decoder for use with mpeg2 files.

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit
Old 10-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Sage Icon

Reviews of Arcsoft with regular DVD were not kind, I'd stick to H.264 only. (Check Missing Remote for the review).

P
Old 10-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

I think I will stick with only using ArcSoft for H.264.
Is there a best mpeg2 decoder? I am currently using purevideo because I'm familiar with it, but I am now using it with an Intel IGP not nVidia. Since I am using Intel would there be a better decoder for mpeg2 than purevideo? It must however play nice with ArcSoft since that would be used for h.264.

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit
Old 10-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

I too would like to know the best mpeg2, mpeg4, and audio codecs to use with sage. Also, what the best render setting is.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

The Nvidia Purevideo codecs are generally considered the best codecs for standard definition MPEG 2 files. Nvidia used to sell them separately but I don't know if they still do. If they don't you can buy the Theatertek DVD player program which has them built-in. You can then use the Nvidia PureVideo codecs in Sage.

And yes the codecs will work on ATI cards as well as that's what I'm doing. One thing though which can be a bit confusing, Nvidia uses the term PureVideo to refer to both hardware and software. You want the PureVideo software codecs not the rest of the PureVideo hardware or software

As for display modes there are two for Windows XP, overlay and VMR9. In Vista there are three display modes, overlay, VMR9 and EVR but Sage doesn't support EVR. I use XP so I'm limited to using overlay or VMR9 and I prefer overlay. Some people like VMR9 as it supposed to give a superior picture but it doesn't on my old TV.

Add on to that the problems a lot of people have had with using VMR9 on Sage such as images that stutter or tear even on computers with powerful CPUs and video cards. Plus VMR9 gets total control of the display locking out other programs' displays which has caused quite a few problems. Search this forum for VMR9 and you will find a lot of problems with it. But some people have had success with it.