SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Sage User

Noob with a few questions about server/extender setup

I am just learning about SageTV and I think it will do exactly what I have been wanting to do for a long time now but I would like some clarification on a few issues. I have Comcast cable and I am building a WHS.

1. If I run Sage Server on WHS, should I have a cable box and HD-PVR connected directly to the server or would it be better to do that on a client machine and move the recorded HD to the WHS overnight?

2. Will the media extender stream live TV if I have a cable box hooked up to the server? In other words, does having the extender replace the need for additional cable boxes? If that is possible, would watching live HD with an extender while the server is also recording be to taxing on the server's performance? If it would be too taxing then can the extender receive a stream from an client pc with a cable box attached?

3. If it can stream live TV, can it stream different shows to multiple extenders simultaneously?

4. I was using MCE2005 until my machine started acting up and I do not want to use that anymore but I really like the My Movies plugin since I can use movie posters instead of DVD covers and all the actor, plot, etc. is easy to add and edit. Does Sage have a similar plugin?

Thanks for those that take the time to respond, I really appreciate it.

Chris
Old 09-30-2008, 02:16 PM
SageTVaholic

1. Connect the cable box the the HD-PVR to the server. I set my WHS that way.
2.Yes. With the HD-PVR it is a single tuner. You can't watch LiveTV AND record with it. You CAN watch a recording and record with it. (It's called LiveTv but it is actually a recording in real time)
3. You can with more tuners.
4. Use the DVDPro2Sage plugin along with DVD Profiler. (It's DVD covers-not movie posters.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.