SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

VMC to SageTV questions

1st post - be kind ...

I am a longtime Canadian MCE user (2002) - still have MCE 2005 in den but my main machine that I have been using recently is Vista Ultimate.
I use it for my main DVR and I am seriously contemplating moving to Sage so I can use Hauppauge HD-PVR's in my setup.

Here is my current tuner setup using Rogers Cable:
SA3250HD STB -->S-Video --> HVR-1600
SA3250HD STB -->S-Video --> PVR-250
Both are controlled by Microsoft Windows Media Centre IR remote control using it's IR blasters.

I have been using this system since Vista's release and of course there are good points and bad points.

What I need help with is direction to modify my system to use SageTV and two HD-PVR's.
I would want to control the two SA3250HD boxes similar to now but I am not real clear how/if it all works.

With the HD-PVR's can I still use the MCE blasters to change channels just like I do now?
If the stb's inputs are through the HD-PVR then the Hauppauge 250 and 1600 are not used - right?
Could I use a satellite box to the 1600 and retire the 250? If I add this box then how do I change channels?

I have tried using firewire recording hacks to VMC but I had no luck at all (although I could change channels on the STB's).

Should I be looking at a different IR control if I wanted to add MORE than two tuner devices? If so what should I use?

I read through the MCE to SageTV guide supplied in the forums and I think I could accomplish the change ok.
Some of the comments in the forums about errors and problems scare me a bit but I have been following Sage through these boards for a long time and I think if it wasn't a good product it would not have lasted this long and have such a strong user following.

What would your suggestions be?
Should I reconfigure my system using existing hardware to try out the Sage software BEFORE I buy the HD-PVR's or should I just go head-first and configure the system once with new hardware?

With all this equipment maybe I should move the equipment away from my tv and then use an extender? What would be the drawbacks, if any, to that?

Sorry for the long post but I will value any comments!

Dwight
Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Welcome!
Quote:
What I need help with is direction to modify my system to use SageTV and two HD-PVR's.
I would want to control the two SA3250HD boxes similar to now but I am not real clear how/if it all works.

With the HD-PVR's can I still use the MCE blasters to change channels just like I do now?
That's correct. Although I'm not sure if the MCE blasters are supported natively by SageTV. this thread might help answer that

Quote:
If the stb's inputs are through the HD-PVR then the Hauppauge 250 and 1600 are not used - right?
Right
Quote:
Could I use a satellite box to the 1600 and retire the 250? If I add this box then how do I change channels?
Yes you could. If you add a satellite box though you'll only be getting the non-HD out of it - and you'll need another IR blaster to control the box.

Quote:
I have tried using firewire recording hacks to VMC but I had no luck at all (although I could change channels on the STB's).
You can use firewire for channel changing any or all of the boxes with SageTV. I don't do this yet but I hear its much faster for channel changes.

Quote:
Should I reconfigure my system using existing hardware to try out the Sage software BEFORE I buy the HD-PVR's or should I just go head-first and configure the system once with new hardware?
I think you'll be perfectly happy with SageTV, but if it were me I'd do the trial (when you have plenty of time to test everything) with the exact same setup you have today. Make sure everything works as you want it to and get things just so. THEN buy the HD-PVRs - again I'd purchase one and make sure it worked okay and THEN buy the second one.

Quote:
With all this equipment maybe I should move the equipment away from my tv and then use an extender? What would be the drawbacks, if any, to that?
I recommend you do this for sure. Use the HTPC as a server and use the HD Extender as your TV-connected device. It makes things much easier and the extender is a great piece of equipment.
Drawbacks to this?
  • HD Extender is out of stock at the moment
  • Can't currently do Netflix Watch-Now playback or online radio playback on the HD Extender without a hack
  • No optical drive on the HD Extender.
The pros far outweight the cons though. I have two HD Extenders and they are on my list of smartest gadget purchases.

Hope that helps - feel free to ask more as you have questions.