SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Sage Expert

Has Sage Made Any Progress on Stuttering?

I gave up Sage about 6 months ago because I got tired of dealing with the stuttering issue, which was worse on my new PC than my old less powerful PC.

But WNC is a PITA. Has Sage made any progress at all fixing the issues?
Old 09-28-2008, 06:42 AM
SageTVaholic

You don't give a lot to go on with your setup, but I would think that stuttering is not common problem, and in some cases, it's not even Sage's fault. Stuttering can be caused by a lot of different configuration, including network issues (especially wireless), filesystem issues (IO, fragmentation), and in Windows, you have a whole set of codec hell to deal with.

In your case were you running client/server on the same box? over the network? wired, wireless? Any other applications running, virus scanner, spyware tools, etc?

I stream HD content from my humble server to my HD extender over 100mbit network, and I've yet to experience stuttering.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Working ok for me. Could you point me to the thread where you were discussing this issue to jog my memory?

I haven't seen many (if any) posts on stuttering problems lately so I'm assuming that if there was an issue it has been fixed, but the best way to find out would be to try it out again on the PC you were experiencing the issues.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:12 AM
Sage Icon

http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=31833

perhaps this one?
Old 09-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Sage Expert

The reason I posted this thread was I didn't see a lot of current discussion of stuttering. 2 years ago it was very common. With my old HTPC it was only a problem once the recording got to be over 2 hours long, and I was currently recording the same problem. With the new one it was a constant problem, and I did all the standard things to try to fix it, without a solution.

It does seem good that it isn't a common problem now, but I'd like to know that they actually did something to fix it in one of the latest versions, as opposed to just no one is reporting it any longer.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
Yes, that's the thread. I'd forgotten it was a random issue, not a constant issue.

The machine is a standard HP 3330f. It plays back fine under WMC.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Honestly, if I were you I'd fire up the latest version of SageTV and see if you're still seeing the issue. I don't think its a common problem for most so thats the only way to be sure.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Honestly, if I were you I'd fire up the latest version of SageTV and see if you're still seeing the issue. I don't think its a common problem for most so thats the only way to be sure.
But if they haven't made any changes to the way Sage handles audio and video, I don't see that it would be very likely to help. I really do like Sage a lot better, but I need some hope that it will be better.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
But if they haven't made any changes to the way Sage handles audio and video, I don't see that it would be very likely to help. I really do like Sage a lot better, but I need some hope that it will be better.
I don't know of any issue that they would have fixed unless you had filed a issue ticket with SageTV and were waiting for a response from them. Do you think it was an issue with the SageTV software or something else in your setup (decoders etc?)

Last edited by Brent; 09-28-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Sage Icon

I had some stuttering on my old, slow computer that used a Althon XP +2100 and 1 gig of memory. I also had stuttering problems on my MVP when I did not have the necessary ports open. I also had stuttering before I used 64K block size. I haven't had stuttering for a very long time now with the newer hardware.

Can you tell us what type of hardware you are using? Are you using 64K block size? If you have an MVP, are the ports open?

Dave
Old 10-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

I did not realize I had some microstutter. My brother would not watch a football or basketball game using sage, I had to use the cable box. I thought he was crazy, until I got the HD 100. The picture is much smoother, I must have gotten used to the stutter and did not even see it anymore. The HD 100 is a great device It has cleared up 100% of my playback problems.