SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Sage User

comskip help please

I'm a newbie to all this so please bear with me.
I have searched all the forums and can't find an answer.
I have installed the comskip playback stv
I have installed the comskip monitor v2.7

I now need to know what folder to put the comskip files in.
THEN how do I actually begin getting sage to run comskip and process files to end up with an mpg file with no commercials?

any help is really appreciated.

eclas
Old 09-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclas View Post
I now need to know what folder to put the comskip files in.
Put them in the SageTV install folder, typically C:\Program Files\SageTV/SageTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclas View Post
THEN how do I actually begin getting sage to run comskip and process files to end up with an mpg file with no commercials?
Comskip alone does not remove the commercials from the mpg. The mpg remains the same, but comskip creates files which identifies where the commercials are located (or its best guess of that anyway).

You can then use a comskip plugin (which it sounds like you already loaded) so that SageTV looks for the corresponding *.edl file and when present, automatically skips over the commercial breaks identified by Comskip. Or if you use SageMC instead of the default STV, it will do this by default.

If you want to physically remove the commercials, look at things like ComClean. However, before you do that experiment with Comskip alone so you get a feel for how it does in detection on the specific programs you watch.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the reply.
I put the comskip files in the sagetv folder and also a copy of them in the \Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\STVs\SageTV3 folder as I saw that somewhere else in the forum.
I figured it didn't matter and it'll find comskip if it's in both places.

So now I go to my video library and click on a video. Then I clicked on 'Run Comskip' but nothing happens. I checked the folder where the video is and there are no files (.edl etc) being generated.

Sorry to be so dense but I can't seem to figure out how to actually get comskip working on a file.

eclas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Put them in the SageTV install folder, typically C:\Program Files\SageTV/SageTV

Comskip alone does not remove the commercials from the mpg. The mpg remains the same, but comskip creates files which identifies where the commercials are located (or its best guess of that anyway).

You can then use a comskip plugin (which it sounds like you already loaded) so that SageTV looks for the corresponding *.edl file and when present, automatically skips over the commercial breaks identified by Comskip. Or if you use SageMC instead of the default STV, it will do this by default.

If you want to physically remove the commercials, look at things like ComClean. However, before you do that experiment with Comskip alone so you get a feel for how it does in detection on the specific programs you watch.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

look at the dirmon thread. there are a couple of methods but the principle is to have a utility to monitor for new files and then trigger comskip to run on them as required. this creates the comskip files which sage will then read upon playback allowing commercial skipping. its a bit of a palava setting it up but well worth the effort. comskip on my server is probably better than 90 percent accurate.

ps sorry for the lack of capitals, shift means putting my coffee down
Old 09-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Try using Comskip Monitor. It is extremely easy to set up and configure and it doesn't care where you put the Comskip files; you just tell it.

Check it out here:
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=20358

Wayne
Old 09-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszoo View Post
Try using Comskip Monitor. It is extremely easy to set up and configure and it doesn't care where you put the Comskip files; you just tell it.

Check it out here:
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=20358

Wayne
Comskip monitor is doing the job! Thanks.

Now is there anyway to automate comskip with comskip clean to actually create the mpg file without the commercials?

I can do 1 file at a time with the comclean.bat file but it'd be nice if you could automate a batch job somehow.

thanks again,
eclas
Old 09-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Now is there anyway to automate comskip with comskip clean to actually create the mpg file without the commercials?
I did this with video redo a couple of years ago, and it worked fine - it was totally automated. I stopped only becuase it wasn't worth the CPU time to chop files that I was going to be deleting as soon as I watched them anyways.

Now that I record more kids movies off the air, it might be worth investigating it again.

Anyway, search here (and google) for video redo, and you should find something. I'm sure there are other options, that's just what I've used.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:32 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
I did this with video redo a couple of years ago, and it worked fine - it was totally automated. I stopped only becuase it wasn't worth the CPU time to chop files that I was going to be deleting as soon as I watched them anyways.

Now that I record more kids movies off the air, it might be worth investigating it again.

Anyway, search here (and google) for video redo, and you should find something. I'm sure there are other options, that's just what I've used.
I do have video redo tvsuite.
However I don't know how to tie it all together with the .edl files after comskip monitor does it's thing.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Sage Icon

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31029

here is one thread. Looks like you may have to generate .vprj versus (or in addition to) .edl files.

Matt