SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Sage Icon

HDHR+PVR500 or HVR-2250

I borrowed my buddies HDHR to see how well it works and how many QAM channels I get through my cable co.
I only get 7 channels but it is enough for me to buy the HDHR.
However, I was wondering if I should just buy the HVR-2250 instead of the HDHR and replace it with my PVR-500?
I know the first disadvantage would be the loss 2 tuners but I plan to add at least one HD-PVR and would have no foreseable conflicts with 6 useable tuners. 3xUSB2's, 1xHD-PVR and the 4 tuners on the 2250 (only 2 useable at a time).
Will I get better quality with analog cable recording using the 2250 over the 500? How about the QAM streams? Is there any dis/advantages to using the 2250 instead of an HDHR?
Is the 2250 easier to setup than the HDHR?
Please chime in for those with one of these 2250 cards...
Old 09-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Sage User

I haven't been able to get the 2250 to work reliably with Analog or ClearQam cable (Comcast). I'm new to SageTV so it could be me.

My setup does work fine with VMC (analog cable). So, I don't think it's hardware related.

Waiting for official 2250 support from SageTV ....
Old 09-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac View Post
Will I get better quality with analog cable recording using the 2250 over the 500?
In my case, there is no comparison. The 2250 analog signal is VASTLY superior to my PVR-500 tuners. But I have one of the "bad" 500's and so relegated it to using s-video input instead of tuning a signal itself.

So although I own both (and the HDHR and HD-PVR), my comparison of the 500 to 2250 is perhaps not significant. I will say the analog signal on my 2250 is very good though.

Remember they take different slots, so you could just leave the 500 in place as additional tuners with a lower merit to help avoid conflicts.

Quote:
How about the QAM streams? Is there any dis/advantages to using the 2250 instead of an HDHR?
I just setup the digital tuners in my 2250 a couple of days ago, so I don't have many samples with which to judge. From what I can tell, the clear QAM recordings on my 2250 are virtually the same quality as the HDHR.

This stands to reason because both are basically just encapsulating and saving the video stream with no transcoding. I don't have signal strength problems with either the HDHR or 2250, but I use a 8-way splitter / amplifier.

Advantages of the 2250 vs HDHR:
  • Keeps capture traffic off the network
  • One less power brick and external box in the clutter
  • No need to use HDHR manager (and I'm not sure that is needed anymore either with the HDHR with direct QAM tunning supported)

Advantage of the HDHR vs 2250:
  • Does not reduce number of analog tuners concurrently available
  • Can do both QAM and ATSC tuning (2250 has single input)
  • Channel lineup editor is easy to use; integrates with their lineup server
  • Silicondust lineup server (will be more beneficial when they can proactively let you know channels were moved on you)
  • Tech support that can diagnose your specific conditions by simply checking a couple of boxes to auto-send diagnostic data to them
  • Extremely responsive tech support on their forum
  • Firmware can be very easily updated as they add features
  • Picks up dozens of music channels not detected by Sage auto scan (maybe you can add those manually if you care?)
  • You can feed VLC and multicast the stream (but with Sage, who cares?)

Quote:
Is the 2250 easier to setup than the HDHR?
I'd say the other way around. The HDHR channel lineup editor is easier. But perhaps it seems that way in part because I was more used to it. When mapping my 2250, I just opened my HDHR lineup editor on another display to help me find all the values I wanted to use in my remaps.

But I don't consider the setup of either one to be a significant factor.

Right now the hardest thing about the 2250 is getting one -- they are not quite as elusive as a HD100 but finding stock anywhere is an exercise in futility.

In short, I am very pleased with both my HDHR and 2250, and the HD-PVR for that matter.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Sage Icon

Looks like my best option is to wait until I can get a 2250, then return my buddy's HDHR and keep my 500 (Make it lowest priority).

Thanx for the help Sam...