SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Sage User

MVP for cable only

Is there any way to only allow the MediaMVP to watch SD cable only. I know you can set the merit of the tuners, but that doesn't help me.

Here is my proposed setup:

1 dvb-s card for sat
1 ATSC/QAM card for Clear QAM Locals in HD
3 analog tuners for cable
3 MediaMVP

I just want the MediaMVPs to watch the analog stuff and want to be able to watch the Sat/HD stuff in my theater off of the server. I set the merit for the analog tuners higher than the QAM and DVB cards but someone watching a sat channel on the MVP basically locks me out of my sat channels on the server. I guess I could setup 2 SageTV servers (one for HD and one for SD), but I was trying to avoid the extra cost.

I guess my question is there a way to set the priorty of the server higher than the other clients?

So the client on the server is the highest and the MVPs are the lowest.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

You want the MVPs to only be able to view the SD content? I don't think that is possible with sage. To my knowledge sage does not "flag" SD and HD content. Maybe if you use the hauppuage software to view the recordings directory, only showing mpg files, but then you won't be able to control Sage from the extender. IIRC, sage "pools" all content to be available to all users equally.

Maybe with a custom STVi with only the Imported videos menu available, after you to moved the SD content to the imported videos folder, but you probably would lose the Detailed Info associated with the recording.s.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Sage User

Basically, I want the client that is running on the server to have control over my dvb-s card and the MVPs to control the other analog cards.

I have thought maybe I can move all the HD channels to higher channel numbers to keep the kids from connecting to them by mistake.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by w84no1 View Post
Basically, I want the client that is running on the server to have control over my dvb-s card and the MVPs to control the other analog cards.
The ability to do this is something Sage should really consider. I have the same issue with two MVP's and two HD100's. The restriction should be on a "per lineup" basis with the ability to override per channel. Maybe Ver. 7.0 ???

Rich

Last edited by dadof4; 09-25-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:48 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof4 View Post
The ability to do this is something Sage should really consider. I have the same issue with two MVP's and two HD100's. The restriction should be on a "per lineup" basis with the ability to override per channel. Maybe Ver. 7.0 ???

Rich
Yes, once I can get my hands on a HD100, I will have to rethink how things work.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

I used to do the following:

Use the filter in the recordings folder to select "Not HDTV" for HDTV recordings. That keeps them from showing in the recordings folder.

Then I use the Favorite Channel Lists plugin to make a channel lineup for the MVPs that does not have HD channels.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...+channel+lists

Worked pretty good most of the time..
Old 09-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Video Source per extender

Here is the main reason I would like to be able to limit video souces to a HD100 or MVP.

My HD-PVRs are far superior to my PVR150 and PVR1600 as far as image quality for analog channels when output on my HD100s. Since I also have MVPs I can not enable the HD-PVR analog channels as the MVPs can not play them. Therefore I can only enable analog channels on the PVR150 and PVR1600. This forces me to live with the inferior output from the PVR150/1600 on the HD100s. On my system the difference in quality is extreme.

Ver 7.0....Please???

Rich
Old 09-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Favorite channel lists will do this as suggested above.You can set up a custom category containing all the channels you wish to be accessible from the mvp and limit it's access only to this category. I use it in conjuction with parental controls and have the client in my daughters bedroom limited to channels in my 'Kids' category. The plugin allows you to set global lists that are stored on the server and local lists for each machine, you can set the preference on each client independantly. I don't have one but I assume the mvp setup is similar to the client and can be set to use a local favorite channels list rather than the list stored on the server.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetc View Post
Favorite channel lists will do this as suggested above.You can set up a custom category containing all the channels you wish to be accessible from the mvp and limit it's access only to this category. I use it in conjuction with parental controls and have the client in my daughters bedroom limited to channels in my 'Kids' category. The plugin allows you to set global lists that are stored on the server and local lists for each machine, you can set the preference on each client independantly. I don't have one but I assume the mvp setup is similar to the client and can be set to use a local favorite channels list rather than the list stored on the server.
Cool, I am going to install the plugin now.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I just looked it over and I don't think I'm grasping it. I have four video sources that can use, for example, channel 48. I want my MVP's to be able to use only my PVR150 and PVR1600 for channel 48. I want my HD100's to only use my HD-PVR's for channel 48. Can this plugin do this? If so this is exactly what I am looking for.

Rich
Old 09-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof4 View Post
Thanks for the info. I just looked it over and I don't think I'm grasping it. I have four video sources that can use, for example, channel 48. I want my MVP's to be able to use only my PVR150 and PVR1600 for channel 48. I want my HD100's to only use my HD-PVR's for channel 48. Can this plugin do this? If so this is exactly what I am looking for.

Rich
As long as you can isolate the two variations of channel 48 from each other within your channel setup, then yes. If not then no. I guess that means if you have channel 48 SD and channel 48 HD rather than just channel 48.
If all else fails and you cannot find another way then it maybe worth looking into finding a way to include them with seperate listings. If you can do this then this plugin will achieve your goal.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
As long as you can isolate the two variations of channel 48 from each other within your channel setup, then yes. If not then no. I guess that means if you have channel 48 SD and channel 48 HD rather than just channel 48.
If all else fails and you cannot find another way then it maybe worth looking into finding a way to include them with seperate listings. If you can do this then this plugin will achieve your goal.
And you could isolate them by going into each tuners lineup and re-mapping the channel number to something like 48.1 for the HD100, 48-1 for the HDPVR, or something similar. It is possible to do what you want.. Just name the channels in each tuners lineup so you can build a list..