SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:51 PM

no serial cable channel changing for me, right?

Hello,

So I'm building my first htpc for my brother. I have it set up and it seems to be coming together, although slowly. I have a theatrix 550 card (not ati but some other brand.)

So with this card, I assume that I have to run the coaxial through the stb. When I ran the coaxial directly into the card before the box, it only got 30 channels. When I run the cable from the box, I get them all. So my next hurdle is to get channel changing working. I have a null modem serial cable but I couldn't get the channels to change.

So I call up Time Warner in Hollywood to get them to activate the serial port on my brothers Motorola DCT2244. They told me that they don't have any boxes that support this sort of thing. They disabled all of the serial ports on all of their STB's so that I'd be encouraged to buy their pvr service at $10 a month.

So I have a couple of questions. First, I'm stuck right? At this point I have to buy some sort of IR solution to change the channels, right? And second, I'm trying to spend as little as possible. The USB_UIRT thing is $50!!! I want something simpler than this, just an IR emitter to change the channel. Any suggestions as to what I should get?

Thanks in advance.
-Todd
Old 09-08-2008, 05:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by telliott View Post
Hello,

So I'm building my first htpc for my brother. I have it set up and it seems to be coming together, although slowly. I have a theatrix 550 card (not ati but some other brand.)

So with this card, I assume that I have to run the coaxial through the stb. When I ran the coaxial directly into the card before the box, it only got 30 channels. When I run the cable from the box, I get them all. So my next hurdle is to get channel changing working. I have a null modem serial cable but I couldn't get the channels to change.

So I call up Time Warner in Hollywood to get them to activate the serial port on my brothers Motorola DCT2244. They told me that they don't have any boxes that support this sort of thing. They disabled all of the serial ports on all of their STB's so that I'd be encouraged to buy their pvr service at $10 a month.

So I have a couple of questions. First, I'm stuck right? At this point I have to buy some sort of IR solution to change the channels, right? And second, I'm trying to spend as little as possible. The USB_UIRT thing is $50!!! I want something simpler than this, just an IR emitter to change the channel. Any suggestions as to what I should get?

Thanks in advance.
-Todd
You could use the microsoft IR blaster that comes with the MCE remote. The combo usually runs around $30 bucks; however, there is not native support within Sage for this device so you have to use exetuner plug in to make it work which makes it all the more difficult....

I didn't want to spend $50 either, and even own a microsoft IR blaster, but I decided I didn't want to have to mess with a non-native device and I am glad I did.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-08-2008, 06:30 PM

Thanks for your reply Paul. Ok, so I'm starting to be convinced that I should just go with the USB-UIRT because it will be seamless and easy for an extra $20. I'm still hesitant because A.) it's $60 with shipping and B.) the thing is pretty huge and I'm having a hard time envisioning how I'm going to get it to face the stb without draping cords across the room or have it facing the stb without having it completely block the display. I saw the ir emitter that comes with a tivo, and it's super small with only the tiny IR diode protruding. I assume that is because the hardware is inside the tivo, while in the usb-uirt's case, it's all in the box at the end of the cord.

What is the additional 56KHz IR Sensor used for? Is that something that I will find useful later on (when I figure out what I'm doing?)

As long as I'm spending $60 on something, is there a capture card that would allow me to not have to go through the cable box at all? I'd rather buy a second capture card if I can and then have no need to change the channel on the stb.

Either way, can I take up some space and rant here at no one in particular? I can't believe how Time Warner disables those serial ports. Here I have the hardware that can solve my problem sitting two feet from my computer, and I can't get the thing to work because I don't own the cable box and therefore can't touch the software. So instead of Time Warner getting $10 a month from me, I have to give my money to a third party. Time Warner doesn't win and I sure as hell don't win as I'm out $60. Is this what they teach in business school these days?

Last edited by telliott; 09-08-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:17 PM
SageTVaholic

The 56k ir sensor is necessary if your STB needs uses that wavelength for learning codes. If you don't go this option, and you end up needing it, there is probably a good chance someone on these forums has the setup you need to use (no guarentee though).

As for the size....It isn't that big really. While I don't have mine in front of me, it's only about 2.5"L X 1.5"W x .75"H. It isn't tiny, but I expected it to be bigger than it turned out to be.

As far as capturing video.....to capture all channels you currently have via Sage is to use an STB. A standard SD tuner card will only capture your 2-70ish channels (in other words Basic cable). You can also use a Clear QAM tuner to pick up any digital channels that your cable company doesn't encrypt. Most likely with Time Warner, the only non-encrypted digital channels will be your locals in HD.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
The 56k ir sensor is necessary if your STB needs uses that wavelength for learning codes. If you don't go this option, and you end up needing it, there is probably a good chance someone on these forums has the setup you need to use (no guarentee though).

<snip>
I believe that is incorrect. The information about the 56k IR sensor on the USB-UIRT is very confusing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that the additional sensor is only necessary if you want the USB-UIRT to receive signals from a 56k IR remote in OPERATIONAL usage. I believe that it can learn 56k IR and send 56K IR without the additional sensor. If you don't plan to sit on your couch and try to change channels and stuff with a 56k IR remote in your hand, you don't need the extra sensor.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:16 PM

Thank you all for your help. It looks like I have a USB-UIRT purchase to make. Sigh.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by telliott View Post
Thanks for your reply Paul. Ok, so I'm starting to be convinced that I should just go with the USB-UIRT because it will be seamless and easy for an extra $20. I'm still hesitant because A.) it's $60 with shipping and B.) the thing is pretty huge and I'm having a hard time envisioning how I'm going to get it to face the stb without draping cords across the room or have it facing the stb without having it completely block the display. I saw the ir emitter that comes with a tivo, and it's super small with only the tiny IR diode protruding. I assume that is because the hardware is inside the tivo, while in the usb-uirt's case, it's all in the box at the end of the cord.
I tried to post this yesterday, but it didn't post for some reason....

There is a stereo jack on the back of the USB-UIRT that would allow you to connect 1 or 2 small stick-on emitters. This allows you to stick the smaller emitters on the STB and not require line of site from the main blaster on the front of the USB-UIRT.

Something like this.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 09-10-2008, 11:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoundz View Post
I believe that is incorrect. The information about the 56k IR sensor on the USB-UIRT is very confusing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that the additional sensor is only necessary if you want the USB-UIRT to receive signals from a 56k IR remote in OPERATIONAL usage. I believe that it can learn 56k IR and send 56K IR without the additional sensor. If you don't plan to sit on your couch and try to change channels and stuff with a 56k IR remote in your hand, you don't need the extra sensor.

How would learning IR codes and receiving IR commands in "operational usage" be any diffierent? How can you learn IR codes if your box can't receive IR signals? IF your cable box uses 56k IR commands, you have to train the usb-uirt to use the 56k ir commands and therefore would need to have a 56k ir receiver to be trained.....

Someone help me understand if I am still missing this....