SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Sage User

Sage doesn't do ISO files? It looks like that answer just cost them my purchase of two Hauppauge HD PVR's, server software, software for my laptop and two of the HD devices. I was pretty impressed with their forward thinking, but how did they drop the ball like this? I mean I can understand MS and Apple avoiding it because they promote their own formats, but are you really telling me that Sage doesn't do what my 5 year old modded XBOX does natively?

I've been reading a few posts about ISO support. I have a 150 ish DVD's in ISO format and it seems like Sage hasn't had the foresight to code this feature into their product. It works natively on my 5 year old modded xbox. Did I mention the software running on that was free?

This weekend, I was going to buy 2 Hauppage HD PVR's, 2 HD Sage devices and software for a server and a laptop. It looks like my money is staying put.

Is there any plans to fix this or should I just find other software. FYI, no uncompressing ISO's into VOB's is NOT a viable option. I really couldn't care less if they support VOB files or not. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Ugh, you're just begging to be flamed with that bad attitude.

But moving on, no Sage doesn't currently support ISO but most of us have accepted this and just started using VIDEO_TS folders. If that's not an option for you I'd suggest emailing Sage Support and asking if they have any plans to add support for ISO's in the next version. They're usually pretty forthcoming and helpful.

If that doesn't work, I know BeyondTV doesn't support them but think MCE may support ISO's via the MyMovies plug-in.

Last edited by evilpenguin; 09-05-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Sage User

My attitude is astonishment and if people want to flame that they can flame away. I was all excited that I'd found a solution to pair with the first consumer level component capture card, but now it seems like they don't get it. Given that things like VLC and the made by amateurs xbox software can do it, there's no excuse for it not to work. Thanks for the info though. I'll dig around on MCE support.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:05 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm not sure if it still works, but here is a link to a customization for mounting ISO's. If you want anything better, you'll have to submit the feature request to SageTV just like EP said.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ight=mount+iso

Aloha,
Mike

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot...
Old 09-06-2008, 03:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcmaniac View Post
My attitude is astonishment and if people want to flame that they can flame away. I was all excited that I'd found a solution to pair with the first consumer level component capture card, but now it seems like they don't get it. Given that things like VLC and the made by amateurs xbox software can do it, there's no excuse for it not to work. Thanks for the info though. I'll dig around on MCE support.
You have to understand that in contrast to what you have quoted, SageTV is a commercial software that may have legal issues if it supports ISO officially.

I vaguely remember though seeing a message that there may be a way to watch ISOs on an HD extender....

Don't know what the current state of things are.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29528

Last edited by Lucas; 09-06-2008 at 04:25 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am sure Sage is just beside themselves

But seriously, your attitude could use a little adjusting, most people here are pretty civil to one another and helpful, that is unless the post begins like yours does.

I dont have an answer for you, but I am sure someone here does, I just had to take the bait.
"Life is a banquet and most people are starving to death!"
Old 09-06-2008, 02:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Sage doesn't do ISO files?
No it doesn't, nothing does. XBMC is one of only two apps I know of with native ISO support.

Almost nothing supports ISOs natively because they're a big PITA to deal with.

BeyondTV, Meedio, MediaPortal, none of them support ISOs natively, the best anyone supports is mounting and launching a 3rd party app, but that doesn't work for extenders (sage does have a customization to do that).

Quote:
It looks like that answer just cost them my purchase of two Hauppauge HD PVR's, server software, software for my laptop and two of the HD devices. I was pretty impressed with their forward thinking, but how did they drop the ball like this? I mean I can understand MS and Apple avoiding it because they promote their own formats, but are you really telling me that Sage doesn't do what my 5 year old modded XBOX does natively?
Because XBMC is one of the only apps that didn't "realize" ISOs are totally pointless and overcomplicated.

Quote:
I've been reading a few posts about ISO support. I have a 150 ish DVD's in ISO format and it seems like Sage hasn't had the foresight to code this feature into their product. It works natively on my 5 year old modded xbox. Did I mention the software running on that was free?
And one of the only "products" that supports ISO natively.

Quote:
This weekend, I was going to buy 2 Hauppage HD PVR's, 2 HD Sage devices and software for a server and a laptop. It looks like my money is staying put.
Let us know if you find anything that support the HD PVR and ISOs natively.

Quote:
Is there any plans to fix this or should I just find other software. FYI, no uncompressing ISO's into VOB's is NOT a viable option.
Why not, it would open you up to 10x the HTPC apps if you drop the requirement for native ISO support. ISO is an all but abandoned format for storing DVDs.

Last edited by stanger89; 09-06-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

How about this thread

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29528
Old 09-06-2008, 02:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkyjoe View Post
Seems like it's a happy accident it works at all there.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Why do people even convert to ISO?

Is it so there is simply one file to deal with instead of multiple files?

So what are the other benefits? Oh thats right NONE!

I have an XBMC as well, I play my ripped DVD collection off of my server using the regular DVD structure and it works great, full menu support and the like.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Sage Icon

It's clear to me that this guy spent time ripping his DVDs to ISO, and is burnt that no one supports it.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

but can't an ISO can be unpacked back into the regular DVD folder structure? it's not anything has been lost... except time.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
It's clear to me that this guy spent time ripping his DVDs to ISO, and is burnt that no one supports it.
Only person he can blame is himself for choosing .iso over standard DVD folder structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnh View Post
but can't an ISO can be unpacked back into the regular DVD folder structure? it's not anything has been lost... except time.
Yes, you can unpack an .iso to regular DVD structure.

The OP is being a little ridiculous IMO.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:39 PM
SageTVaholic

In fact, all you need to do is install winrar and you can batch unpack them all and delete the originals with a single right-click. No fancy tools necessary.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Sage User

"Only person he can blame is himself for choosing .iso over standard DVD folder structure."

The OP isn't going to spend the better part of $1000 with this company if they completely ignore the request that has been made on these forums consistently for as far back as I can search. In so far as why ISO. For the devices that do support it, it streams better than VOB and yes, I do fully realize that it's a DVD image and what that means. Even Netgear's own 8000HD device prefers ISO. According to Netgear, and I mean what would they know about networking, streaming one file is far better than streaming multiple files.

In the end, it's about money and a company that doesn't listen to its customers and doesn't have an official stand on this. They quasi support it in their HD device, but don't support it well. Given that they do sort of support it, the arguments around legal liability are out the window. Either they don't support it for legal reasons and thus its not in any product or they haven't bothered listening to customers and haven't bothered porting it.

In terms of who supports it? There's a plug-in for both MCE and MediaPortal (the latter being entirely free). There are several streaming devices that support it. VLC does a great job of playing it. Better than VOB's in my experience.

"Only person he can blame is himself for choosing .iso over standard DVD folder structure."

I should blame myself? What for? I chose a format that works better. Sage can blame itself for losing out on $750 and another $250 when I buy a second tuner for my solution.

"Yes, you can unpack an .iso to regular DVD structure."

I can or I could just not buy the Sage software.

"I have an XBMC as well, I play my ripped DVD collection off of my server using the regular DVD structure and it works great, full menu support and the like."

In my experience over the last year watching probably 100 DVD's streamed from a server to an mXBOX via a wirelessly bridged network, ISO's are far more stable than VOB's. I get no stuttering with them. The same can't be said for VOB's.

I have to say, I'm rather surprised to see a large group of people who are backing a company that charges for the software, but in this case is completely ignoring a large number of development request from a large number of current and potential users. You have to ask yourself, what other features could be in the product if they were spending more time listening to their customer base.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
The OP isn't going to spend the better part of $1000 with this company if they completely ignore the request that has been made on these forums consistently for as far back as I can search.
Making a request on these forums is not the same as making an official request to Sage.

Quote:
Even Netgear's own 8000HD device prefers ISO.
Perhaps you should buy one of those instead.

Quote:
In the end, it's about money and a company that doesn't listen to its customers
Complete and utter rubbish!! If you've spent any time using the product (which you haven't) you'd know how wrong this statement is.

Quote:
There's a plug-in for both MCE and MediaPortal (the latter being entirely free).
Both MCE and MediaPortal can not even come close to being considered the same calibre of software that SageTV is.....and I'm speaking from experience.

Quote:
I should blame myself? What for? I chose a format that works better.
Works better? That's completely an opinion, and nothing more. I have absolutely no problems watching my ripped DVD's which are not in .iso format.

Quote:
Sage can blame itself for losing out on $750 and another $250 when I buy a second tuner for my solution.
I'm sure they're heartbroken about it too. One less raving lunatic to provide support to.

Quote:
"Yes, you can unpack an .iso to regular DVD structure."

I can or I could just not buy the Sage software.
Please choose whichever option that will also include the ceasing of your incessant whining.

Quote:
In my experience over the last year watching probably 100 DVD's streamed from a server to an mXBOX via a wirelessly bridged network, ISO's are far more stable than VOB's. I get no stuttering with them. The same can't be said for VOB's.
Perhaps you don't have your network setup properly. As I already said, I've personally had NO, NONE, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA, problems with stuttering while streaming VOB's from my server (which is connected via wireless through an Apple Airport Express connected back to my main Airport Extreme router). I've just proven your statement wrong.

Quote:
I have to say, I'm rather surprised to see a large group of people who are backing a company that charges for the software, but in this case is completely ignoring a large number of development request from a large number of current and potential users. You have to ask yourself, what other features could be in the product if they were spending more time listening to their customer base.
You have to ask yourself, why do you feel you need to get on a soapbox over this issue? If you don't like the fact that SageTV doesn't official support .iso's, MOVE ALONG.

People here support Sage because they know it's an incredible product. People also support the company because they DO listen to their users.......you're blinded by your own petty issue to see this.

Last edited by Khristopher; 09-06-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Sage User

I have used just about every HTPC program under the sun, and I can tell you that overall Sage has the best mix of features and stability of them all. I most recently switched from Media Portal (before that it was Myth, before that MCE, etc.) and yes, it does support ISO files - by mounting them using Daemon Tools and then streaming off the virtual drive. Media Portal also has the nice TVSeries plugin, which is the #1 thing I miss from it. But try spending some time using their TVServer and it is an exercise in frustration. Constant problems, rebooting the server at least once a day, WAF of about 10%.

Is Sage perfect? No. But what it does, it does very well, and very solidly. I NEVER have to touch my Sage server anymore. The HD100 extenders are a dream - they just work, with very little setup and no babysitting needed.

To say you are going to completely ignore a product because of some esoteric reason is rash and a little immature IMO. Especially when it's such an easy thing to deal with. My whole DVD collection (200+) started as VIDEO-TS folders, then I converted them to ISO's when I used Myth, then I converted them back to VIDEO_TS folders when I switched to Sage. It's not hard to do at all, and was well worth the effort to gain all the other benefits of Sage.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

HeHe.... Khris, I haven't seen you have so much fun since the BTV Integration days...
Old 09-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDtyF350 View Post
HeHe.... Khris, I haven't seen you have so much fun since the BTV Integration days...
Just speaking my mind. I'm also not above admitting when I'm wrong......and my initial assessment of SageTV (back in my BTV days) was COMPLETELY wrong. Sadly it took a couple years of suffering with BTV before I realized this.

A little off topic, but it blows me away that Snapstream still refuses to develop an integrated product. They've shot themselves in the foot, and really don't seem to care.

To top it off, they're still selling their Beyond Media Joke for $50!!!

Last edited by Khristopher; 09-06-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:56 PM
SageTVaholic

So back to the original issue.....

Why wouldn't you just unpack the ISO's? As stated, this can even be done in a giant batch! Start it before bed, go to work, probably done when you get home.....

Ho hum. With this sort of attitude, I wouldn't want him on Sage anyway because he would be a big pain in the @$$ to help/support.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter

Tags
noob whiner