SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:58 AM
Sage User

WHS---Unmanaged recording drive

I'm going to rebuild my Windows Home Server and I'd really like to have the TV recordings to be part of the large managed drive pool (to allow flexibility in storage space) instead of a separate, unmanaged 64kb formatted drive.

My question for those that have tried it that way is: what are the symptoms of it not working? Does the vid jitter when played or is the sound not synced with the video?

Currently, I store ripped DVDs in the managed drive pool and they play fine through SAGE.
I don't record any HD TV content, and I watch SAGE via a wired Media extender (not the new HD one), if that makes any difference.

Thank you,
Michael in Austin

Last edited by SAGEaustin; 08-28-2008 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Set email notification to ON.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Video jitter, stutter, lose audio sync, etc. And the problem will get worse as more recordings are made.

During the WHS beta I was able to take drives that weren't in the pool, format them with 64K blocks and then bring them into the pool. At the time WHS did not try to reformat them. I haven't tried it with the production version especially since it had that nug for deleting files. PP1 has fixed that but I just haven't had the time to do it. So for the record do your WHS install with only the one drive that will become your system and data partition. ANy extra drives setup as umanaged, outside of the pool and format them with 64k blocks. After all the unmanaged drives are done add them to the managed pool. (If it insists on formatting them again then after they are added copy all the directories and files off somewhere. Go into Disk Administrator and format that drive for 64K blocks and make sure you are formatting the corect drive. Copy those directories and files back on the drive and then reboot the server. You'll have to do it for each drive except your system drive.)

I have rips on the one managed drive I have with no issues. The rest of my drives are unmanaged 64k and are where the recordings and additional rips, music and photos are kept.

Gerry

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.