SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Sage Fanatic

Which Upgrade Path?

Hi All,

Recently I have been having real performance problems using my Server for HD Playback. I am sure I could work with it and figure out why it is now using more CPU, but since I got my 1080P Projector earlier in the year it has become apparent that the 6600GT and Pure Video Decoders are not able to correctly play back 1080i material and the AMD XP 3200+ has seen better days.

So I am considering two upgrading options...I am open to other suggestions as well, but these are the ones that come to mind right now:

1. Buy the following to make my server headless:
SageTV HD Media Extender $199.95
3ft HDMI Cable - $6.71
2X1 Powered HDMI Splitter $68.63 - to display on the projector and TV
50 ft HDMI to DVI Cable - $66.71 - for PS3
PlayStation 3 40GB - $399 - for playing DVDs and BluRay

Total $741.99

2. Buy the following to make my server capable of handling the playback:
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 - $189.99
ASUS P5K Deluxe - $169.99
4 GB Corsair DDR2 800 - $87.00
Sony Blu-Ray DVD ROM SATA - $159.99
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB - $199.99
Mail in Rrbates - +$60.00

Total $746.96

So they both are about the same price...I know that I can probably save money by changing either configuration, but as far as I am concerned they are going to cost me about the same, but get me to same goal state and the reality is that the money is not the issue.

Option 1 gives me several solid playback devices and leaves the server doing just recording...I have never played with COM Skip, converting shows, and do not see me adding them at this point or in the future, I run a play vanilla sage setup. It also gives me the option of playing PS3 video games, but honestly I am not a gamer it is just that I have heard that it is one of the best Blu-ray players on the market for the money and since they are continuing to update the PS3 it seems pretty solid.

Option 2 gives me a very powerful Server/playback machine and the ability to do some playing around and allows me to transcode HD recordings for playback on my two MediaMVPs, which I currently can not do.

Anyone have any thoughts as to which route I should take? Am I missing something that I may want to do in the future by going one way or the other.

Thanks,
John
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP
Old 08-18-2008, 03:45 PM
SageTVaholic

If the extender will do everything you want, I'd got that way, especially if your TV's got a good processor/scaler in it.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Sage Fanatic

Stanger,

I am confused. I would assume that I would use the scalar in the Extender the same way the SageTV PC based client does. Does the extender attempt to send the video signal to the display device in the source material resolution, for example if I watch a program recorded in 480i, or 720P does the extender change the video mode to 480i or 720P instead of staying at a constant 1080P that is native for my projector the same way I do in my PC?

Thanks,
John
Old 08-18-2008, 05:35 PM
SageTVaholic

The best recommendation that I can give the extender is that I spent almost 2 years tweaking/upgrading my PC client trying (and failing) to get it working perfectly and the HDextender worked even better right out of the box.

As long as you can compensate for the lack of a DVD drive I'd say its the path to take.

Last edited by evilpenguin; 08-18-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptaz View Post
Stanger,

I am confused. I would assume that I would use the scalar in the Extender the same way the SageTV PC based client does. Does the extender attempt to send the video signal to the display device in the source material resolution, for example if I watch a program recorded in 480i, or 720P does the extender change the video mode to 480i or 720P instead of staying at a constant 1080P that is native for my projector the same way I do in my PC?

Thanks,
John
You can do it both ways, but the only reason to have the extender output the native resolution is if you own a TV or reciever with a nice, high end, video scaler already built in. Otherwise you'll be just fine letting the HDextender do the heavy lifting.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi all,

Thank you for the feed back. I am leaning toward starting with the extender and only using the Server for DVD playback for the short term. After upgrading to 6.4 and downgrading to Java 1.4.2_17 things are much better. I am not sure which change made the difference but either way CPU utilization is down dramatically and the playback is better than it has been in a while.

I do like the idea of no more fussing with decoder merit and settings with every release.

John
Old 08-19-2008, 05:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hi all,

Thank you for the feed back. I am leaning toward starting with the extender and only using the Server for DVD playback for the short term. After upgrading to 6.4 and downgrading to Java 1.4.2_17 things are much better. I am not sure which change made the difference but either way CPU utilization is down dramatically and the playback is better than it has been in a while.

I do like the idea of no more fussing with decoder merit and settings with every release.

John
I think you may find out that some of the plugins will require a minimum of Java 5 or Java 6. I can't recall which ones that do but if you start seeing issues after a plugin install I would look there first.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:33 AM
Sage Fanatic

I use plain vanilla SageTV. I have never used any plugins.
Thanks for the warning in case I do decide to try any plugins.

John
Old 08-19-2008, 05:36 AM
SageTVaholic

That's kind of odd, for me Java 1.6 was WAY faster (especially on the MVP) than 1.4, I think Sage ships with 1.6 these days too.

As far as scaling, yes, it can do it both ways, but the deinterlacing isn't the greatest, especially if you've got poorly flagged content.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:56 AM
Sage Fanatic

I may see how it does with 1.4 for the next few days and make a new Acronis image and then uninstall Java and install 1.6 and see if it was just the move to 6.4 that fixed my performance issues. Not sure that I care since I am thinking that I will order the extender today. The scaler in my projector is ok, but not great, but I can play with it once I get my extender. For the time being the DVD playback is fine via PC so for the short term I may go to mostly Extender use for day to day and when we do watch DVDs launch SageTV on the server.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Sage Fanatic

Ok...Just pulled the trigger...now I just have to wait for the extender to arrive...hopefully some time early next week.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

You picked the way i did it too. I use my PS3 for DVD playback and my HTPC is now in another room as a headless server. Now that you have more sources, I suggest you go get yourself a universal remote. I suggest the Harmony One. Then all your concerns about keeping everything in one box are gone.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

I am not sure when I am getting the PS3...as for the remote I have an ATI Remote wonder that works with Girder and Several USB UIRTs to control all my HT equipment. I may look at the Harmony so that I am not spending all my time configuring girder for my new equipment, but it is nice that all my equipment is hidden and I do not have to have line of sight for remotes.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:59 AM
SageTVaholic

If you are already adept at working with Girder and USB-UIRTs, you could get away with using ANY remote that has the button configuration/style you want. This is the best feature of using Girder, is that once it is set up, you can literally make any button do exactly what you want it to do.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-26-2008, 05:21 AM
Sage Fanatic

Just got the extender last night and it is awesome. Second best purchase after the original SageTV Server purchase.

Now I just need to program Girder with the new remote codes and move one of the IR Blasters to the Extender.

Does anyone know how tolerate of heat the Extender is? I currently have it on top of my center channel speaker for convenience, but would rather put it in my case under neath the Cable CO DVR...which I will probably we ditching soon since I don't use it as much as I thought for recording HD.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Now I just need to program Girder with the new remote codes and move one of the IR Blasters to the Extender.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. You wouldn't connect any blaster or IR receiver to an HD Extender. Plus the USB ports on the Extender do not support a connection of a device.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

I user Girder and my ATI All In Wonder RF Remote to control all of the my home theater equipment. So I will program the Remote codes from the HD Extender remote into the computer so that I do not have to use the HD Extender remote.

EDIT: Also the IR blasters are placed in front of the devices so that I do not need to have line of site with the devices, thus the joy of an RF remote control.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

I had the extender in the same cabinet as my Onkyo 875 receiver on a shelf about 4 inches above the receiver. The cabinet was vented at the back but had no active cooling. The Onkyo gets very hot in there and the extender never had a problem. I just recently got a fan from Antec that sits on top of the receiver and vents out the back because I was nervous about the receiver, not the extender. I'm not sure I would put it directly on top of hot equipment, but it seemed to handle my situation fine.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I user Girder and my ATI All In Wonder RF Remote to control all of the my home theater equipment. So I will program the Remote codes from the HD Extender remote into the computer so that I do not have to use the HD Extender remote.

EDIT: Also the IR blasters are placed in front of the devices so that I do not need to have line of site with the devices, thus the joy of an RF remote control.
OK-gotcha.

Gerry