SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Sage User

Remote opinions and advice (Harmony, URC, What?)

I was thinking about purchasing a Harmony remote.. probably the 550. I have already experimented with another Harmony remote, but I ran into problems getting the remote to use all of the commands available on the remote, and I didn't like the key layout.
(I use the USB-UIRT, to control my Dish Network STB. )

For example, the way I set it up, the Harmony did not let me teach Sage the guide command, menu command, etc.
I have read in the forums about getting other remotes and teaching the Harmony the missing codes to allow them to be then be taught to Sage.

I suppose my questions are:
1. Is this really the only option with Harmony remotes?
I have a very basic set-up and just need a universal remote that runs basic macros and controls sage, but I want it to control sage WELL. I don't need RF at this point either.

I have read about other remotes in the forum, like the MX series from URC. 2. What is their configuration like?

2a. Are they easier to set-up, more configurable? Do I have to use EventGhost or Girder? (I don't really care about controlling all aspects of Windows at this point)

3.Are there inherent problems with toggle codes? How can I get around these?

4. Do the codes used for FF, skip, play, etc work when playing back other media files (like DVDs) from Media center in Sage?

I have even tried some cheap remotes, but I ran into similar problems of the remote disallowing complete use of all keys in certain configurations.

As things stand right now, I think I am going to purchase the 550 and attempt to configure it using random remotes around the house. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

js