SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by judoGTI View Post
If I use Overlay I get no stuttering full screen at 1920x1080 (60hz)
If I use VMR I get no stuttering if I use sage in a small window, but as soon as I resize the window to about 2/3 max size of the screen it starts to stutter bad. This is what confuses me. Why would VMR no stutter small but stutter in a larger window?
Interesting observation. I've been struggling with this, too. I REALLY want to have VMR working, as I LOVE the transparent OSD. It's an important issue for me. But I've been using Overlay because of the stuttering. I just tried VMR9 in windowed mode and was suprised to see no stuttering. I get almost all the way to full screen before seeing any stuttering.

BTW... I'm not sure what other people are describing as stuttering. For me its pretty subtle. I really only notice it on "tickers" - like sports tickers on ESPN, or the running order ticker during NASCAR races. It just looks like its dropping frames, so its not smooth. It's hard to notice in regular video. It almost looks like the video is fine and the only problem is with scrolling text. But I watch enough stuff with tickers and its bad enough to force me to Overlay - where it's perfectly smooth.

I'm running a Q6600 (2.4 GHz Quad Core) with an ATI 4850. I know it's not an issue of insufficient hardware. I have a feeling my GPU is not doing anything for hardware acceleration (as the OP discussed).
Old 03-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyJer View Post
Hi judoGTI. Since this post SageTV has included the ability to use EVR in Vista.
I now run Vista on all my clients and there is zero tearing issues in full screen mode or otherwise. With your video card (I'm using an 8600 with no problem) you should be golden.

Regards,
-Jeremy
judoGTI shows his OS as XP SP2. I'm running XP MCE SP3. I'm not sure what EVR is, but when I try it I get no video (black screen) and menu navigation is slow and stuttery.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Looks like I finally got it!

judoGTI,
Are you using "Full Screen Exclusive Mode"? It's in Settings under Advanced (just below 3D Acceleration). Try setting this to "Yes" with 3D Acceleration "Enabled". Close Sage and then open it again. See if you still have stuttering.

I picked this up in the post that's linked in the OP. Here it is again. The original post contains lots of information and had me pretty confused. But check the red text at the bottom of the post. I had not set Full Screen Exclusive Mode previously because I misuderstood what it was for. I like to occasionally watch TV in a window and I though this would prevent me from being able to do this. Apparently it does not.

When I set FSE Mode to Yes, it initially didn't appear to make a difference. I closed Sage and reopenned, and the stuttering was gone!. I tried pressing the "Windows" (Start) key on my keyboard and it minimized Sage. When I brought it back up to full screen, the stuttering was back (OP said it will no longer be in FSE mode). Restarted Sage, and it was gone again.

I'm now VMR9 stutter free, and I'm a happy man! Thanks GollyJer

Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyJer View Post
Hi judoGTI. Since this post SageTV has included the ability to use EVR in Vista.
I now run Vista on all my clients and there is zero tearing issues in full screen mode or otherwise. With your video card (I'm using an 8600 with no problem) you should be golden.

Regards,
-Jeremy
Note that JudoGTI is running XP, so EVR is not really natural for him to use. I would suggest an upgrade to Vista/Windows 7, otherwise it's going to be hard to make h.264 work well under XP.
Client 3: Media MVP to 15" Toshiba LCD
Client 4: HD100 connected to Samsung 23" 720P LCD
Client 5: HD100 connected to Vizio VX37L
Old 03-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_Cuda View Post
You're welcome. Glad I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
Note that JudoGTI is running XP, so EVR is not really natural for him to use. I would suggest an upgrade to Vista/Windows 7, otherwise it's going to be hard to make h.264 work well under XP.
This is pretty much what I was implying. With Vista/Windows 7 there's no need to turn FSE on. Everything about video playback is superior when using EVR (Enhanced Video Renderer). I wouldn't go back to XP on any machine who's primary purpose is that of a media center. I would never downgrade to XP, period, but that's just me.
Currently using SageTV Media Center Server on Windows 7, SageTV Client as an HTPC on Windows 7, and an HD Theater HD200. The server controls 3 Motorola DCH-3200 cable boxes and 3 Hauppauge HD-PVRs (all Rev F1) with HD audio and changes channels via firewire WITH NO LOCKUPS. It's awesome.
4 Steps to Perfect Stutter Free Playback for SageTV
Quick Guide: How to Bitstream Audio in Windows 7
Old 03-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_Cuda View Post
judoGTI,
Are you using "Full Screen Exclusive Mode"? It's in Settings under Advanced (just below 3D Acceleration). Try setting this to "Yes" with 3D Acceleration "Enabled". Close Sage and then open it again. See if you still have stuttering.

I picked this up in the post that's linked in the OP. Here it is again. The original post contains lots of information and had me pretty confused. But check the red text at the bottom of the post. I had not set Full Screen Exclusive Mode previously because I misuderstood what it was for. I like to occasionally watch TV in a window and I though this would prevent me from being able to do this. Apparently it does not.

When I set FSE Mode to Yes, it initially didn't appear to make a difference. I closed Sage and reopenned, and the stuttering was gone!. I tried pressing the "Windows" (Start) key on my keyboard and it minimized Sage. When I brought it back up to full screen, the stuttering was back (OP said it will no longer be in FSE mode). Restarted Sage, and it was gone again.

Hope this helps.
71_Cuda -

Thanks for the reply (everyone else as well). I do have FSE enabled and 3D Acceleration ticked on. Still a good stutter.

I've been reading that thread too but I have a question. I am not running the PureVideo decoding software. I am not running this because I thought I needed to use the ArcSoft decoders (since I am using the HD-PVR as my sole capture device). So I have a 2 part question.. If I install the PureVideo decoders, will it even be used in Sage if I since I need to use ArcSoft? Or can I set the ArcSoft Transport Demux, ArcSoft Video Decoder....etc to have a merit of 00800001? And achieve the same effect? Or am I completely confused?

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23853
6) Run DirectShow Filter Manager and scroll down to the Nvidia items. Double click NVIDIA Transport Demux, NVIDIA Video Decoder & NVIDIA Audio Decoder filters and set the merit of each to 00800001. The row color should become bright pink like this (other rows may be different, don't worry about them)

For a side trick I installed .NET 3.0 and turned on EVR but I still got a blank screen. So this tells me maybe the 9500GT cards do not support DVXA2 only DVXA? I know hardware acceleration would not be used but that would be ok with my box.

71_CUDA also you you mind listing your hardware and software specs for me so I can compare? Its a good sign you got your VMR to be stutterfree, Im hoping Im close.

Last edited by judoGTI; 03-16-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by judoGTI View Post
I've been reading that thread too but I have a question. I am not running the PureVideo decoding software. I am not running this because I thought I needed to use the ArcSoft decoders (since I am using the HD-PVR as my sole capture device). So I have a 2 part question.. If I install the PureVideo decoders, will it even be used in Sage if I since I need to use ArcSoft? Or can I set the ArcSoft Transport Demux, ArcSoft Video Decoder....etc to have a merit of 00800001? And achieve the same effect? Or am I completely confused?
I'm not as knowledgable as many in these forums, so I'm not sure I can accurately answer your questions. I was actually wondering the same thing about setting the same merit on the ArcSoft Decoder. I do know, however, that you do not need to used the ArcSoft decoders. The Sage default decoder and an NVIDIA decoder worked for me as well. Most people seem to think the ArcSoft work best (of those), so that's what I've stuck to. I know some people use Cyberlink decoders as well. So I would think you could use the PureVideo decoders in Sage.

Quote:
For a side trick I installed .NET 3.0 and turned on EVR but I still got a blank screen. So this tells me maybe the 9500GT cards do not support DVXA2 only DVXA? I know hardware acceleration would not be used but that would be ok with my box.
I think DXVA2 support is an issue with the OS (XP), not the graqhics card.

Quote:
71_CUDA also you you mind listing your hardware and software specs for me so I can compare? Its a good sign you got your VMR to be stutterfree, Im hoping Im close.
Relevant Specs
CPU: Q6600 2.4 GHz Quad Core
Ram: 4 GB DDR2 800 (~3 used due to 32 bit)
HDD: Samsung 1GB SataII
VGA: Sapphire ATI 4850 512 DDR3
TV: 1x ATI HDTV Wonder
2x Hauppauage HD-PVRs

On a side note, I'm not sure I'm so joyous anymore. I've been having some major instability and crashes since I "got this working" last night. My system doesn't seem to like FSE mode much.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hmmm.... Very interesting.

I rendered a file using graphedit tonight, and find that it actually conflicts with what I have in my sage settings... so now Im completely puzzled.

Here is what I have in my SageTV settings:

Notice I have Overlay selected and Realtek HD Audio for a decoder. But when I rendered a ts file just captured with the HD-PVR I get this for a graph (sorry for the size):

http://72.189.144.248/images/judogti_graphedit_ts.jpg

Here is shows ultimately VMR out and AC3 Filter for an audio decoder

So I have no idea anymore what is really happening.

71_Cuda, what are you using for decoders? (You might have listed it already Ill go back and re-read this thread but just incase)

Last edited by Opus4; 03-16-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: image is too wide to be posted inliene; changed to links