SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:21 AM
Sage User

Questions Regarding Hauppauge HVR-1800 & PVR-500

I am using a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-500 and a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 with SageTV. In SageTV under sources, I see PCI 1 and 2 (the two tuners on the PVR-500) and 885 and 885 TS (the analog and ATSC tuners on the HVR-1800). It's my understanding that the TS is the ATSC/QAM tuner, which I am not utilizing at the moment. It's also my understanding that the analog cable connection and audio/video ports on the HVR-1800 can't be used at the same time.

I have my cable coax connected to the TV in on the PVR-500 and my STB connected to the HVR-1800 via the S-Video and audio ports. So I can record up to 3 channels at a time. The HVR-1800 brings in the full set of channels via the STB and the PVR-500 has 2x the subset of channels available without the STB.

The HVR-1800 has an A/V header on it, and the PVR-500 has 2 A/V headers. I have one extra A/V bracket as well. For the PVR-500, connecting the bracket to one of the headers takes the place of one of the tuners, meaning that even though I have coax connected to the TV in, I still just get 2 sources from which to record. I can't find any info about what the A/V header on the HVR-1800 is for. Will connecting to it disable the analog and A/V connections on the card? If so, what's the point to it?

The PVR-500 would allow connection to two STBs via A/V connections, although I don't understand the point of having 2 headers on that card, either. The card itself already has A/V inputs and it can only support 2 tuners at once, so why would you connect 3 sets of A/V cables?

Part of the reason I'm asking is that I am thinking of getting another STB. Instead of replacing one of my existing tuners, I'd like to have 4 sources - 2 full sets and 2 subsets. So I want to figure out if I can utilize any of these extra A/V headers or would have to get another tuner card/device.

I can't find answers at the Hauppauge site so I was hoping someone here might know. Thanks in advance for any info.

Jill
Old 07-27-2008, 04:25 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't know the answer to your question specifically, but I have a reasonable expectation that it would not work as you described simply because the HVR1800 only has one encoding chip on it for SD. Even if the extra bracket could be used I don't think you'd be able to make use of it simultaneously with the other interface.

B
Old 07-27-2008, 04:31 AM
Sage User

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking, too. I just wonder why they bother to put it on there at all. There is no mention of it at the Hauppauge site except that it labels it in the diagram of the card. I don't find their site particularly helpful at all. I've received much more useful info at forums such as this one and the Build Your Own PVR forum. There are so many nice users out there willing to give advice.

Thanks for your help.

Jill
Old 07-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Sage User

the HVR-1800 has a digital and SD tunner. You can record up to one Analog and one Digital signal at one time on a single HVR-1800. It is a dual tuner. It just one is dedicated to analog and the other is dedicated for digital.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Sage Icon

You can only use 2 inputs at once, however you can connect many different things and have Sage pick and choose what to capture from where and when.

I use those AV headers for my CCTV cameras and a 400 disk DVD changer, as such those don't get used nearly as often as the cabletv tuners. However if I want to capture from them I do not need to go into the closet and jumper cables to make it work.

I thought the 1600 and 18000 could capture from both analog and digital at the same time. You should definately attempt to capture from QAM if you already have cabletv.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Sage User

Thanks, CollinR. I do intend to try out the QAM at some point. I just haven't gotten around to getting an antenna yet. In fact, I also bought a Samsung Series 7 TV a few weeks ago and that is also capable of tuning OTA HD/QAM channels, so I plan to get a couple of antennas when I finally get a chance to shop for them.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Sage Icon

No need for an antenna just plug your cabletv coax into it, QAM comes on the cable line ATSC comes from an antenna.

If you have cabletv and cable internet you surely have at least a few QAM channels. I got HistoryHD and FoodHD for free!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Sage User

Won't this take more of my signal though? I already have cable internet, 6 TVs (1 with a HD box and 2 with digital boxes) plus another coax connection to my PVR 500 with its splitter. I've been considering getting an amplifier as it is. Until I do, I'm hesitant to split off any more connections.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Sage Icon

Depends on how it's currently wired and your incoming signal strength.

I always homerun to the data closet and then install a mega splitter to feed everything there, then another run back to the cable demarc and supply the existing wiring if it will be used, I have removed almost all of the existing coax from my home. The only live run I have is from the cable demarc to my data closet. In my closet I have an 8 way distribution splitter and all devices reside within about 6' of that.

You should consider consolidating your gear to the server and relying on extenders (or others) to supply content to the displays.