SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Sage User

How do I Control Dish Network Receiver?

Hi,

Sorry if this sound s dumb but here goes. I'm currently using a Avermedia Tuner card for my Digital QAM channels. I now want to hook up my Dish network receiver to the composite input on the TV card. Do I need USB-UIRT to control the dish network receiver from SageTV?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 01:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by qhplar View Post
Hi,

Sorry if this sound s dumb but here goes. I'm currently using a Avermedia Tuner card for my Digital QAM channels. I now want to hook up my Dish network receiver to the composite input on the TV card. Do I need USB-UIRT to control the dish network receiver from SageTV?

Thanks

Yes the USB-UIRT is probably the easiest way since it is natively supported by Sage. You can use devices such as hauppauge IR blasters and the Microsoft IR blaster that comes with many MCE remotes; however, they are not natively supported. I use one USB-UIRT with 3 different Dish Network receivers.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 07-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Sage User

Great! And you answerd by other question "how many USB-UIRT's do I need"? I plan on using 3 receives eventually. I guess if I set the receiver ID differently on each receiver I can use one USB-UIRT for many receivers correct??

Thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 04:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by qhplar View Post
Great! And you answerd by other question "how many USB-UIRT's do I need"? I plan on using 3 receives eventually. I guess if I set the receiver ID differently on each receiver I can use one USB-UIRT for many receivers correct??

Thanks
Yep. If you set each of your dish network receivers to receive seperate IR codes, then you can just use 1 USB UIRT for all of them. The max amount I am not sure of, but with 3 you are definately fine (since many of us use 3 or more).
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 07-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Sage Icon

It would be easier to change the IR code that the Dish box responds to, but.......

The USB-UIRT also supports up to three zones of blasting (at least those USB-UIRTs built since 02/04 - they have a z at the end of the model number). I'm not sure if Sage supports this option or not.

This allows you to send a specific IR signal out to 1 of three different zones. So if you have equipment that shares the same IR code, you can put them on three different zones. So even though the "Play" code is the same, if you send it to Z1, only that box will respond to it. Z2 and Z3 won't send out an IR code specified for Z1 and vice versa.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 07-18-2008, 08:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
It would be easier to change the IR code that the Dish box responds to, but.......

The USB-UIRT also supports up to three zones of blasting (at least those USB-UIRTs built since 02/04 - they have a z at the end of the model number). I'm not sure if Sage supports this option or not.

This allows you to send a specific IR signal out to 1 of three different zones. So if you have equipment that shares the same IR code, you can put them on three different zones. So even though the "Play" code is the same, if you send it to Z1, only that box will respond to it. Z2 and Z3 won't send out an IR code specified for Z1 and vice versa.
You have to edit the .ir file with notepad or another text editor but yes this works with Sage as that is how I control my cable STB's on which I cannot change the codes.