SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-27-2003, 07:57 AM
Sage User

Networked Dish Network multiroom steup

Hello,

Looking to get setup with a multi dish network/multiroom display configuration. Would like some recommendations on least expensive decent PC/setup required for this. Having network being run to all locations already so not an issue here.

1) 3 Dish receivers,
a - Dish 6000 for use with Toshiba TW56 HDTV in home theater
b - a new Dish 310 for dedicated recording
c - a Dish 4900 for recording/viewing on a TV

I have 2 TV's/rooms would like to have for outputs

a - Home Theater HDTV
b - Bedroom analog svideo in TV

From this it looks like I will need 3 pcs, 1 for BR, 1 for Home Theater, and 1 for recording. The dedicated recording machine could be put in a closet in office and be loaded with hard drive/storage available to other machines?

So would get 2 250's for recording, 1 for BR PC and 1 for dedicated recording machine. I would need 2 IR-Links for this as well?

What would be recommended hardware/configure for this type of setup? Sources for hardware, etc? I see walmart has cheapo $199 machines with 1.2 AMD duron processors and available PCI slots?

Everything is network controllable for live/playback/pause/recording over network correct?

Looking to get this all setup ASAP.

Thanks,
Darren
Old 08-27-2003, 11:51 AM
Sage

You seem to be on track for what you need and answered all your own questions correctly.

You're going to want to be sure you get a graphics card with good video output for your client PC that's connected to your HDTV. Others here can give good advice on what to use for that....and if you look around you'll find a lot of posts already about that too.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:48 PM
Sage Icon

Not to thread jack, but I have a similar setup...

I have sage client/recorder/and sagetv

I have as many computers as you can shake a stick at + 2 250's and 2 dvcr's

Now the question is this:

Im wondering if it would be worth considering running a sole client in the front room, using the dvcr as the remote (no load on that machine). Then running the 2 pvr 250's in other machines as network encoders, etc..

Would you think that it would be more reliable to run an encoder on the front room machine? Or doing the above?

Reason I ask is that im trying to find the machine with the least footprint and noise for the frontroom(everything but the epia .

Im mentioning this alternative because I will have the same dish setup (3 dish receivers) in the next week or so and would like to hear more opinions on which direction to go.

Beuler?