SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Importing problem - I'm stupid

Ok... Everything has been running fine for a long time, then I had a hard drive fail. Now I have company in town and can't get any of my videos to import. Here's the setup.

All videos are stored on a seperate machine and I set the import path UNC. I set the import path to be "\\xpserve\dvds2" and I browse to do this. In this folder the structure is \\xpserve\dvds2\title1\video_ts, \\xpserve\dvds2\title2\video_ts, etc. When I refresh import directories I get nothing.

I saw/remembered some stuff about the user login the service uses. It is set to LocalSystem. I tried to change it to Administrator (the account I have set the sage pc to auto-login to, but when I try to do that I get "invalid username or password", which isn't accurate. When logged in as administrator, I can browse to the DVDs without having to put in any additional usernames or passwords, which is why I was attempting to have sage login as administrator.

As a test, I disabled the sage service, and launched the sage application as Administrator, and re-mapped the import directories, and refreshed, and still nothing.

It's not just DVDs either. If I add just a video folder I don't get any of those files either. It seems like sage isn't even taking note of the new import directories.

Any help? I'm sure it's something stupid. Just seems this stuff always happens when I have company and am trying to show off... lol

Oh... I'm running 6.0.13.1 if it helps.

Last edited by gmijackso; 07-17-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmijackso View Post
Ok... Everything has been running fine for a long time, then I had a hard drive fail. Now I have company in town and can't get any of my videos to import. Here's the setup.

All videos are stored on a seperate machine and I set the import path UNC. I set the import path to be "\\xpserve\dvds2" and I browse to do this. In this folder the structure is \\xpserve\dvds2\title1\video_ts, \\xpserve\dvds2\title2\video_ts, etc. When I refresh import directories I get nothing.

I saw/remembered some stuff about the user login the service uses. It is set to LocalSystem. I tried to change it to Administrator (the account I have set the sage pc to auto-login to, but when I try to do that I get "invalid username or password", which isn't accurate. When logged in as administrator, I can browse to the DVDs without having to put in any additional usernames or passwords, which is why I was attempting to have sage login as administrator.

As a test, I disabled the sage service, and launched the sage application as Administrator, and re-mapped the import directories, and refreshed, and still nothing.

It's not just DVDs either. If I add just a video folder I don't get any of those files either. It seems like sage isn't even taking note of the new import directories.

Any help? I'm sure it's something stupid. Just seems this stuff always happens when I have company and am trying to show off... lol

Oh... I'm running 6.0.13.1 if it helps.
It sounds like you do not have the same account for both your local PC and the network PC that you are housing your videos on. This is fine. JUST SHUT DOWN SAGE SERVICE and use Sage almost as though your server is a client. I do this and it works fine. I am still able to use placeshifter, full clients, and extenders. The only difference is that it uses a bit more memory and is a bit more prevelent on my server.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 07-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Sage User

Not exactly the same, but maybe will help

I have Sage running on a linux server, but I could not specify the unc path of my nas and see any results.. it always said empty... so I just mounted the nas on my local system... then just specify the local path in Sage.. should work for you with windows, just mount your nas as Z: or something and then specify the new path in Sage.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
It sounds like you do not have the same account for both your local PC and the network PC that you are housing your videos on. This is fine. JUST SHUT DOWN SAGE SERVICE and use Sage almost as though your server is a client. I do this and it works fine. I am still able to use placeshifter, full clients, and extenders. The only difference is that it uses a bit more memory and is a bit more prevelent on my server.
I tried that, same results.

CORRECTION
Tried again and it seems to work correctly now. Apparently I had forgoten to turn off the "use sage tv service" and when I launched sage it was just restarting the service.

So now the question is, why can I not change the user/password on the Sage service?

Last edited by gmijackso; 07-17-2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Correction...
Old 07-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrambo View Post
I have Sage running on a linux server, but I could not specify the unc path of my nas and see any results.. it always said empty... so I just mounted the nas on my local system... then just specify the local path in Sage.. should work for you with windows, just mount your nas as Z: or something and then specify the new path in Sage.
I have a couple of problems with that. First, is that I tried that last night on the sage server and Sage wouldn't let me use a mapped drive as an import path.

Second, is that even if it did allow that, I have to map each client as well which increases the connection count to the file server. My file server is kinda old and I'd rather not tax the system more than is necessary.

This worked with UNC in the past... has there been a change that doesn't allow it now?
Old 07-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I have a couple of problems with that. First, is that I tried that last night on the sage server and Sage wouldn't let me use a mapped drive as an import path.

Second, is that even if it did allow that, I have to map each client as well which increases the connection count to the file server. My file server is kinda old and I'd rather not tax the system more than is necessary.

This worked with UNC in the past... has there been a change that doesn't allow it now?
Seems strange that sage wouldn't let you use a mapped drive as an import directory... on the linux side you can specify everything from / up...

Why would you have to map the clients to the file server?? I don't map my clients to the fileserver, they use what is mapped by sage server... or is that a difference between 'clients' and 'placeshifters'?
Old 07-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Windows services cannot access mapped drive letters, so you have to use UNC paths for network locations if you use the service. The service needs to be configured to log in as a user w/a password who has permission to access the network location.

If you can't set the user via SageTVServiceControl.exe, then try running Windows' services.msc.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Windows services cannot access mapped drive letters, so you have to use UNC paths for network locations if you use the service. The service needs to be configured to log in as a user w/a password who has permission to access the network location.

If you can't set the user via SageTVServiceControl.exe, then try running Windows' services.msc.

- Andy
Thanks Andy, that solves my problem of not being able to change the user. I knew there was something stupid I was over looking.

I was able to change the user Administrator, but when the service attempts to start, it hangs at "starting" for several minutes before finishing. It takes significantly longer than loading with localuser or loading sage in non-service mode.

I guess it's fine, but what are your/other peoples service startup times?
Any ideas on what can be done to speed it up?
Old 07-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I guess it's fine, but what are your/other peoples service startup times?
Any ideas on what can be done to speed it up?
~ 40 seconds.

See the FAQ: SageTV is taking a long time to start. Is there a way to make its startup process go faster?.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
You rock... I'll give that a try after the guests leave. I finally have my DVDs showing up and no need to tempt the fates atm. Heaven forbid I actually have to carry a disc in my hand for a moment to watch a movie *gasp*.

Now... how about making sage dim my x10 lights, lower projector screen, and pop the popcorn.
You can do it Andy, I know you can!
Thanks for the help!