SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

DVD Playback Issues

Greetings all,

I have a question about playing ripped DVD's over the HD extender.

I use a combo of AnyDVD and DVD Shrink to rip my DVD's to the sage server and then play them with either the HD or SD extenders on our network.

Some DVD's have issues, not all of them, when playing them on the HD extender and trying to FF or RW it will cause the HD extender to lock up unless the OK-Enter button is pressed on the remote, you are then able to go back to the root and select a chapter. This happens with the majority of DVD rips I have.

The other issue is one of my favorite rips, namely the Pink Floyd Pulse DVD's will only come up to the root menu and then hang, you cant select items from the menu or play the DVD. My XBMC can play them just fine.

Anyone seen this issue before, or should I submit a bug report?

Thanks in advance.
"Life is a banquet and most people are starving to death!"
Old 06-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkyjoe View Post
I use a combo of AnyDVD and DVD Shrink to rip my DVD's to the sage server and then play them with either the HD or SD extenders on our network.

Some DVD's have issues, not all of them, when playing them on the HD extender and trying to FF or RW it will cause the HD extender to lock up unless the OK-Enter button is pressed on the remote, you are then able to go back to the root and select a chapter. This happens with the majority of DVD rips I have
I use DVDFab, and all of my DVD rips are very touchy.
I dare not pause/ffw/rew during a movie, or it will lock up, and I end up rebooting the extender.
Source(1): DirecTV H21, HD-PVR (E1) driver 1.5.7
Source(2): HDHomeRun, Winegard GS-2200
Old 06-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

What is odd is they play fine 9 out of 10 times on the SD extender.

They also play fine with Windows Media Player, and any other DVD software I use, it seems the extender has issues, I was wondering if it might be the rip, but I have even set DVD Shrink to rip with no compression and they still dont play correct on the HD extender.

Anyone else having issues? If so please post them here so I can have some ammunition when sending in a bug report.

Many Thanks
Old 06-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Sage Icon

not any help.

only issues I ever had were inherent to a rip itself being messed up. if the rip was good I've not had issues playing it anywhere.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've had the issue since I got my HD extenders. All my rips FF and RW perfectly on a CLIENT, but on an Extender is a mess. I figured it was a known bug...? Maybe not?
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total
Old 06-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Addict,

Same here, I guess I was hoping that it had been reported to Sage so I have sat back and waited for it to be addressed.

I gues it's time to get off my rear and report it.

Thanks for confirming I am not the only person with the issue.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Have you tries installing the latest beta firmware? There are several comments about DVD playback updates in the last 2 beta releases. I think you have to update to the latest beta of sage tv as well. http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=29560
Old 07-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

OK,

I submitted my ticket over 3 days ago and still no confirmation nor reply.

I am posting here in the hopes that Opus will see this and light a fire under someone at Sage.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Administrator

If it is a bug report, then the form itself says they won't necessarily reply. If they need more info, then you'll hear back.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Sage User

Same problem here

Hi,

I am running SageTV latest version and use the HD-100.
I ripped already a part of my DVD's to my HD and they play fine on the server and on the client.
In my bedroom (with the HD-100) however, the same DVD's seem sometimes to hang. It is not predictabe as they hang at random moments.
The solution is to rewind a bit, and then, most of the times they continue to play further.
I tried working with the latest beta's and they show the same problems...
Old 07-04-2008, 06:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

My dad was having issues with his three HD extenders and certain DVD rips. Some of them would play fine on a PC client, but on the extender would just come up blank. No menu, nothing, just a black screen and nothing I did could get a menu to come up or get the rip to play.

He tried the AnyDVD/CloneDVD combo as he normally would use. Next I had him try DVD Decrypter, which also didn't work. But when he tried Magic DVD RIpper they work perfectly.

We started with the most recent NON beta release for Sage and firmware for the extenders. In an attempt to fix the issue I updated to the latest beta's for both which didn't help. No until he used MAgic DVD RIpper to do the ripping did those disc's work.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

bhyman1,

Thanks for the info, mine is pretty consistent in the fact that anything other than playing the DVD rip, like FF-RW chapter skip will lock the HD extender for up to 3-4 minutes.

The Pink Floyd dvd is an issue with the menu's I am sure.

I have tried many different ways to rip-store the dvd's and it doesnt matter how I do them, the will lock the extender on a regular basis.

Thanks for the help though!

P.S. Opus, thanks for the reply, however it would be a good suggestion to acknowledge when a customer submits a ticket to the system, this way we know it was at least received.

Last edited by unkyjoe; 07-04-2008 at 07:06 AM. Reason: adding a P.S
Old 07-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Opus,

I respectfuly disagree with you.

Here is what it says on the support submision page.

Quote:
The answers you're looking for may be in your SageTV Setup Guide or in the SageTV Recorder manual or listed in our 3rd Party Support , Troubleshooting and Tips and Tricks sections. If you still haven't found your answer after utilizing these options, please send us a support request using the form below. Only complete the fields that are relevant to your system. You will receive a reply within 72 hours. Thank you.

Important Notes: Be sure to tell us as much information about your system configuration so we can determine if there is a common support issue among similar PC configurations.
I still have not heard a thing from support regarding this issue
Old 07-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Administrator

That info regards a tech support request. I was talking about the bug submission form. If you have a problem with a beta, you should submit a bug report; otherwise, submit a request to tech support.

But, when I ask support if they've heard from someone who hasn't heard back, either one of 2 things is usually the case: 1) The user hasn't waited long enough (the 72 hours) or 2) the email reply from support was blocked as spam. Once in a while, support didn't receive the request.

So... what did you submit to SageTV? a bug or a support request?

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Opus,

I submitted a support reuqest.

Odd, every time before I received a reply, I have checked my spam folder and there is nothing from support there either.

I have my own mail server here and dont block anything other than with Outlook 2003.

I call it a bug, becuase it needs to be squashed But I did submit a support ticket.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Administrator

This one seems to be a case of not receiving your request. If you sent it by email, see the link at the bottom of my sig lines for a form you can use.

- Andy
Old 07-10-2008, 07:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Opus,

I have submitted another request using the link in your sig line, we will see if I get a response this time.

P.S. This is the same way I submitted the last request.

Thanks for your help
Old 07-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Administrator

OK... your resubmission must have looked familiar, because I'm told a reply went out to you on June 30, and it has been resent to the email you used in the new support request.

- Andy
Old 07-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Opus,

I got that one and sent them the requested information.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Update:

I have been contacted by support on this issue.

I was concerned it was SageMC causing my problems, but got it to repeat on the first try without using SageMC, I sent the requested log files to Sage support.

Now we will see if they find anything.