SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:47 AM

HVR-1600 Won't tune digital OTA with Sage - wits end

Having a very hard time with my HVR-1600 and Sage. Have tried clean O/S installs, various drivers, different Sage versions, always get the same behavior.

I have only an ATSC OTA antenna attached to the card. WinTV can scan and tune the channels like butter. HD looks great, channels change without difficulty... all is great. The scan gets 49 channels. The channels have numbers like "1111" and "1148".

However, if I try Sage, before or after installing the Haup apps, I get the following behavior. When I add a tuner, I select the "TS" recorder, then the channel scan returns only two channels (basically one channel, the local NBC affiliate, and its sub-channel). It starts on "channel 0", gets 2 hits on "Channel 12", then fails everything else. (I think it goes up to 69)

(BTW I find the whole digital channel numbering stuff to be bewildering. If anyone has a good explanatory link...)

I have tried the latest beta, and the latest stable release with the same results.

My system is a 780G with a Phenom, 4G of RAM running Vista x64 (After a failed attempt at Server 2k8 ;-) The Vista is a clean install.

Basically, I'm out of ideas. The fact that the tuner works well under WinTV leaves me ruling out hardware or driver issues, but I haven't seen/heard of anyone else with a problem like this.

TIA for any assistance!
Old 06-26-2008, 05:57 AM
Sage User

Hm, perhaps "remapping" the channel might help?

I'm not an expert on this but I'm surprised no one has helped you with this yet.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

I tried thinking of what to tell you - and I don't have any answers either. I run in XP and have had no issues... maybe Vista is the problem?

If nobody gives you ideas, send Tech Support a note.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

I've got one of these cards as well and have no issues under XP. If WinTV tunes OTA OK and you ARE running Vista, then that is the only difference.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

My HVR-1600 was working fine tuning QAM and I also have an HVR-1800 which was working fine tuning OTA before I installed Beta 6.6.4. I am blaming the beta install for killing both cards as far as digital goes. I have been able to get the 1800 to scan QAM channels and have some of them remapped.

I hope to find some time to work on what went wrong in the next several days. Fortunately the analogue tuners still work fine and we aren't missing any shows.

I am also running Vista 32bit Home Premium.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:20 AM

Thanks for the (eventual ;-)) replies...

It started working for awhile, even though the scan never appeared to work right. I think perhaps the beta is to blame, but eventually things got so bad my audio stopped working, too. I finally went back to a backup from Vista "clean install" and started over.

Now trying to get my hd-pvr working instead. Going pretty rough so far, but I'll keep plugging away. I know this will all be worth it eventually!
Old 06-27-2008, 03:51 AM
SageTVaholic

FWIW - I am running HVR-1600s (3) using OTA and SD capturing in Linux.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeezer View Post
...I also have an HVR-1800 which was working fine tuning OTA before I installed Beta 6.6.4. I am blaming the beta install for killing both cards as far as digital goes. ... I am also running Vista 32bit Home Premium.
I'm in the same boat here. I've go the HVR-1800 under Vista as well. The Vista codec problems with SageTV has eaten up hours and hours of my time so I figured 6.4.4 beta might help. Hell no, I blew 3 hours trying to get it to work. The channels are all dead. Tested with another program and they all show up!

I'm tired of getting the short end of the stick with Vista support. Is it true that SageTV developers/QA don't actually own Vista? As a developer, Vista is not to blame here. SageTV can be made to work with Vista without custom hacks found only on the forums. I would expect this from an opensource project but not when I'm paying for it.