SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Sage User

Use XP or Vista?

I've seen a few posts about various problems with SageTV on Vista.

The computer I want to use (mainly for running Sage) currently has Vista installed. I do also have a licensed copy of XP I could install instead. Should I format the drive and install XP instead of using Vista?

dave.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:50 AM
SageTVaholic

As far as I can see, there are lots of reason to run XP, and only one reason to run Vista: dual monitor support actually works (under XP you can't seem to get hardware accelerated video working on the secondary monitor).

If this is going to be a dedicated Sage box, then I'd say definitely go and install XP. It'd be good to have a clean install for a server anyway. If you're going to be using this as your main box it's a little harder to weight the pros and cons. I think most people have gotten Sage to work fine under Vista with UAC turned off. I haven't had any problems with the client (where I use Vista to get dual monitors working).
Old 06-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Sage Icon

XP
Old 06-23-2008, 12:11 PM
SageTVaholic

You'd probably be okay with either Vista or XP. Vista has more "unique features" that might make your life more difficult when using SageTV, but there are many who use Vista and SageTV together.

That being said, If I were building or purchasing a HTPC today, I'd put XP on it over Vista every time. Lower system overhead, more proven driver support, the majority of SageTV users use XP so you're with the masses. That's my take at least.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:12 PM

I recently switched to Vista Ultimate. I have always had some tearing, especially when watching HDTV broadcasts. Using Aero to redener the desktop esentially renders everything as a 3D object. This gives you the effect of Fullscreen Exclusive Mode without actually having to use it. My HD on sagetv is now smooth with no tearing.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

I resently switched over to vista and it definintly showed some improvement (all around) with the Audio/Video.

The only caveat I have is with the new directory paths.. for example, the Sage.properties is found in
%USERPROFILE%\appdata\locol\virtualstore\program files\sagetv\sagetv

Been using XP home since its release.. been using Vista (sp1) for a little over a month and im really happy with it.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have found Vista with UAC disabled to be the best. As with others XP gave me tearing issues if I did not use FSE, but FSE has it's own issues.

With UAC disabled, all the annoying issues of Vista, such as the visualization of the program folders are not present.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Are there any benefits for running Vista on a dedicated server PC that does not produce any video/audio output (all output is via the HD100)?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Sage Icon

Vista Business SP1 w/ ReadyBoost and Superfetch disabled.

P
Old 06-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post

P
I'm also running Vista Business SP1. It works fine for me when it comes to serving my two HD100's, but I can't really watch programs on the server itself. I'm going to look into the ReadyBoost and Superfetch you mentioned. How much RAM do you have and what CPU?

I've got an AMD Athlon 3200 (2.2GHz), but w/ only 768Mb of RAM. I'm hoping bumping the RAM up to 2Gb will help, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Maybe a video card upgrade is required, but then I might as well get another HD100! I'm currently just using the onboard video on an MSI K8MM-V. It's just a PC I picked up cheap from someone who didn't want it anymore.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post

P
Just want to verify that I'm reading that correctly, do you have both ReadyBoost and Superfetch disabled, or just Superfetch? I did a little research and they both sound like good things, especially ReadyBoost. Did you experience otherwise?

Thanks
Old 06-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Sage Icon

See my sig for the hardware. Yes, I disabled both after using Performance Monitor and seeing writes to the USB drive causing problems. Smooth as silk ever since...

P
Old 06-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Sage User

i get tearing with 720p playback sagetv in xp. going to loadup vista.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

I have been extremely happy with Vista. Recently, however, I did discover a problem that will most likely result in my switching back to XP on my clients. I recently found out that the ArcSoft decoders will not support DXVA in Vista with VMR9. This has caused a real problem on one of my clients when trying to play back HDPVR recordings. If sage supported EVR then this would not be a problem. You may want to keep this in mind if you will be using and HDPVR.

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 06-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Keep in mind, even with SP1 Vista still has networking issues "speed" when connecting to other client devices on a network.

I personaly use Windows Server 2003 for my Sage server, I was using XP but had a copy of W2K3 laying around and have never looked back. Solid as a rock for 90+ days.
"Life is a banquet and most people are starving to death!"
Old 06-28-2008, 08:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkyjoe View Post
Keep in mind, even with SP1 Vista still has networking issues "speed" when connecting to other client devices on a network.
That's true. But one thing I figured out is that Vista is less forgiving when you're not using jumbo packets. Make sure all of your systems have that enabled (and set the frame size to the maximum), and the bandwidth penalty drops to about 10% or so, compared to connecting XP-to-XP.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Sage Icon

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948066

It depends on the NIC, but jumbo frames killed my WHS box (Realtek), got all sorts of errors until I turned them off. FYI

P

Last edited by Polypro; 06-29-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Sage Icon

For a Sage Client

Looking at rebuilding my main client machine in my home theater. I have XP and think I've been able to get EVR working with it but wonder if it is time to "update" to Vista.

Any thoughts? What version is the best fit?

Usage is pretty even split between movies (BD mostly rental so prefer not to rip) and TV (r5000 and HD-PVR).
Old 11-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Sage User

Vista SP1 is definitely the way to go now .. especially with the new Beta with EVR support (which is not supported on XP, at least not as well as in Vista).

I now have a beautiful desktop with Aero enabled, UAC enabled and SageTV runs perfectly smooth with < 10% CPU usage in both full screen and windowed mode with no tearing at all. And, I can record 2 shows at once on my HDHR with absolutely no issues.

btw, if any of you use PowerDVD for Blu-Ray playback and dropping out of Aero to classic mode drives you nuts, here's a thread that tells you how to get PowerDVD working with Aero:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=14804333

Last edited by mscrivo; 11-20-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:45 AM
SageTVaholic

For Full clients, I say Vista now as mscrivo stated. With EVR support, it should be much better playback....

For Servers, I still say XP as it should use less resources (unless you a WHS license).
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter