SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Cool STB and Cabling to maximize SageTV Media Extender Experience

I have a HDTV (actually it is on order), Sage TV on my computer, a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 (however, it doesn't have an IR Blaster) and a SageTV Media Extender (just got it).

I picked up a STB from Comcast - a Motorola DCT5100 (the only one my Comcast has for HDTV). It is big, plus it costs me $7.00/mo.

I assume I connect the STB to the Hauppauge via the Coaxial cable connection? Is the HDTV signal still pure at this point, or has it been degraded by the STB?

But do I really need a DCT5100? What is the minimum requirements for a STB that maximizes the HDTV experience that the Sage TV/Hauppauge/Media Extender setup provide?

I am going to have to figure out how best to allow Sage TV to change cable channels (IR Blaster, etc,) which means I may have to get another WinTV-HVR-1600 with IR Blaster capability. Physically the STB and IR Blaster setup is a big physical footprint. This is another reason I am motivated to look for a smaller, less powerful STB that will do the job (i.e, provide optimal HDTV experience). So, what are the requirements for a HDTV STB?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwmreed View Post
I have a HDTV (actually it is on order), Sage TV on my computer, a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 (however, it doesn't have an IR Blaster) and a SageTV Media Extender (just got it).

I picked up a STB from Comcast - a Motorola DCT5100 (the only one my Comcast has for HDTV). It is big, plus it costs me $7.00/mo.

I assume I connect the STB to the Hauppauge via the Coaxial cable connection? Is the HDTV signal still pure at this point, or has it been degraded by the STB?
Cable boxes only output downcoverted SD over the RF (coax) connections. The only outputs that provide HD are the Component/HDMI or (maybe) Firewire (though these are often worthless).

The only thing the HVR can record in HD are OTA and clear digital cable, both directly from the line.

Quote:
But do I really need a DCT5100? What is the minimum requirements for a STB that maximizes the HDTV experience that the Sage TV/Hauppauge/Media Extender setup provide?
Today, the best overall combo, in terms of functionality and cost, is a Hauppauge HD PVR paired with an STB with HD component outputs. This gives you access to all the HD you subscribe to and in full HD quality.

Quote:
I am going to have to figure out how best to allow Sage TV to change cable channels (IR Blaster, etc,) which means I may have to get another WinTV-HVR-1600 with IR Blaster capability. Physically the STB and IR Blaster setup is a big physical footprint. This is another reason I am motivated to look for a smaller, less powerful STB that will do the job (i.e, provide optimal HDTV experience). So, what are the requirements for a HDTV STB?
If the STB provides HD component output, it's good enough, but as noted above, the Hauppauge HD PVR is the only device that can record it.

Well there are a few alternatives, the R5000 mod (which is costly and likely not compatible with your boxes) or the Blackmagic intensity (no hardware encoder so IMO inferior to the HD PVR).
Old 06-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Cool Oh Oh!

Sounds like I need to abandon my 1600 for HDTV and buy a Hauppauge HD PVR

Last edited by johnwmreed; 06-16-2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: I did some more research
Old 06-17-2008, 03:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Your 1600 will still be good for over-the-air (broadcast/local) HD and any HD on cable that's unencrypted. It's probably worthwhile to keep around to suppliment the HD PVR. Especially if a lot of what you watch is on the major networks.