SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Sage Icon

Question Digital Channel Data Not In EPG ??

I installed my new HVR 1600 cards and set up the video sources. They show up in the EGP, but there is No Data?? Anyone know why that is??
Old 06-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Administrator

There's not much to go on there... how was it configured? Are you using OTA or QAM? Are the channels mapped to stations on a cable lineup, or are you just relying on an OTA scan? For a new cable lineup, did you give it time to download the EPG data, since lots of new channels can take a while for the initial EPG download.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Sage Expert

Although a search might be a pain to do, it might help you find your question already asked and answered. Though it took me a while to find appropriate examples since a simple search for 1600 kept returning posts by you

If you've used the correct my-city (digital) lineup and completed a CHANNEL SCAN then you'll probably need to do a "Map Different Station to this Physical Channel" to correctly associate the found channel to it's active EPG.

Here are a coupe of '1600' searches talking about this. The second one is the setup thread people have been following.

Remapping to show program data
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...96&postcount=1

SETUP WinTV HVR-1600 with QAM
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...47&postcount=1

I try not to go back too far in time in case they've made change to the setup.
Hope this help.

OPUS is a fast typist

Last edited by Conejo; 06-15-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
There's not much to go on there... how was it configured? Are you using OTA or QAM? Are the channels mapped to stations on a cable lineup, or are you just relying on an OTA scan? For a new cable lineup, did you give it time to download the EPG data, since lots of new channels can take a while for the initial EPG download.

- Andy
Sorry, OK here's where I am ...

1 - Installed both HVR 1600 cards
2 - Installed Hauppauge Drivers
3 - Added both cards via Dage Video Sources
4 - Selected my cable co.
5 - Selected digital line up for the (2) TS tuners
6 - Scanned for digital QAM channels
7 - Selected analog lineup for the (2) Video tuners
8 - The analog lineup just grabbed the same channels that were selected for my PVR 500 card
9 - The EPG shows and plays all the new channels, but they are all named with the format similar to this ... 79-1 DTV79.1
10 - The EPG does not show any guide data for these channels

I know I have to remap the channels and am trying to figure it out based upon what I have read others say. right now I am creating a spreadsheet to map the info I have (79-1 DTV79.1) to the HD channel after viewing and searching Zap2it, in the case above being Channel 407 KABCDT.

When I finish the lineup out I will remap them all. I am guessing you are going to say once I remap them the data will show up. Too bad if that's the case, it sure would be easier to figure out what channel it was if the guide data was there.

Anyway ... that's where I am .. Thx
Old 06-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conejo View Post
Although a search might be a pain to do, it might help you find your question already asked and answered. Though it took me a while to find appropriate examples since a simple search for 1600 kept returning posts by you

If you've used the correct my-city (digital) lineup and completed a CHANNEL SCAN then you'll probably need to do a "Map Different Station to this Physical Channel" to correctly associate the found channel to it's active EPG.

Here are a coupe of '1600' searches talking about this. The second one is the setup thread people have been following.

Remapping to show program data
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...96&postcount=1

SETUP WinTV HVR-1600 with QAM
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...47&postcount=1

I try not to go back too far in time in case they've made change to the setup.
Hope this help.

OPUS is a fast typist
Thanks! Yea, there are more than a couple of references to the 1600. I will check on the setup one after I get the lineup set because I have already noticed that "some", not all of the channels stutter pretty bad, and some work for a few minutes and then the audio drops off. So, more research on my part is needed.

Looking at the remap thread, it sounds like once I remap the data will show up.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt View Post
When I finish the lineup out I will remap them all. I am guessing you are going to say once I remap them the data will show up.
Probably...

Quote:
Too bad if that's the case, it sure would be easier to figure out what channel it was if the guide data was there.
Uh... yeah... but If the guide data were already there you wouldn't need to remap. Remapping seems to be part of the price of using QAM.

I even had to remap OTA channels because they included dashes in some of the station names, which didn't match the Zap2it names, and a few stations seemed to be broadcasting a completely wrong station name, which I don't understand, unless it used to be a different station & they never corrected their broadcast data. Or else Zap2it has the old station name.

Edit: you may need to check the signal strength on the Channel Setup screen. I've heard people say that the 1600 doesn't tune weaker signals as well as the HDHomeRun. You may need to consider a good cable amp if you don't already have one.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Sage Icon

OK ... I think I got it ... using your advice and links above ...

After taking all the steps I have above and figured out what a digital channel is, I ....

1 - Use the "Map Different Station to this Physical Channel" to assign it to a specific HD channel. so, for me 93.2 = KNBCDT so I selected KNBCDT. That provided me the guide data, but ...

2 - In order to get the right channel number I had use Remap again and select "Map to Different Logical Channel Number", in my case end 404.

No the channel is in the lineup under Channel 404 and shows the guide info for KNBCDT!

So, that's pretty cool. Bummer is i have 68 more channels to figure out and configure.

On the other hand that is also the good news, right?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction ... T.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Sage Expert

Even though you aren't using an HDHR, you might want to check what other users have found in your area

http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/hdhomerun/channels

The first half of the list is 8VSB (Over The Air) channels, and the second half is for QAM.

It should be close to what you're receiving. You probably want to skip the 900 music channels.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Probably...

Uh... yeah... but If the guide data were already there you wouldn't need to remap. Remapping seems to be part of the price of using QAM.

I even had to remap OTA channels because they included dashes in some of the station names, which didn't match the Zap2it names, and a few stations seemed to be broadcasting a completely wrong station name, which I don't understand, unless it used to be a different station & they never corrected their broadcast data. Or else Zap2it has the old station name.

Edit: you may need to check the signal strength on the Channel Setup screen. I've heard people say that the 1600 doesn't tune weaker signals as well as the HDHomeRun. You may need to consider a good cable amp if you don't already have one.

- Andy
Right again Andy ... Bottom line is you pay for your thrills ... I am getting what wanted ... digital and HD channels on my Sage!

As for the signal, I am ranging around 75 -80+% .. How's that?

Does lead me to another question ... I had purchased an amp long ago to boost my signal since I was splitting off to the 4 tuners. Well now I have 6, so I have a 4 way splitter, capped 1, leaving 3. One of those if the feed to the app that now feeds my 4 analog tuners. the remaining 2 coming off the splitter I connected directly to the digital tuners.

Is that the best way to hook them up or should I swap 2 of the analogs with the digitals in the end running the digitals through the amp that was feed by the same splitter.

I am sure I made that way to confusing and should have posted a drawing. Plus, this kind of moves off topic.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Sage Expert

I don't think there is any 'fair' way to split signal levels to all cards. some people have signal issues on certain channels requiring their cards to be higher up on the splitter chain.

You'll have to experiment to see what works best for you.
A six or eight-way splitter with caps would be ideal. But you may be able to get away with splitting one of your 4-ways and still get decent reception on an analog or digital card. It depends on the card's sensitivity and how much ingress from other signal noise causes reception issues.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:57 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the advice on signal splitting. I guess I will just have to try out different connections. Reading some of the posts about stuttering and signal loss. I may get better coax cables with a Monster splitter as well. I also tried going to Overlay instead of VMR9 and that seemed to help a bit. I can use my Nvidia's PureVideo for XP in Vista and Nvidia has not provided a PureVideo for Vista. So, I can't select Nvidia. I have Intervideo selected. I read somewhere in this forum that folks like Cyberlink best, so I may try that soon too.

So, I have another question about digital channel mapping. I am slowly making progress, but since this is very repetitive, I found a few times when i was not paying attention, I mapped the DTV# to the wrong channel. When I reset the Physical Channel and Logical Channel Number that I lost the DTV channel from my list altogether ??? So, how do I get it back? Do I have to rescan everything (hope not)? ... If I do, will I then lose channels I already have. I seemed to remember reading that some people rescanned and ended with less channels the second time. Also, if I have to do that, will all the channels I have already mapped disappear and send me back to square one?

thanks ...