SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:35 PM

Newbie (possibly) Questions

Ok, i have been reading and reading about setting up a possible SageTV based system. What i would like to do is this...

i have a computer in my office that i would like to set up as the central storage part of my network system. the modem and router are hooked up to this computer, and will remain as such. it's a vista computer (i know, my bad for buying the OS early). i would like to build a simple computer in the living room downstairs to put in a htpc type computer.

i want to be able to play dvds, record tv and use basic computer functions on the living room computer/tv combo.

question is, do i set up the software on the computer in the office, and the client software in the living room computer? and which computer do i put the tv tuners on, the living room (which will have the digital cable box, office will have nothing) or the office computer. Basically i want to store all on the office computer, and build a cheap computer to network to the tv and stereo all my dvds, and recorded tv programming. I have the hope of if getting this to work, adding a computer to the bedroom for the same purposes.

btw, i want to do all this wirelessly. i have an N router that very easily sends dvd worthy signals around the house, i would just add a desktop adapter to the living room computer.

i appreciate any input. so far, i have yet to see a viable response by searching the forum.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Not sure if this answers your question 100%, but here is my setup (which sounds very similar to what you are wanting to accomplish):

1) Living - has cable line coming in & cable HD set top box. Setup my SageTV PVR server as part of my living room entertainment system. Capture cards, et al are located in this PVR, along with 500GB of drive space for recording TV shows to. This box also is connected to my TV for playback

2) Computer room- networked server(1.5TB) holding all of my ripped DVDs for instant movie playback on the Sage PVR in the living room.

3) Bedroom - HD-100 media extender for television and video playback on the TV there.

-------

If you can put the cable line in the office, you can use your office computer to handle everything. Capturing TV from cable, storing movies, etc. In your living room and bedroom you can just pop in HD100s for playback.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:58 PM

thanks for the reply.

question about it though. Can the HD100 be used wirelessly for the living and bedroom? Would i still need a cable box in the living room after this?

I pay about $25 a month to rent the PVR's (each) for the rooms, and they obviously only have the ability to play what is stored locally, hence my desire for the Sage system. It would be great to have the ability to play my backup dvd's stored on the system in each room, of which would be stored on the office computer (have decent amount of storage already, and a fair bit of bays to expand). Running wires is not an option for my hopeful system.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

The HD100s do not have built in wireless. You can, however, use wireless N repeaters in bridged mode to connect the HD100s to your network and Sage server.

Depending on the route you go with what captures devices you use, and what you are hoping for out of it, and you might not need a cable box in any room. My primary capture devices are the HDHR that I pull in QAM HD channels (no cable box needed) and an nVidia DualTV for the analog channels (no cable box needed). If you want all the digital channels available that the cable box currently gets, you can go the HDPVR route from Hauppauge connected to a cablebox in your office.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Sage Icon

Think you got some good answers already ... All I will add is ...

Why apologize foe Vista ... Works well for me ...