SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD100 and Playing DVD's

Just trying to sort this out in my poor addled brain.

It is my understanding that:

The HD100 will only play DVD's that have been ripped to a library directory.
The client on the server can play DVD's from the local DVD drive.

Just for yucks, I tried setting my server DVD drive (X: in my case) as an import library. It bitched about an invalid directory until I put a DVD in it and then it was fine. The HD100 can happily see and browse the DVD and play the .vob files.

Since it can do that, is there any reason that it couldn't recognize the audio_ts, video_ts layout of that dir as a DVD and basically play it as one. Right now it looks like it can play the .vob files one by one, but it won't do the menus or handle the DVD structure. Since the client on the server machine can deal with that, I would think that the HD100 could recognize a DVD layout wherever it found it and treat it properly.

Just wondering.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:34 PM
SageTVaholic

That is exactly the way I have mine set up and it works fine. I just added the DVD drive letter as the new media import folder. After a rescan, the Video_TS folder appeared as a new item in my video library. I just select it and hit play. (FYI, I'm using SageMC, but I assume it would work the same in the default STV.)

Aloha,
Mike
Old 06-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
After a rescan, the Video_TS folder appeared as a new item in my video library. I just select it and hit play. (FYI, I'm using SageMC, but I assume it would work the same in the default STV.)

Aloha,
Mike
So does it play all the vob's in the right order or do you have to play each one separately. I could only get mine to play the vob's one at a time. Not the end of the world, but certainly not the ideal way to enjoy the movie watching experience. I'd like to see it recognize the structure and treat it as a proper DVD.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:30 AM
SageTVaholic

It treats it as a normal DVD.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, this seems simple enough but I get the "invalid drive" notation if I have a dvd in the drive or not (I have tried several). Is there anything else I am missing? Do I need to decrypt on the fly?

Last edited by ldavis; 06-07-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

I haven't tried it without the decrypt-on-the-fly method. I have installed DVD43 on my server and can play the DVD's on the hd extenders (and mediamvp's) without any problems.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryand833 View Post
I haven't tried it without the decrypt-on-the-fly method. I have installed DVD43 on my server and can play the DVD's on the hd extenders (and mediamvp's) without any problems.
Well, I have now installed DVD43 with no change in the invalid directory problem.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:25 AM
Sage User

I wish they would address this

This is one of my main reasons for possibly going the SageTV route. I was looking at at least $50 just for a dvd player for our room but I could instead put that towards an hd extender.

But I can't believe that of all things, it seems you can't seamlessly play a DVD from the server's DVD Drive to an hd extender? Is this correct? It seems some of you have a workaround but I've got kids, a wife, etc, that are not going to understand browsing a library to look for a drive share. I was hoping to get two extenders, one for the kids area and one for our bedroom. It would be nice to just hit a button on the remote called DVD and then watch whatever dvd is in the server.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

I use AnyDVD in my server. Drop a DVD in... go to the video and select that DVD drive and it plays fine on my extender.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

OK, this cannot be as difficult as I am making it. I have DVD43 installed and am able to play a DVD back over it via Zoomplayer and a mapped network drive. I set this drive up as an import folder in Sage (using SageMC) and rescan the folder but I get nothing. It is not showing the VIDEO_TS folder as an imported video Any advice??
Old 06-17-2008, 04:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavis View Post
OK, this cannot be as difficult as I am making it. I have DVD43 installed and am able to play a DVD back over it via Zoomplayer and a mapped network drive. I set this drive up as an import folder in Sage (using SageMC) and rescan the folder but I get nothing. It is not showing the VIDEO_TS folder as an imported video Any advice??
Are you running SageTV as a service?
Old 06-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yes
Old 06-17-2008, 04:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Then you need to have a UNC path, not a mapped drive.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Yup. Needs to be a UNC path. Also make sure you set the SageTV service to use a password protected account with the necessary permissions to see the share.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 06-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Then you need to have a UNC path, not a mapped drive.

Gerry
OK, I have tried to enter "\\LDAVIS-PC\E Network DVD" and it shows up as an imprt folder but no video (there is a DVD in the drive )
Old 06-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
Yup. Needs to be a UNC path. Also make sure you set the SageTV service to use a password protected account with the necessary permissions to see the share.

Aloha,
Mike
I'll need a little help there. How do I "set the SageTV service to use a password protected account with the necessary permissions to see the share." Is that done from the "administrative tools\services" in Windows? I think I see where that is. Will this setting be remembered through various installs of Sage or will I need to remember to reset this after each new version?
Old 06-17-2008, 05:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavis View Post
I'll need a little help there. How do I "set the SageTV service to use a password protected account with the necessary permissions to see the share." Is that done from the "administrative tools\services" in Windows? I think I see where that is. Will this setting be remembered through various installs of Sage or will I need to remember to reset this after each new version?
You can set it there by bringing up properties for the SageTV service you can use the SageTV service control app in the start menu. The user will be reset every time you upgrade, so you will have to remember to set it back up each time. (I've been bitten by that one a couple of times)

Aloha,
Mike
Old 06-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well, I am still stumped. The only thing I can figure is that I have not shared the drive properly with the correct permissions. I have XP home and I think you have to enter "safe mode" to see the permissions (unless you know of another way). I just shared the drive (do not know how to set any permissions with XP home) and logged into service using the only login I have. Again, any further input?
Old 06-17-2008, 06:12 PM
SageTVaholic

The login you use needs to have a password. Set a password for that user and use that same user and password to run the SageTV service.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
The login you use needs to have a password. Set a password for that user and use that same user and password to run the SageTV service.

Gerry
I had done that. I have but one user and already have a password for that as it had been set earlier to run scheduled tasks.

This may help some of you gurus help me with my problem - I can access the drive using network paths on the compter the drive is physically at but I do not have permissions on other computers to access the drive.

Another point: When I was talking about playing in Zoomplayer via a mapped network drive. That was on a networked computer. The DVD drive is actually physically located on the server (I have all my drives on the sever and have never used a mapped or UNC drive designation before - but this may be a different situation). But if I use the physical drive letter or the UNC path - I get an invalid drive.

Last edited by ldavis; 06-17-2008 at 06:45 PM.