SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Sage Icon

Dish Network dual tuner STB + USB-uirt?

I'm looking to dump Cable and go with Dish Network. When I called to order they were talking about setting me up with 2 dual tuner STB's as I have 4 tuners hooked up to Sage. The problem I am anticipating is that the dual tuner STb's have only 1 infrared receiver per box. How would I set this up to work with the USB-Iurt?
Old 06-01-2008, 05:37 AM
SageTVaholic

The auxilliary tuners on the dual-tuner boxes are RF, there's no way to control the second tuner from a PC, you'll need 4 boxes.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:58 AM
Sage Icon

That's what I thought...
But when I called them all they kept saying was that it would work fine. I talked to CSR, supervisor and finally tech support and they all kept trying to get to to just sign up saying all will be fine.
Thanx for saving me the time and fustration.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:12 AM
SageTVaholic

You getting HD boxes? If so, just tell them you've got 4 HDTVs, the only way they can make that work is to get 4 boxes since they don't have HD boxes with Dual HD outputs.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:51 PM

This is something I am considering as well. From the reading I have done the dual tuners can only send out 1 video signal. I saw this on a DirectTV forum where a guy wanted like 8 or 9 different TVs and could not use the Dual tuner boxes for 2 TVs at once. So to record 4 channels you need 4 boxes.

However, my question - if you have 4 boxes how do you control them via an IR repeater? A signal sent to one box would go to all 4. Would you have to isolate each one so the IR signals wouldn't get sent to multiple sources?

Ultimately I want 3-4 HD tuners located with my PC, then stream it to the TVs in the house via Sage / HD Extenders.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandont View Post
This is something I am considering as well. From the reading I have done the dual tuners can only send out 1 video signal. I saw this on a DirectTV forum where a guy wanted like 8 or 9 different TVs and could not use the Dual tuner boxes for 2 TVs at once. So to record 4 channels you need 4 boxes.

However, my question - if you have 4 boxes how do you control them via an IR repeater? A signal sent to one box would go to all 4. Would you have to isolate each one so the IR signals wouldn't get sent to multiple sources?

Ultimately I want 3-4 HD tuners located with my PC, then stream it to the TVs in the house via Sage / HD Extenders.
The USB-UIRT has zone control for up to 3 boxes. For 4 boxes you would use 2 UIRTs each controlling 2 boxes.

S
Old 06-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Dish Network's boxes have some more interesting options than Direct's for normal users. The VIP-622 and VIP-722 have two sat tuners, AND two different TV outputs. You can watch two different shows at the same time on two different TVs, though one TV is limited to SD resolution.

Unfortunately, as stated above the second TV control is RF only. It really frustrated me because I always use my own universal remotes instead of the ones that come with the gear. It ended up being one more nail in the "Dish DVR Coffin", and is one of the pluses for switching to Sage.

Cheers,
Slipshod
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 06-02-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
The USB-UIRT has zone control for up to 3 boxes. For 4 boxes you would use 2 UIRTs each controlling 2 boxes.

S
Thanks, I understand the the USB-UIRT will control multiple sources. However if all 3/4 sources are identical and stacked on the same shelf then when you send a signal to 1 sat box, all 3/4 would respond with the action. I think the proximity of the boxes will cause them to receive reflected IR signals from the wrong IR transmitters. Please correct me if I am wrong. If I am correct, what has been done to resolve this?
Old 06-02-2008, 06:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks, I understand the the USB-UIRT will control multiple sources. However if all 3/4 sources are identical and stacked on the same shelf then when you send a signal to 1 sat box, all 3/4 would respond with the action. I think the proximity of the boxes will cause them to receive reflected IR signals from the wrong IR transmitters. Please correct me if I am wrong. If I am correct, what has been done to resolve this?
You need an IR emitter and a mono to stereo adapter plugged into the back of the USB-UIRT. Then tape the emitters to each box - I use black electrical tape to block other signals as well as to hold the emitter in place.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You can change the IR "code" for Dish recievers so that each one responds to a different set of IR codes (thus they don't conflict). I think SHS may have posted a how-to on that quite a while back.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Follow the zone control link and read closely, esp. the "Important Note 1" and you will find your answer.

S
Old 06-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Sage Icon

Just an update.

I was getting fustrated with all the price and setup issues surrounding Sat and finally called my CabCo (Charter) and told them I was thinking about cancelling and going with Dish. They sent me to the Cancellation Dept. which gave me a great deal.
All regular cable channels, all premium channels and HD with 3 HD boxes with 10Mb/s internet for $99.99
Neither of the Sat companies came close. Although CabCo does not have as many HD channels, they have most of the ones I like Except for Sci-Fi