SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 05-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Sage Icon

Which PMP do you have or recommend?

Hello, I'm looking for a good PMP. Large screen, customizable, and able to read .srt or .txt commercial skip. I prefer a hard drive base.

I saw the Archos 7" screen but what's up with the charges with all the plugins?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Sage Icon

This looks nice with and has a 5" screen: http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/cowon/q5w/
Old 06-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Sage Icon

Here's another: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-...deo-203309.php
Old 06-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Sage User

Damn you and your expendable income.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Sage Fanatic

I have an archos 605 wifi. I had picked up an older av500 on ebay, but it didn't like the formats that sage was recording. It was quickly apparent that transcoding just for the pmp was going to be a messy PITA, so I sold the old and got a refurb 605 direct from archos' site. Had to buy the cinema plugin for the sage format (mp4 IIRC), but it already had the web one Owhich is opera,works pretty well), probably due to being a refurb. Anyway, I like it for its drag n drop simplicity. We use it for kids stuff in the family truckster. I don't like the fact tha you must have the dock attachmentto view on a tv, as the old one had it built in. One cool thing I noticed last night as I was messing with wifi the first time was that my pc picked it up as a new media device simply because I connected it to the wireless network. I assume this means I could sync wirelessly although that would take forever, as it took most of the night to put 100 gbs of videos on it via usb.

tonight i,m going to play with opera widgets on it.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Sage Expert

(mostly) Love my Archos 5 IMT

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I just bought an Archo5 IMT (Internet Media Tablet), and I really like it. Thought I'd share some quick thoughts on it.

PROs:

1. It's very pretty. Coming from a Creative Zen Vision:M, the supersized touchscreen is really nice. They waste a lot of it for MP3 playback (small album art and font), but video playback is great.

2. Built in speaker (though tinny) is a nice addon for sharing music (e.g., "I like this new song; wanna listen?"). Obviously not meant for full-time playback.

3. Simple hard-drive mentality. You can sync with Windows Media (and perhaps other players as well), but it's just as easy to drag and drop files on and off of it.

4. Wifi (G) built in. Streaming media is nice (but I haven't gotten UPnP streams to play yet; can surf to a file share and play from there).

5. Opera is included. Nice to have a screen larger than a phone for web-based email; planning on using it at a conference this week instead of hauling around my laptop.

CONs:

1. Not really a con, just a surprise: it's heavier than it looks. Very sleek, but it's a sleek brick.

2. the whole plugin thing ticks me off. When I bought it (with the first beta firmware), I could play all kinds of files without having to purchase a codec. I upgraded to the latest firmware and MPEG2 now demands I purchase a codec. Since I bought this thing to playback my TV shows on the road (and plane), I went ahead and forked over the money.

3. Battery life is so-so. You can buy an extended battery dock, but last I checked, they were still unavailable.

4. Without a dock, you can't charge it over A/C. Charging it via USB takes about 8 hours (more if you can't stop playing with it <G>). I bought the mini dock, thinking I could use it upstairs to watch TV streaming; not recommended. If you want to do that, get the DVR dock with a remote.

Overall, it's a great product, but not a superior product. I'd be interested in hearing others opinions about it.

Stu