SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

recommend remote?

I have a handicapped friend who we are setting up a HD TV and I would like to add SageTV. But, need somewhat familiar IR remote control not a keyboard/mouse interface.
What remotes are best for use with SageTV?
Thanks,
Ray
Old 09-28-2007, 05:52 AM
Sage Icon

This question is asked a lot. You can find several threads covering this topic.

Is this remote to just control a TV and SageTV or is it to control other equipment.

If you need to control other equipment one of the Logitec Harmony remotes would be best. If just TV and SageTV, then any of the others will work fine.

Just my $0.02
Old 09-28-2007, 06:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks,
Sorry!
Maybe what I should have said is, what interface & remote can I use
with pc to totally control SageTV.
I searched and got bits of different info but not an overall BEST most
useful remote to totally control SageTV, and recommend interface
for pc to picup ir and/or RF.
Thanks,
I'll search again.
Was looking for WOW suggestions.
Ray
Old 09-28-2007, 06:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

After searching more I guess I should have said I will NOT
install MCE, just WinXP.
Thanks,
Ray
Old 09-28-2007, 06:52 AM
Sage Icon

I have a SageTV client pc that all I use is a remote. When it boots up it automatically starts SageTV in fullscreen mode.

I use a usb-uirt and a Harmony remote. I don't have to use the keyboard or mouse to do anything. Most of the time they are not even connected to the computer. I do all my administration work via ultraVNC remote.

hope this helps,
Old 09-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Sage Icon

I think the Snapstream FireFly is the best. It's not IR so I guess it's out???
Old 09-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

IR or RF is ok.
I am just trying to find the best (simple and useful) hand held remote
control for SageTV by someone who does not really know how to control
a PC. Would prefer HD extender for SageTV but who know when that will be out. Thanks, Ray
Old 09-28-2007, 11:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewman View Post
Would prefer HD extender for SageTV but who know when that will be out. Thanks, Ray
Check this thread.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Sage Icon

I very much recommend the harmony series. The low end ones are still good, and you can get a high end 880 for about $110 from Dell right now. It's a great remote and super configurable.

I hope the extender is designed to use MCE remote codes for easy programming, though the harmony would make a proprietary one eay to emulate too.

thanks,
mike
Old 09-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Sage User

I may be in the minority here, but I actually like the remote that Hauppauge includes with their products. It's clean and simple, not bulky, not too many buttons, yet still has enough to control everything I need it to when watching SageTV.

That said, I am considering upgrading to one of the oft-recommended Harmony models at some point, just to be able to control all components with one remote.

No matter what model you go with, the best way to get IR into SageTV, IMHO, is the USB-UIRT. That was easily the best $50 I ever spent. SageTV natively uses it for receiving IR and for tuning an external STB, or you can plug it into most popular automation packages for even more control.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Sage Icon

No omega no!

Get a copy of EventGhost and just revive you love.

In Eventghost load plugins for the USBUIRT and SageTV.

In SageTV you say you have no remote control, in EventGhost match the IR coming in from the USBIRT to the SageTV system messages.

Now setup some "exclusives" in EventGhost, these are control folders that can be called exclusively. So on the Hauppauge remote you map the TV button to a macro like enables exclusive mode of SageTV, while in this mode the remote will control ONLY SageTV and things you feel are handy from within SageTV.

Then map the Radio button (or whichever you choose, I don't have radio) and have that enable a different mode. This will disable SageTV control and enable some other mode. You can remap the 5 way to be mouse + enter and the channel +/- become scroll +/- and you can decently surf the web with it too.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Sage User

Y'know... I have been meaning to check out EventGhost ever since I first heard it mentioned somewhere in these forums.

At the moment I do the majority of my SageTV watching on my MVP, so that software isn't really an option for me right now (and my poor USB-UIRT has been temporarily relegated to a shelf in my closet), but I'm working on building a new client HTPC that, among other things, will allow me to take advantage of automation software like EventGhost.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Sage Icon

I use EventGhost to control my MVP.

This way I can have an RF remote in the master bedroom, works fine.

If you get a new remote get a Snapstream FireFly, it's got native support in EventGhost and functionally is a great remote thats also easy on batteries.