SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmakkuni View Post
Is it even possible for me to download a firmware update right now since I get absolutely nothing, can't even bring up the Servers menu on the extender to attempt a firmware update that way, as was recommended in SageTV Media Extender FAQ. Is there any other method I can use to do a firmware update? I suppose its possible to download the firmware to a flash drive and then mount it via the USB ports on the extender but that defeats the purpose of the internet connectivity test for the extender that you have in mind.
Again, I am confused by your statements. I assume that you meant to say that it is NOT possible to download. You do not need any access to your local server to update the firmware. Are you trying to say that you can't see the HD extender configuration menu? That menu is in the firmware and should always be displayed when requested. How are you trying to boot the HD extender?
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Sage User

Question

I don't see why that I wrote earlier was so confusing. I'm referring to the suggestions given elsewhere in this forum in the FAQ, here is the link: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...797#post253797. Specifically, see the section titled STX-HD100 Firmware Updates.

At any rate, yes, I cannot see the configuration menu, in fact I cannot see anything, I get an empty black screen. I also assume the menu is built into the firmware but that apparently isn't the case. The unit also doesn't respond with anything on-screen in response to commands from its remote thought the "Link" light will blink each time the remote is used.

Its my turn to be confused, what local servers are you talking about? I mentioned that I cannot access the servers menu on the extender (referred to in the above FAQ) but I didn not mention a physical local server.

Also, what do you mean by how are you booting up the extender? I have it networked into my home router via ethernet as I mentioned in my first post here. The extender is also linked to a small TV with composite A/V (for testing the whole setup till I can hook it up to my HDTV once its up and running). Is something else needed?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Sage Icon

If you have not seen anything from the HD extender, it sounds like a problem with the connection between the extender and your TV. When you apply power to the HD extender you should see some type of message on your TV. Did you get a Installation and Setup Guide with the extender? If so, look at the Configuring the HD Media Extender section. I suspect that your extender has not been configured.
Your first post said your recently bought the Media Extender. Did you get it from Sage or buy a used one? If you bought it used, it may have already been configured in a manner that your TV is not expecting. That may be why you are only seeing a black screen on your TV. You need to be able to see something on your TV before you worry about the network connection. You should see something even without a network connection.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Sage User

Thumbs up

I bought the extender direct from Sage, not used. Turns out that the extender output didn't work with composite A/V for whatever reason, probably the TV's resolution settings, I finally got the output on screen using an HDMI cable to the family HDTV where we intended to have the SageTV box in the 1st place. Ok that is done.

I brought up the sagetv configuration menus on the extender, checked the firmware, its up-to-date. The extender found the server box but there is still the connectivity issue. If I try and select that server, the extender reboots but never actually links to the server.

Next, I'm trying to apply different route settings to the extender using route -n, route add and ifconfig. I also noticed on wireshark that the server is attempting to send output to 192.168.1.255 which currently happens to be broadcast IP of the extender.

Can you kindly provide me with your working extender's route -n output here? It will help me get an idea of what configuration I should try to align the extender to. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Sage Icon

Here is the output from my route -n command:
em86xx[/root]# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
em86xx[/root]#

192.168.1.254 is my DSL router
Old 11-10-2008, 08:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmakkuni View Post
I bought the extender direct from Sage, not used. Turns out that the extender output didn't work with composite A/V for whatever reason, probably the TV's resolution settings, I finally got the output on screen using an HDMI cable to the family HDTV where we intended to have the SageTV box in the 1st place. Ok that is done.

I brought up the sagetv configuration menus on the extender, checked the firmware, its up-to-date. The extender found the server box but there is still the connectivity issue. If I try and select that server, the extender reboots but never actually links to the server.

Next, I'm trying to apply different route settings to the extender using route -n, route add and ifconfig. I also noticed on wireshark that the server is attempting to send output to 192.168.1.255 which currently happens to be broadcast IP of the extender.

Can you kindly provide me with your working extender's route -n output here? It will help me get an idea of what configuration I should try to align the extender to. Thanks.
Why not make this easy on yourself and don't set a static IP. (You had mentioned previously)Let your DHCP server deliver it an address and finish configuring from there. If it doesn't get an address you have other issues. Select the server and let it reboot. Wait awhile and if nothing comes up switch off the power from the switch in the back and try it again. Once you get that working you can go back to trying to give it a static IP.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.