SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:32 AM
Sage Icon

Care to post your modified directions?

Thanks,

P
Old 05-28-2008, 08:19 AM
SageTVaholic

The official directions are here : http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/hdho...s/sagetv_cable

The main change I made was this step

* Choose "Use Tuner on Capture Card to tune Antenna/Broadcast".

Instead of choosing Antenna/Broadcast, I chose Cable TV at this step. Everything else I did the same as they specify.

--------

The way that it was working for me in previous releases was that I would follow the directions up to the disable all channels step - after which I would do a channel scan and the 8 HD locals that I had enabled in the HDHR Setup program were found immediately - and then I mapped them accordingly. That short cut isn't working any more.

btl.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Sage Expert

anxiously waiting to try this out.

Although I think I'll wait until the weekend. Everything is working well right now. I'm not installing any new beta versions or firmware or ANYTHING until after I watch Lost tomorrow night!

But after that, I'll be testing this out.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Sage Icon

I'm confused, and hopeful at the same time.

I have 2 PVR-500's in my machine and tuner #2 on both cards (but MUCH worse on card #2) have horrible troubles recording some analog cable channels (11, 47, 50)

Would this feature allow me to disable those channels on the trouble tuners? This would for Sage to record those channels on the "good" tuners all the time. Now those channels sometimes get recorded by the bad tuners even though their merit setting is lower because Sage needs all the tuners.

Fingers crossed!!
Old 05-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
I'm confused, and hopeful at the same time.

I have 2 PVR-500's in my machine and tuner #2 on both cards (but MUCH worse on card #2) have horrible troubles recording some analog cable channels (11, 47, 50)

Would this feature allow me to disable those channels on the trouble tuners? This would for Sage to record those channels on the "good" tuners all the time. Now those channels sometimes get recorded by the bad tuners even though their merit setting is lower because Sage needs all the tuners.

Fingers crossed!!
Yes, this feature would allow that.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Yes, this feature would allow that.

Ok, revise that. I just don't grok what's going on. I'm seeing 9 and TV Tuner 9 (same for every channel) now in the channel setup and can select/deselect one or both with the 2nd tuner on my PVR-500. However in the program guide I'm now also seeing these same dupes for every channel and naturally the one with "Tv Tuner 'x'" is showing no data.
Since this is just a way to disable a couple channels on individual tuners (for me anyway) I don't want a conflubbed guide, I just want to see channel 9, 10, etc in the guide and have SageTv know that if I choose to record something off channel 9 then it shouldn't use tuner #2 or #4 and instead use tuners #1 or #3.

I"m sure it probably has something to do with the remap option, but I've tried all the remapping options and those pesky Tv Tuner "channels" still keep showing up in the epg. <sigh>

For now, until I can figure it out or have someone tell me what I'm doing wrong I've just gone back to the old way and have to shoot the dice on whether stuff from channels 9, 47, 50, and a couple others are lucky enough to record on a tuner that can actually make a viewable recording.

Last edited by waynedunham; 06-02-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:13 PM
SageTVaholic

At the very least do you have the tuner merit for the good tuners higher than bad ones?

Each tuner on the PVR-500 gets a merit, and they can be different. So if the merits are right, you should only record on the bad tuners if the good tuners are in use.

ie :

A.PVR500 tuner 1 (good) - merit 10
A.PVR500 tuner 2 (bad) - merit 5
B.PVR500 tuner 1 (good) - merit 10
B.PVR500 tuner 2 (very bad) - merit 2

btl.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted at Yesterday at 9:01 AM:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
Added at Yesterday at 11:30 AM:
Quote:
Ok, revise that. I just don't grok what's going on.
BTW: if you had added a new reply, more people might have seen your post. Edits don't show up as new posts.

How did you set up the 2nd tuner? "TV Tuner 9" sounds like it wasn't configured the same way as the first one -- you should get up to the point of selecting the exact same provider/lineup, at which point, it will ask if you want to copy the lineup to a separately configurable layout.

Also note that the release notes say:
Quote:
10. When setting up a new source with a lineup that is already in use by another source with a different connection type, added option to copy the already-used lineup to a separately configurable lineup for the new source so that different channels can be enabled. If the "epg/force_ask_to_copy_lineup" property is true (default: false), then the user will see this option when a lineup is already used, even if the connection type is the same.
Since you are talking about the exact same type of tuner, the physical connection type is most likely the same, so you would need to set the epg/force_ask_to_copy_lineup property to true.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
At the very least do you have the tuner merit for the good tuners higher than bad ones?

Each tuner on the PVR-500 gets a merit, and they can be different. So if the merits are right, you should only record on the bad tuners if the good tuners are in use.

ie :

A.PVR500 tuner 1 (good) - merit 10
A.PVR500 tuner 2 (bad) - merit 5
B.PVR500 tuner 1 (good) - merit 10
B.PVR500 tuner 2 (very bad) - merit 2

btl.
Yep, the tuner merits are set. Unfortunately all tuners are used so often that it ends up being a crap shoot as to which channel ends up on which tuner.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Added at Yesterday at 11:30 AM:

BTW: if you had added a new reply, more people might have seen your post. Edits don't show up as new posts.

How did you set up the 2nd tuner? "TV Tuner 9" sounds like it wasn't configured the same way as the first one -- you should get up to the point of selecting the exact same provider/lineup, at which point, it will ask if you want to copy the lineup to a separately configurable layout.

Also note that the release notes say:
Since you are talking about the exact same type of tuner, the physical connection type is most likely the same, so you would need to set the epg/force_ask_to_copy_lineup property to true.

- Andy
I guess I should have added another message instead of just editing that one, but it was only a couple hours so I figured it wouldn't hurt that much.

I first set that property to true (shut down Sage, stopped service, changed, restarted everything) since I figured that since it was the same connection type I would need that.
Then I went in and removed the tuners that I wanted to be able to disable certain channels on. I then re-added them and did get to the point of selecting the provider/lineup and it brought up the dialog about copying it to a separately configurable lineup and I chose yes. Then when I went into the place to select/deselect which channels were available that's where it would show me a double selection for each channel. One with the "real" name of the channel and the other one with "TV Tuner 'x'" where 'x' was the channel #.
That happened for both tuners I tried. Both being the 2nd tuner on each PVR500 card.
So I went back and removed them again and just put in the old method and am still stuck with any changes to a lineup effecting all 4 tuners.

<sigh> Now another problem has cropped up that's related I'm sure to adding/removing those lineups/tuners several times. I have phantom conflicts that show in the EPG as conflicts, but those shows (manual records) won't show up in the recording schedule. If I search for the program name they show as set to manual record and having conflicts.
If I remove the manual record and then try to re add it the conflict icon shows up but it doesn't send me to the conflict dialog asking what I want to do and the program still won't show up in scheduled recordings.

It's probably time to start with a fresh properties file. This one is, or at least is based on, my original one from years ago. I just hate to start all over again massaging all the properties I've changed over the life of my Sage installation.
Either that, or something wonky in my Wiz.bin but let's not even think about starting a fresh one of those! Years of watched/don't Like, info down the tubes!!
Old 06-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Administrator

I always make backups of my properties files and wiz.bin before trying new things.

When you change the lineup, I don;t think you need to go through the complete source setup -- from the source details screen, there should be a button to select and change the EPG source.

But, maybe there is some sort of conflict going on with the method of copying the channels to the new lineup when the source was already configured. You could try removing the properties relating to the tuner you want to reconfigure & see what happens when you set up that source again.

Finally, this is a new feature, so if you continue to have problems with it, submit a bug report. It worked when I used it, but I'm not sure if there are other situations where it might not work as intended.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I always make backups of my properties files and wiz.bin before trying new things.

When you change the lineup, I don;t think you need to go through the complete source setup -- from the source details screen, there should be a button to select and change the EPG source.

But, maybe there is some sort of conflict going on with the method of copying the channels to the new lineup when the source was already configured. You could try removing the properties relating to the tuner you want to reconfigure & see what happens when you set up that source again.

Finally, this is a new feature, so if you continue to have problems with it, submit a bug report. It worked when I used it, but I'm not sure if there are other situations where it might not work as intended.

- Andy
I may give it another try this weekend when I get a chance. Those EPG/Manual recording oddities I listed in my previous message seem to have fixed themselves. I did have some recording strangeness on that first night. One recording started about 3/4 of the way through the timeslot, and another one stopped at about the same time. All the future ones straightened themselves out.

Ripping the properties for those tuners out of sage.properties and letting it do a fresh confirguration probably isn't a bad idea.

If I still have troubles I'll document the steps the best that I can and submit a bug report.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

I too had "No Data" for awhile in the EPG, but after some time (24 hours?) it has apparently fixed itself and is working as designed. Thanks Sage for timing this with the HD PVR from Hauppauge

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 w/ SageTV Server Linux V9.1.8.774 - Ubuntu 16.04LTS AMD64
-- 1x HDHomeRun Prime
-- 1x HDHR-DT
-- 1x HD-PVR
2x SageTV HD-300 Media Extenders
1x NVIDIA ShieldTV
Old 06-08-2008, 05:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Doesn't work for me. I never get the option to copy an existing lineup. When I open my Sage properties file I don't even have the line "epg/force_ask_to_copy_lineup". I tried manually adding the line to the properties file and setting it to true, but still no luck. Have filed a bug report.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade View Post
Doesn't work for me. I never get the option to copy an existing lineup. When I open my Sage properties file I don't even have the line "epg/force_ask_to_copy_lineup". I tried manually adding the line to the properties file and setting it to true, but still no luck. Have filed a bug report.
Were you using the SageMC version of the default STV for setup, or did you use the actual default STV? Always use the default STV for configuration purposes: SageTV3.xml.

And, did you close SageTV completely before editing sage.properties?

- Andy
Old 06-08-2008, 10:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Were you using the SageMC version of the default STV for setup, or did you use the actual default STV? Always use the default STV for configuration purposes: SageTV3.xml.

And, did you close SageTV completely before editing sage.properties?

- Andy
I used the default stv and had shut Sage down including the service. If I have time I'm going to try again later today.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Sage User

My problem is I have "No Data" in the guide for the channels associated with the tuner for which I created a copy of an existing lineup.

I've been able to add/copy a new, separate channel lineup from my local DirecTV channels for the HD-PVR composite tuner. I had to change from SageMC to the standard STV, but the option worked as described.

I saw one post where one lucky user had the problem magically disappear after 24 hours...not happening for me, I'm afraid.

Any ideas?

Thanks folks!
Dave

EDIT: I just submitted a bug report on this. I'm guessing that the copy of the DirecTV lineup is no longer associated with the guide data for the original DirecTV lineup.

Last edited by gtdave; 06-10-2008 at 07:27 AM. Reason: submitted bug report
Old 06-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

So Riddle me this then.

I ordered a HD receiver from DTV and it will be in soon.

Until I can afford the HD-DVR from Hauppauge I was going to pop a single PVR-150 card in addition to my Nvidia DualTV card for this new tuner to use.

I will have it setup to record the HD channells at 480p using s-video and it will be the only tuner set to use the HD channels as the SD boxes cant tune in those channels namely as even at 480p the picture is much better than the corresponding SD channel.

So I guess what I am asking is, if I setup the PVR-150 card with DTV as the source it could now have a seperate lineup from the SD receivers and when a request was made to record one of the HD channels then only the HD receiver and PVR-150 card would be used, correct?
"Life is a banquet and most people are starving to death!"
Old 06-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkyjoe View Post
So I guess what I am asking is, if I setup the PVR-150 card with DTV as the source it could now have a seperate lineup from the SD receivers and when a request was made to record one of the HD channels then only the HD receiver and PVR-150 card would be used, correct?
If there aren't separate lineups for digital vs non-digital options for your provider, then you could use this new lineup-copy feature to be able to separately configure the enabled channels.

- Andy