SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Sage Fanatic

How To; Vista Media Center coexisting with SageTV

Installed SageClient on a Vista Ultimate operating system and soon noticed that an error message would keep appearing, "Windows receiver service has stopped working", also VMC would report "no tuners are installed" when attempting to watch TV.

Used a program to record what files and registry entries changed when installing SageClient, and noted that Sageclient was making registry entries for one of my OTA HD tuners (AverTV M780) and a Hauppauge tuner. So I removed those tuners and left only the Fusion HDTV tuner.

BAM, VMC and SageClient working fine together.

Could someone look at these registry entries for AverTV and Hauppauge and see if it may be possible to delete those registry entries or modify them?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2008, 12:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Are you talking about Sage Client or are you talking about Sage Server installed on a VMC PC and running as the client. It's different.

Sage Client for the PC should not be accessing any hardware tuners whatsoever. Sage Server on the other hand wants to grab the tuner hardware. So in that case it becomes either/or. Either you run Sage server or you run VMC. Or you configure each for different tuners. (I think you can do that.)

I haven't run the client on a VMC PC for a while so maybe it has changed. But I'm pretty sure the client shouldn't try accessing tuner hardware. The receiver service needs to be stopped if you've configured Sage to use the VMC remote.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
if you've configured Sage to use the VMC remote.

Gerry

I am talking about Sageclient. Never thought about the MCE remote, maybe that is the source of the problem. I will check it out...

EDIT; OK, just checked Sageclient has MCE remote selected (same as previous installs) and VMC and Sageclient are still working together. Only different I can see is the installed tuners.

Here are the registry entries Sagclient is installing for the M780;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AVerMedia AVerTV MPEG Video Capture
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AVerMedia AVerTV MPEG Video Capture\CaptureMask=2048
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AVerMedia AVerTV MPEG Video Capture\ChipsetMask=34
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AVerMedia AVerTV Video Capture (AF2)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AVerMedia AVerTV Video Capture (AF2)\CaptureMask=2048
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AVerMedia AVerTV Video Capture (AF2)\ChipsetMask=2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AverMedia M780 PCIe Audio/Video Capture 1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AverMedia M780 PCIe Audio/Video Capture 1\hybrid=AverMedia M780 PCIe Digital Video Capture 2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AverMedia M780 PCIe Audio/Video Capture 1\CaptureMask=2048
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AverMedia M780 PCIe Audio/Video Capture 1\ChipsetMask=0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AVerMedia USB Capture
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AVerMedia USB Capture\CaptureMask=2048
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AVerMedia XC-MPEG Capture 1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AVerMedia XC-MPEG Capture 1\CaptureMask=2048
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AVerMedia XC-MPEG Capture 2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AVerMedia XC-MPEG Capture 2\CaptureMask=2048
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AVerMedia, MPEG Video Capture (88x)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AVerMedia, MPEG Video Capture (88x)\CaptureMask=2048
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\AdditionalCaptureSetups\AVerMedia, MPEG Video Capture (88x)\ChipsetMask=64

Would it be safe to delete these entries on a sageclient computer?

Last edited by jerryt; 05-13-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:51 AM
SageTVaholic

I would think so because, like I said, I didn't think the Sage client would even use the tuners or configure for them. You could export those out of the registry to be on the safe side and then delete them. Did you ever install Sage server on this machine?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Sage User

Very easy.

Make sure the UAC is turned off, this thing messes up Sagetv so bad.

Start Menu -> type "msconfig" and click on the Tools tab. Scroll down till you find "Disable UAC" . Click on that line, and then launch.

Next you'll need to open the control panel, find administrative tools, then services.

In there you can disabled a number of services, I recommend disabling all them related to Windows Media Center.

There's about two or three of them, I can list them when I get home tonight
Old 05-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwon View Post
Very easy.

Make sure the UAC is turned off, this thing messes up Sagetv so bad.

Start Menu -> type "msconfig" and click on the Tools tab. Scroll down till you find "Disable UAC" . Click on that line, and then launch.

Next you'll need to open the control panel, find administrative tools, then services.

In there you can disabled a number of services, I recommend disabling all them related to Windows Media Center.

There's about two or three of them, I can list them when I get home tonight
Yes, I know I can disable VMC. But I want to use both!!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Did you ever install Sage server on this machine?

Gerry
Yes, I had Sage server install once on this operating system, but the program I used to catch the changes; takes a snapshot before Sageclient was install and then another snapshot after the install. Then compares what has changed. So it should not be picking up old registry entries from Sage server.

I will get around to reinstalling my AverTV M780 card and then we will see if the error comes back.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:44 PM

Any further experiences with VMC and Sage co-existing?

I have two Sage HD extenders that I want to use for HD content (via HD PVR), but I also have Media Center Extenders that my wife would like to continue to use with VMC.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

Of the four different Sage installs I have done, only one plays nice with VMC and I am starting to think it is the HD card being used in that one installation.
It's a FusionHDTV 3 Gold. I have not tried to expanded that machine with a PVR-150, but I know the AverTV M780 does not work with Sage and VMC.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Other than the green button and presets (guide, DVD, TV) on the remote constantly triggering VMC to run, or doing nothing at all its running fine, even with UAC enabled. I'm still trying to deal with that at least for free (the LM remote software would be almost $50 after conversion). I'll figure it out soon as frankly, VMC is irritating in how it does some things.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryokurin View Post
Other than the green button and presets (guide, DVD, TV) on the remote constantly triggering VMC to run, or doing nothing at all its running fine, even with UAC enabled. I'm still trying to deal with that at least for free (the LM remote software would be almost $50 after conversion). I'll figure it out soon as frankly, VMC is irritating in how it does some things.
Details please? Client or Server and what tuners do you have?
Old 07-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
I running a stand alone SageTV machine. A64 3200+ 2gb mem, two PVR-1600 cards. Like I said, the biggest problem is getting Windows to ignore the green button and the option keys on the mce remote, otherwise Vista Media center starts, and I'm probably going to spend all tomorrow working on it. The biggest thing you have to remember is that once its installed, you modify everything in the virtualstore, not program files, or you'll have nothing but problems.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
Of the four different Sage installs I have done, only one plays nice with VMC and I am starting to think it is the HD card being used in that one installation.
It's a FusionHDTV 3 Gold. I have not tried to expanded that machine with a PVR-150, but I know the AverTV M780 does not work with Sage and VMC.
Well, this is not good. I just got Sage and a client license, and was hoping to set up the client on my VMC, my VMC with two M780's.

I've got a HVR-1600 coming next week. I could put the 1600 in the VMC w/ Sage client, and use the M780's with SageTV. One big advantage is the 1600's FM tuner, which I could use in VMC, but would apparently be unused in SageTV

Does Sage Client work with the HVR-1600 and VMC? Anybody know?

Last edited by frankinla; 07-26-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankinla View Post
Well, this is not good. I just got Sage and a client license, and was hoping to set up the client on my VMC, my VMC with two M780's.
You might want to check this post/thread about someone who has their M780 working with SageTV.

Quote:
Does Sage Client work with the HVR-1600 and VMC? Anybody know?
Yes it does.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You might want to check this post/thread about someone who has their M780 working with SageTV.

Yes it does.
Hmm... Yes, with sagetv, but what about sage client? It's a pain to swap the 780's w/ the 1600, what with Vista activation and all (went through that when I added more RAM, and again when I added a new Video card), though there may be advantages.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankinla View Post
Hmm... Yes, with sagetv, but what about sage client?
Not sure I understand the question. You would have the 780 (tuners) in your server PC with SageTV and then view the liveTV & recorded TV (outputted from those 780's) with your SageTV Client PC. Or am I misunderstanding you?
Old 07-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Not sure I understand the question. You would have the 780 (tuners) in your server PC with SageTV and then view the liveTV & recorded TV (outputted from those 780's) with your SageTV Client PC. Or am I misunderstanding you?
Currently, though subject to change with what I've learned today, I have my VMC (A64x2/690g/HD3450) set up with two M780's. To that I was going to add Sage Client.

I was going to remake my desktop (A64x2/NF4/7600GS) into a Sage Server of sorts, with a HVR-1600 now and an HD-PVR later.

Now I'm thinking I may just put the 780's in the desktop/server, and use the 1600 withe the VMC/Sage client.

Yup... I can see where that starts to get confusing.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Sage Icon

The Sage client needs a Sage Server to be of any use. You can't use it as a client to VMC directly. I think we're assuming that your VMC box will be the Sage Server. In addition, the tuners all go in the Server not the Client.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
The Sage client needs a Sage Server to be of any use. You can't use it as a client to VMC directly. I think we're assuming that your VMC box will be the Sage Server. In addition, the tuners all go in the Server not the Client.
yes, the client does in fact need a server. ... the existing desktop is going to become the sage server. The HD PVR and M780s in QAM mode will be for the server.

The existing VMC is going to become the sage client. the VMC/Sage Client will have an HVR 1600 in OTA HD and FM mode for the use of VMC only.

Thank god I didn't mention the MCE2005 rig with the raid 5 array in the bedroom!! Though I was thinking of replacing that with an extender.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Okay franklinla,
I can tell we're going to need to see a diagram of your system - sounds like you'll have quite the setup