SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Suggestions please...

Which is the best way to access Sage content across a WAN Internet connection between two physical locations?

What would be the minimum required Internet/network upload speed from the server's location and download speed to the client's location?

Does the HD extender work across a WAN connection?

Thanks in advance.

Any suggestions and/or thoughts are appreciated.

Randy
Old 05-07-2008, 08:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyJohnson View Post
Which is the best way to access Sage content across a WAN Internet connection between two physical locations?

What would be the minimum required Internet/network upload speed from the server's location and download speed to the client's location?

Does the HD extender work across a WAN connection?

Thanks in advance.

Any suggestions and/or thoughts are appreciated.

Randy

The Placeshifter app was created for this very purpose. Your Sage server sits at your house and you load up the Placeshifter client app on your laptop at a hotel somewhere and waaalllaaaa...you have instant access to your files.

FYI: Most High speed access (cable broadband especially) limits your upload speed. I know my access regularly tests downloads at over 4mb/s, but my upload is about a quarter of that speed. The video then has to be transcoded to a lower bit rate by your sage server in order to meet the confines of your internet connection.

The HD Extender would not work for this. Even if it could, it couldn't display a true high def image due to the downconverting of the video.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 05-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have played with the Placeshifter as I have travelled.

I was able to get recorded TV show to playback.

I was not able to get any ripped DVDs to playback. Anything that I need to do to make this work?

Does anybody have any idea what the minimum upload speed needs to be from the server for good quality playback?

Thanks again...

Randy
Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyJohnson View Post
I was not able to get any ripped DVDs to playback. Anything that I need to do to make this work?
Placeshifter does not support DVD playback. You could try importing the VOB files separately (outside a DVD folder structure), then play them via a playlist.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks...

Then are there any solutions that would give me complete access to the existing Sage infrastructure?

How much bandwidth is required to use an HD extender across a WAN interface?

How much bandwidth is required to use a SageClient across a WAN interface?

Is it even possible?

Randy
Old 05-07-2008, 01:53 PM
SageTVaholic

No transcoding happens with SageTVClient, so to use that over a WAN you'd need bandwidth comfortably larger than the bitrate of the media you're trying to play. SD media run about 3-5 Mbps or more, HD about three times that. Then double those numbers (at least) to get an idea of the WAN bandwidth required for acceptable playback.

I don't own an HD extender but I assume similar considerations apply, i.e. for the formats it can decode directly, the server is going to stream the raw data at its native bitrate without transcoding.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Sage Icon

The SageTV Client and HD Extender is not meant to work over WAN. Heck, they don't work that well over wireless LAN, nevermind the limited bandwidth of most WAN services. They won't even connect to the server over WAN unless you use some sort of VPN solution. Do what Opus4 said, extract the vob to a folder and make a playlist to play DVDs over WAN with the Placeshifter.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.