SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Sage User

Slow When Using Sage Client

I reinstalled XP and decided to upgrade to V6.3.10.
Im testing Sage to make sure its set up and running smoothly before letting my MVPs connect.
I have Sage set up to use the SageTV Service. When I start the service and open up Sage as a client as soon as I access the Program Guide or try to watch TV it slows down. It becomes unresponsive.
If I disable SageTV Service and I access Sage I can access the Program Guide and watch TV with no problems.
Any ideas?
Old 05-02-2008, 03:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Search for the threads on sagetranscoder.exe there are a couple of them which led to my setting video thumbnail generation to false, this sorted out my laggy clients.
Also worth noting that when I tried to set my remote receiving (usbuirt) up on the server, running in service mode would lock up the client portion. If you need a client running on the server this could be an issue. This wasn't a problem for me as I was happy enough to just leave it as a server and raid the pile of parts in my garage for another seperate client!
Old 05-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Sage User

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...172#post280172

That links to something I found to improved speed performance on my server and on my clients. Basically you turn off power management for your NIC cards. Instructions are in that thread.
Video: Nvidia GT610 (HDMI Out for Audio and Video)
Tuners: Hauppauge PVR-500, HVR-1600, HVR-950Q,
Software: Sage 7.1.9.256, Java 7 update 51
Remote: Logitech Harmony One
Old 05-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Sage User

planetc: Its not the sagetranscoder.exe.
Lets say I reboot my server. I turn on the SageTV service and open up Sage as a client on my server. As long as I dont access the Program Guide or Live TV I can move around in any of the other menus just as quickly as if I wasnt using the SageTV service. As soon as I open up the Program Guide or hit LiveTV, forget about it.
The weird thing is that my MVP doesnt have this problem. I can move around, watch TV and access the guide on the MVP just fine, as long as the client isnt active on the server.

coldtoes: I had already checked out that thread. It didnt help any. Thanks though.

Last edited by garcia21; 05-02-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia21 View Post
I reinstalled XP and decided to upgrade to V6.3.10.
Im testing Sage to make sure its set up and running smoothly before letting my MVPs connect.
I have Sage set up to use the SageTV Service. When I start the service and open up Sage as a client as soon as I access the Program Guide or try to watch TV it slows down. It becomes unresponsive.
If I disable SageTV Service and I access Sage I can access the Program Guide and watch TV with no problems.
Any ideas?
My assumptions first.
  1. You have SageTV in Service mode.
  2. You are loading the GUI and notice the problem when you watch TV or access the Guide menu.
  3. You are also using a USB-UIRT to both blast channel changes and receive a remote command in the GUI.
If all of this is true then try running the SageTV Service with the same user as you use with the GUI. Note the user must have a password if you are using UNC paths. In any case when I switch the GUI to use the same user as the Service the problem went away for me.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Sage User

1 month later.....
BobPhoenix, you are correct on all 3. I dont know why I decided to not use the same user. I have always used the same user for both the service and login. I made the changes and all is working fine now.
I lived with it for 1 month, mostly because I havent really had time to use my server's GUI. Thanks!