SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

automatically playing live TV in the menus???

I am having an extremely annoying problem with placeshifter running SageMC.

When I finish watching a recorded show and I come back to the menus, placeshifter automatically starts playing liveTV in the background (actually, all I hear is the audio for it and I see the icon in the lower left shows the name of what ever is on liveTV).

Why is this happening and can I turn it off some how. I never want it to automatically show me liveTV, but I might want it to keep playing the current show I am watching.

Thanks
Greg
Old 04-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Mine does this too, but not just in placeshifter, it does it on the extenders as well.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Sage Icon

Disable "Always show videos on menus" change to "If video is playing"
Old 04-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

D'oh, that was it.

I remember setting this setting when I first installed all the clients. I didn't think I picked Always on any of the clients. I must have though. Changing that setting worked like a charm.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Greg
Old 03-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Resurrecting this thread because its the only one I found on topic.

I have the same problem as the OP, but I already have (always have) had my Video Preview set to "If Active". This is set in the default STV, Detailed Setup, Multimedia, Video Menu Options. I couldn't find a similar/related setting in SageMC. Is there anywhere else this is set, or is there a properties value to tinker with?

In my case, occasionally when done watching a recording or even a video, SageTV starts playing Live TV in the preview window.

Here is what just happened a couple minutes ago. I had turned on the HD200 to see what was recorded in the last couple days. I started a recorded show (2 days old) and stopped it hitting stop twice which lands you back at the "Program Info" screen for the recorded show I was just looking at. The preview window immediately became active with a Live TV program. I hadn't posted yet on this subject because I wanted to make certain SageTV wasn't just returning me to a LiveTV program/station I had started and stopped earlier or something. In this case, no live TV had been watched at all during this session.

The problem is not directly reproducible, IOW, if I start the same recording again and stop again, the Live TV doesn't pop up in the preview window. Any thoughts?

FWIW, this seems to happen after my instance uptime is at least a few days and my Java Heap has grown a bit. Currently those are 4 days 14 hours and 336MB/357MB/533MB
Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Update:
This is NOT dependent on uptime and/or Java heap after all. I powered down yesterday to install a UPS and the symptoms reappeared again last evening.

I have noticed that often the channel of live tv that appears in the preview is the same channel as the recording that was just watched. I had considered that this might be that "feature" where the app buffers the current channel thinking I may want to continue on that channel when I'm done watching my recording. However, the OSD bar for the live tv show is red up to the point just moments before when it appeared in the preview window.

Am I the only one with this issue, or do I need to start a new thread with a better title?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Sage Icon

you arent the only one. its a sagemc issue, it wont happen in the default STV. I thought it was supposed to be fixed by now, but I still get it at times.

Mike, any thoughts?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

I suspected it was MC, but I admit I haven't tried to duplicate it in the default, mostly because the first window this usually occurs in (Program Info) isn't even available in the default STV.

Perhaps this is related. I have noticed that some properties have a tendency to change value in SageMC, so maybe that is part of this as well. FI, I have always left compression disabled, but while looking at my properties, I just discovered a bunch of compression entries. I opened the SageMC setting on the HD200 and sure enough compression has been mysteriously enabled.

It will take a little time to look through all 34 pages of properties (17 server and 17 HD200) to see what else I can discover. Mostly because I don't have a clue what the majority of these even control. I know SageTV doesn't want to give away all their secrets, but it sure would be nice to have a listing of all the properties entries and what they do.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

I've been having the same problem.

However, I seem to have fixed it on my HD200 last night. I went to the settings screen as detailed above from the extender and changed always to if active. This stopped it from happening. For now anyway....

Have you changed this on every extender?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

I just got it to do a different variation.

This time I started a recording from yesterday. I moved to the end to let it end on its own. The "Stopped" popup window appeared and I hit "enter" on the remote to select "stop" on the menu. This took me back to the "Program Info" window. The preview popped up and started playing a recording that is currrently being recorded on a different channel.

As an additional test, I just changed a setting in "Detailed Setup". I changed Multimedia, Video Menu Options, Display Video on Menus: to never (was "if active"). SageMC continues to display preview windows after changing this setting, so does it only apply to the default STV? Is there another similar setting in MC that I can't find?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeezer View Post
I've been having the same problem.

However, I seem to have fixed it on my HD200 last night. I went to the settings screen as detailed above from the extender and changed always to if active. This stopped it from happening. For now anyway....

Have you changed this on every extender?
I'm only running one extender at the moment. (The MVP is on ice awaiting my finishing a wire run to the kitchen.)

FWIW, several times when this happened I went to the menu item you describe. It always already said "if active", but if I toggled and resaved as "if active", the behavior would seem to correct itself for a while. Since the behavior is sporadic I don't know if my toggling had an actual effect or not. My setting for that menu has never been set to "always".
Old 04-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

new symptom

In case this helps, I found a way to reliably force a different but possibly related glitch. Perhaps it will be a clue.

As I posted earlier, I set "Display Video on Menus:" to "Never". If I start a recorded show and hit "enter", I get the popup window. I hit "enter" again and "Program Info" is selected so I get the "Program Info" screen. The preview window opens in the lower left and shows me my still running recorded show. From here if I hit "stop" on the remote, the program stops running. If I hit "stop" again, the preview window closes. Now for the glitch. If I hit the "left" button on the remote, I get full screen (not preview) Live TV. The live TV show was not being recorded prior to this. If I hit stop, I get the "Stopped" poup window. If I hit "stop" again on the remote (stop is not a choice on the popup menu) then I am taken back to the "Program Info" screen from the recorded show I had been watching earlier. Now if I hit "left" it works like normal and takes me back one layer in the menus.

The results are the same if I use the "back" button instead of the "left" button in the above.

I can reproduce this for different recordings from different channels. The Live TV channel that pops up is always the channel that the recording had been recorded from.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac321 View Post
I can reproduce this for different recordings from different channels. The Live TV channel that pops up is always the channel that the recording had been recorded from.
The sequence above applies to when nothing is currently recording. In that case doing the sequence above causes live TV to spontaneously start on the same channel as the previously viewed recording was recorded on.

Exception to above. If something is currently being recorded, then that sequence causes the preview to open with the show that is currently being recorded, even if it is on a different channel.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Follow up regarding settings

So far, setting the Detailed Setup, Multimedia, Video Menu Options, Display Video on Menus: to "never" in the default STV has reduced the incidents of the live TV spontaneously starting. I can force it to happen using the method described earlier, but if I stop a recording/video from the full screen (not the preview) I haven't yet had an unwanted live TV window pop up.

For others that have been having this issue, I'd be curious to see if you have similar results. For me, preview windows still work properly in all SageMC menus/windows/screens I've viewed, so I suspect at least some of the spontaneous live TV is due to a clash between the default STV settings and the SageMC settings.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:19 AM
SageTVaholic

The method you describe really isn't a glitch. It is the due to the video OSD being in the back history as a result of the sequence you applied. I don't know of any way to do anything about this yet.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Administrator

If the issue is using Back returns to the playback menu & since nothing is playing, live TV starts, then check out the BeforeMenuLoad hook for the "MediaPlayer OSD" menu in the default STV -- if the menu is being reloaded w/o any currently playing media, then it leaves the menu before anything can get automatically started.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Andy,

Was your reply intended for Mike as a programming suggestion, or is that something I should be able to tinker with in menus and/or properties?

Thanks
Old 04-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac321 View Post
Was your reply intended for Mike as a programming suggestion, or is that something I should be able to tinker with in menus and/or properties?
It was intended for Mike as something to check in SageMC, in case that covers what is happening here.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
It was intended for Mike as something to check in SageMC, in case that covers what is happening here.

- Andy
I figured that was your intent. It sounds like you're on to the source of the glitch. Since I'm hitting "back", the program wants to return to the playback window, but since I double stopped the recording, there is no window to return to so the program opens one to comply with the command.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
If the issue is using Back returns to the playback menu & since nothing is playing, live TV starts, then check out the BeforeMenuLoad hook for the "MediaPlayer OSD" menu in the default STV -- if the menu is being reloaded w/o any currently playing media, then it leaves the menu before anything can get automatically started.

- Andy
Perfect. Thanks Andy.

Aloha,
Mike