SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Sage Icon

Customizations with Default Sage STV?

I've had Sage for less than a month and I am new at all of this, but I'm willing to learn.

Currently I am looking through the "sticky" list of customizations at the top and there are several that I would like (IMDB Search, for example). However, I would like to keep the original SageTV STV if possible - or if I need to replace it, I would like one that looks exactly like it but has the extra menu items (depending on what I add). Yeah, I know, a lot of the custom menus are prettier and possibly more convenient, but this is a WAF-driven thing.

Is there a customizable STV that allows all these other customizations to work, but looks just like the default SageTV?

Also, a lot of the listed customizations seem to be from much older versions of Sage (I discovered it around 6.3.5). Do they all still work with the latest 6.3.10? Any known that do not (I noticed in the web radio player thread that apparently it doesn't work too well anymore...)?
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

I like the default stv also I have installed the Dynamic menus because I like the icons showing on the side. I have also added the IMDB stvi, and there is a weather module that can be added. I think those would be a good start. Also there is the Comskip Stvi you may like. Before I add any stvi's I make a copy of the sagetv directory that way if there are any problems you can just rename the copy back to sagetv and be up and running in no time.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Currently I am looking through the "sticky" list of customizations at the top and there are several that I would like (IMDB Search, for example). However, I would like to keep the original SageTV STV if possible - or if I need to replace it, I would like one that looks exactly like it but has the extra menu items (depending on what I add).
Unless stated otherwise on the entry in the sticky index you referred to, the customizations are meant to be used with the default STV. You should see a list of customizations for SageMC underneath that STV's entry in the list, then down below, the Custom STV Import Modules are almost all for the default STV. Imports are not STV replacements, but plugins that modify an STV.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:56 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Unless stated otherwise on the entry in the sticky index you referred to, the customizations are meant to be used with the default STV. You should see a list of customizations for SageMC underneath that STV's entry in the list, then down below, the Custom STV Import Modules are almost all for the default STV. Imports are not STV replacements, but plugins that modify an STV.

- Andy
Thanks, Andy. I thought I read in several of the threads (about various customizations) that they required neilm's customizable menu. Maybe I read wrong. - or maybe they used to? (several of these were created back in the Sage 2.x, 3.x, 4.x days, so maybe things have changed). As I said, I'm new to all of this, and, having no programming knowledge, I am deathly afraid of doing something that is going to completely mess up my SageTV setup.
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I thought I read in several of the threads (about various customizations) that they required neilm's customizable menu.
That's entirely possible -- the customization's usually explain their requirements and installation instructions. You would have to check the ones you are interested in.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
That's entirely possible -- the customization's usually explain their requirements and installation instructions. You would have to check the ones you are interested in.

- Andy
Well, rats. I was hoping that, despite what I *thought* I had seen, that you were saying they are all mostly functional with default STV. But it seems that maybe they aren't.

Can anyone tell me for starters, yes or no, whether the IMDB search will work with default STV, in SageTV 6.3.10?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Well, rats. I was hoping that, despite what I *thought* I had seen, that you were saying they are all mostly functional with default STV. But it seems that maybe they aren't.
There is a customizable menu system for the default STV, so if another plugin for the default STV requires using that, then it is still for the default STV. Sometimes, the customizable menus just make it easier to reach a customization's new menus, or else you would have to go into Studio & make a menu item link to the new custom menu. Like I said, you'll need to check each customization's description. If you need help with a specific one, your best bet is to check its topic & ask there.

- Andy
Old 03-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

Can anyone tell me for starters, yes or no, whether the IMDB search will work with default STV, in SageTV 6.3.10?
Yes, it works with the default STV but in order to actually display anything, it requires that dynamic menus be installed also. Think of your question as asking whether the radio in your car works if you haven't also installed the speakers. Rarely is anything ever yes or no with customizations. You just have to do the research as Andy says.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSSageUser View Post
Yes, it works with the default STV but in order to actually display anything, it requires that dynamic menus be installed also. Think of your question as asking whether the radio in your car works if you haven't also installed the speakers. Rarely is anything ever yes or no with customizations. You just have to do the research as Andy says.
Well, I did not install dynamic menus... but I successfully installed IMDB Search and it works great.

So either a recent update of SageTV made the "dynamic menus" requirement unnecessary... or the IMDB search was modified to not require dynamic menus but the "requirements" list was not updated.

Either way... it works!