SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:19 AM
Sage User

Can WHS run sageMC?

Hi,

I am setting up SageTV on a WHS box. I saw SageMC and really like some of its features (organization of CDs and DVDs). I found a website that describes the install (http://brentevans.blogspot.com/2008/...th-sagetv.html) and I was wondering if can just follow those directions for my WHS SageTV install. Also, will any clients automatically see the new sage? Or do I need to do something to them too?

Thank you,

John
Old 03-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

What does WHS stand for?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:42 PM
SageTVaholic

I wrote up that walk-through of SageMC, but haven't tried it on WHS (stands for Windows Home Server). Can anyone using SageMC on WHS respond? Or just mention if there's anything different about setting up SageMC on WHS vs. on Windows XP or Vista?

Last edited by Brent; 03-13-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskitty666 View Post
What does WHS stand for?
Windows Home Server, just click to the left to learn more. It's really quite nice!

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 03-13-2008, 03:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I wrote up that walk-through of SageMC, but haven't tried it on WHS (stands for Windows Home Server). Can anyone using SageMC on WHS respond? Or just mention if there's anything different about setting up SageMC on WHS vs. on Windows XP or Vista?
Nothing different. Unzip it correctly on the WHS server to the SageTV directory and then choose it from your extenders. (I'm not running WHS now but ran it previously and thinking about going back.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah Windows Home Server is really nice. I'm still trying to figure out why someone would be motivated to use a dedicated file server that you can't write to.

http://gizmodo.com/365859/microsoft-...media-managers

Edit: I dont have any first hand knowledge of it; it's possible the above link is just mis-information.... and it is nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan View Post
Windows Home Server, just click to the left to learn more. It's really quite nice!

-PGPfan

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 03-14-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
Yeah Windows Home Server is really nice. I'm still trying to figure out why someone would be motivated to use a dedicated file server that you can't write to.

Edit: I dont have any first hand knowledge of it; it's possible the above link is just mis-information.... and it is nice
I used all of the WHS betas and the release candidates (in a virtual machine), and did not experience this problem. Granted, I would rather save my files locally and have WHS do the backup for you, but you *should* be able to save files directly to a network share and not have them become corrupted...
Old 03-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post

Keep in mind that my 'nice' comment IS based on first hand knowledge of it rather than parroting a website review.

I've had the exact same experience that Spartan above has - never had a problem with it, and the built-in backup has saved my butt a couple of times. I also have an unRaid server and I use both of them to leverage each ones strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 03-14-2008, 08:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Also this is a bug in their Windows® Home Server Drive Extender technology. If you're using Sage and you're NOT having WHS manage your drives then it will not affect you and those drives. This is only showing up when you're using their drive extender technology. The core features of that are:
1) The predefined shared folders named Photos, Music, Videos, Public, and Software.
2) When you add a new drive through the wizard to your storage pool.
3) Shared folder duplication.

It also doesn't affect the backing up of the other PCs on your network to the WHS server. More affected apps have been added to the initial list but it doesn't affect everyone.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 03-14-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

I tried SageMC a while back. SageMC installs to client PCs and not to WHS itself, so no problem.

Routers: DIR-655 and DIR-825 Bridges: 2xDAP-1522.
Installed: WHS OS, SageTV for WHS, PlayOn and Orb.
SageTV Plugins: PlayOn in OnLine Services.
SageTV clients: HD-200->Samsung LN52A750 and HD-100->Samsung LN40A650
Clients: 5 HP laptops, home built PC, iMac, PS3, PSP, XBox360, 3 iPhones 3gs (through OrbLive).
Old 02-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Going to necro a thread instead of starting a new one.

I am running SageTV right now on the WHS platform. I did the addon install. However, I could not get SageMC to come up on my Hauppague extender like it used to on XP. I just got a black screen with garbled words. This weekend I am going to "remove the addon" and install SageTV locally on WHS in hopes to fix this.

However, as any one else seen this?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post
This weekend I am going to "remove the addon" and install SageTV locally on WHS in hopes to fix this.
I wouldn't, Sage should be installed via the add-in on WHS. You must be doing something else wrong although I don't know what.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_E View Post
I wouldn't, Sage should be installed via the add-in on WHS. You must be doing something else wrong although I don't know what.
Heh...that was mean.

I did it, step by step, trying to get SageMC up and running on WHS again. I think I tried 3 or 4 times. It works on a PC based placeshifter client but not the hauppauge extender. I sorta wanna go back to SageMC because my inlaws can use it better (I have no issue with basic UI).
Old 02-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Heh...that was mean.

I did it, step by step, trying to get SageMC up and running on WHS again. I think I tried 3 or 4 times. It works on a PC based placeshifter client but not the hauppauge extender. I sorta wanna go back to SageMC because my inlaws can use it better (I have no issue with basic UI).
No it wasn't it was honest. The Sage parts of the add-in and the non-add-in are the same, the only differences are the WHS console parts and the placeshifter that you get with the WHS version.

If SageMC is working on the placeshifter then it's not Sage, imo. Maybe you need a firmware upgrade (or a newer version of SageMC maybe) on the extender or something else but the "SageTV bits" are the same.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Heh...that was mean.

You need to install the latest version of Java. SageTV only installs 1.4 something, and SageMC needs 1.6 something. After that you shouldn't have the black screen with messed up text.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
You need to install the latest version of Java. SageTV only installs 1.4 something, and SageMC needs 1.6 something. After that you shouldn't have the black screen with messed up text.
Secondary question then. If I upgrade SageTV (remove addon, reboot, install new addon)...will java get set back to 1.4? Or will the current 1.6.x "stick". The wife is gone this weekend and she is already way behind on watching NCIS...so she won't notice a few missing episodes.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Secondary question then. If I upgrade SageTV (remove addon, reboot, install new addon)...will java get set back to 1.4? Or will the current 1.6.x "stick". The wife is gone this weekend and she is already way behind on watching NCIS...so she won't notice a few missing episodes.
It'll "stick" with 1.6 but probably the only reason you'd have to uninstall, reboot, reinstall Sage via the WHS console is if you were upgrading versions of Sage.