SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Question sage.playbackException error

Hi,

When I play my video files, I got many music video's in different formats, I'm getting often following error on my extender "There was a Playback Error in playback. Details: sage.playbackException: Error (-3, 0x0). There was a problem accessing the filesystem for playback.".

I'm sure all of these files used to play before. I can play all of them on my HTPC.

I'm running latest SageTV and also latest SageMC on my externder, and I did test it also with the standard SageTV extension: same error - so not a SageMC issue.

I'm running VISTA and SageTV service.

Anybody any idea what is generating this error?

Jan
Old 03-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Did you recently install a new version of SageTV? If so, did you reconfigure the service to log in as a user w/a password who has permission to access the path(s) where the files are located?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Opus4,

I did install today latest version of SageTV, just to be sure this was not an already 'solved' issue. So this install did not cause it, it was already before.

I checked the service running, it's running with the local system account. I'm wondering if I need to run it as an administrator. But all these music video's are under one directory, if it would be an access problem, than none of these should be playable .. I would guess . And many are.

Jan
Old 03-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Do any of them play on the HD100, or do you mean they play on a PC client? If any play on the HD100, what path is shown for the files on the detailed info screen for the ones that do play vs. those that don't?

I just meant that if they were using a UNC path, then the service has to be configured to log in as a user w/a password, otherwise the service couldn't see those paths. Maybe the service was configured that way previously or they were imported before switching to service mode. A PC client could access the paths directly & still be able to play. This was just one guess at a possible issue & may not be the actual problem, of course.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Opus4,

I'm in Europe, so HD100 ... not just yet It's the old fashioned Hauppauge Media MVP.

They do not play on the MVP, but do play on the PC that's running the SageTV service. All files are physcially on that PC, and all video clips are under one directory/subdirectories. There's no apparent link in directory, it's not that the MVP does not play any of the files in one specific subdirectory. No, it does play some, and doesn't play others. E.g.,:

D:/My Music Video/Music Video/Artist - Joe Cocker/ contains
Joe Cocker - Delta Lady (low quality).mpg
Joe Cocker - Shelter Me.mpg
Joe Cocker - Unchain My Heart.mpg
Joe Cocker - With a Littel Help of My Friends (Live).mpg
Joe Cocker - You Can Leave Your Hat On.mpg

It gives the error on the 4th song. And than it gives a black screen, and I have to 'stop' the playback to continue using the MVP.

And I just rechecked the PC's behaviour, now that I upgraded SageTV. Now it even doesn't play on the PC. Worse, it crashes SageTV (SageTV.exe - Application Error - The instruction at 0x6e5203c3 referenced memory at 0xff00408f. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate program). So now it's even worse than before.

And I'm 100% sure I watched these via my MVP before .

Any suggestions?

Jan

EDIT: FYI, I can play the video outside SageTV without issues (WMP and VLC)
Old 03-11-2008, 06:44 AM
SageTVaholic

If you just recently upgraded I would make sure you're using the latest 1.6 version of java and if you upgraded an existing installation I would get rid of the sage.properties file and let Sage recreate it and setup your installation again. Depending on how old you version was there may have been some remnants in the older properties that is causing issues.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Gerry,

I'm running Java 1.6.0_03 and recent update I did was from SageTV 6.2 to 6.3, and I did that to try to resolve the problem I'm having.

I do intent to perform a full 'clean' PC install once Bill decides we mortals are to be given access to VISTA's SP1 (got the RC1 installed, did resolve most issues). Maybe I'll need to wait 'till than (expected soon) to assess, if still an issue after that than to be relooked.

With the crash on my HTPC for those files, I'm starting to think more in the direction of a codec issue. When via the MVP, it's taking some seconds before the error is displayed. Maybe the service crashes and restarts, generating the error text which is than actually misleading (not an access probem). Don't know.

Jan
Old 03-11-2008, 07:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Well I ran Vista for awhile. (Day or two) and it was more trouble than it was worth. I would test with the service running as Administrator with a password. I had various issues getting file access. I actually ended up turning off UAC, reinstalling and ran OK for a while. But the performance hit sucked and I went back to XP.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:25 AM
SageTVaholic

I like Vista for my main PC but I would have to agree. From everything I've read on the forums it seems that Vista is the common theme among many people having problems with SageTV.