SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Sage User

Angry How do you get rid of video preview thumbnails?

I have previously asked how to get rid of them and the steps offered did remove them when Sage is not running in service mode, but in service mode they are still there. Also with the latest version of Sage the icons that replace the thumbnails animate and scroll if there are several videos in the library folder. Is it possible to have no icons or thumbnails and to stop the scrolling of said icons and thumbnails when there are multiple video files in the folder?

Video thumbnails are pointless. All they show is commercials or credits or some other randomly useless image that conveys zero information. They constantly slow menus and cause stalls and stutters as Sage searches through dozens or hundreds of video files to find and extract the images for them. Also, with the default setting, thousands of jpg thumbnail files are generated and continuously build up adding to drive load, wasted space and drive fragmentation. I love Sage, couldn't live without it, but even a great product can have a bad idea. There is no point to thumbnails other than to look nifty and they are a constant drain on system resources.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Why not just disable all the animations?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverClock View Post
I have previously asked how to get rid of them and the steps offered did remove them when Sage is not running in service mode, but in service mode they are still there.
Did you repeat those steps on SageClient.properties after enabling service mode?

Personally I like the thumbnails. They don't bog down my system, and it's not hard to adjust the video_thumbnail_extraction_time_offset_sec property to get useful images. As for fragmentation and wasted disk space, a thousand thumbnails add up to a few megabytes; that's peanuts compared to, say, my web browser cache, which contains tens of thousands of files and hundreds of megabytes.

But if you don't like thumbnails, feel free to disable them; that's why they're optional.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Administrator

If you disabled them in non-service mode, then do the same for service mode, but using sageclient.properties.

If you don't want the animations, there are some settings in Detailed Setup -> General -> Animation Options. Among them is one to turn off thumbnail transitions. (Those options used to be in the Customizations section & moved as of v6.3.8.) They now use the core animations system, so the animations should use much less cpu time, unless you have 3D Acceleration disabled.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverClock View Post
Video thumbnails are pointless. All they show is commercials or credits or some other randomly useless image that conveys zero information. They constantly slow menus and cause stalls and stutters as Sage searches through dozens or hundreds of video files to find and extract the images for them. Also, with the default setting, thousands of jpg thumbnail files are generated and continuously build up adding to drive load, wasted space and drive fragmentation. I love Sage, couldn't live without it, but even a great product can have a bad idea. There is no point to thumbnails other than to look nifty and they are a constant drain on system resources.
NOTE: you can use my VideoEdit plugin to select the exact frame you want for the thumbnail without needing to edit the property file it doesn't use that property to generate the thumbnail.