SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:37 AM
Sage Fanatic

video output on HD Extender??

I'm using the new HD extender with an HDMI cable.. the display looks great at 1080i but I have found that the extender changes it's output to match the recording of each show I watch.. this is fine, except for the Sage GUI and menus remain at that output after ending the show.. is there a way to force the GUI to return to 1080i or whatever when the video stops playing??

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2008, 08:21 AM
SageTVaholic

The only way I know of is to manually change it back via the resolution button on the remote.

If you don't want it changing, you can disable Native Resolution switching in Detailed Setup -> Multimedia.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
The only way I know of is to manually change it back via the resolution button on the remote.

If you don't want it changing, you can disable Native Resolution switching in Detailed Setup -> Multimedia.

That is too bad! One way I got around it on the HD Extender was to remove all resolutions except 1080i.. but by doing so I wonder..

If I record a show at a lesser resolution and the extender plays it back at a higher resolution... is there transcoding involved?? Is there any reason why I should NOT force everything to 1080i?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Sage Icon

It seems to me that Sage could easily fix this by adding a property that sets the native resolution for the UI. Then it would always switch back.

S
Old 02-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
It seems to me that Sage could easily fix this by adding a property that sets the native resolution for the UI. Then it would always switch back.

S
Indeed.. that would be ideal.. I don't know why nobody else has complained about this.. figured perhaps there was already a switch such as you suggest, that I was just not seeing.. On my TV if the resolution drops, the GUI looks terrible.. and trying to explain to my family how to set it back after every show is not worth the effort.. an option to automatically set GUI to a specific output would be fantastic!!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
That is too bad! One way I got around it on the HD Extender was to remove all resolutions except 1080i.. but by doing so I wonder..
If you're going to do that, just disable native output switching.

Quote:
If I record a show at a lesser resolution and the extender plays it back at a higher resolution... is there transcoding involved?? Is there any reason why I should NOT force everything to 1080i?
Yes, if the output resolution doesn't match the input (source/file) then there's scaling and maybe deinterlacing involved. The only reason to not let the extender scale everything is if you're got it connected to a better scaler. For me, it's about a draw between the extender and my IN76's internal processor.

The problem with it automatically switching back is that could result in a lot of resolution switching, which isn't really the most graceful thing on most TVs.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Sage Fanatic

I would also like to see this feature. I want native output switching for video files, but I would like to keep the GUI at 1080P. I feel the TV does a better job scalling the video then the HD extender does, but the GUI looks best @ 1080P.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
then there's scaling and maybe deinterlacing involved.
Is this done by the Extender or by the Server?
Old 02-01-2008, 11:53 AM
SageTVaholic

The extender.