SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD Extender starts playback in wrong place

I've just run across what appears to be another HD extender issue. I've been recording the playoff games today with my HDHomerun. The recordings are being made to program streams since Sage has problems with transport streams. I like to let a game record for a while before I start to watch so that I can jump through the commercials. On both games, when I started playback the HD Extender started playback at the current time rather than starting from the beginning of the game. On the Colts/Chargers game I didn't see the score so it wasn't a big deal, but my first view of the Cowboys/Giants was the 2nd quarter score. The HD Extender received a few choice words at that point.

Another issue I noticed was that the extender wouldn't let me jump backwards in the file while playback was paused. My first reaction when seeing that the game was not in the right place was to hit pause. I attempted to jump back to the beginning, but the extender would jump back to the current time when I hit play. The only way I could get it to back up was to play the file and then jump backwards. I checked to see if this behavior also occurs on the server, and it does not. Same with first starting up playback, the server started from the beginning rather than the current live position in the file.

Has anyone else seen this behavior, or know of something stupid I'm doing? I thought I'd check before filing a bug report.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Sage Icon

I've seen it happen here on HD shows a few times. Like you, only when the show is still recording.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Unless this is just an issue with HD recordings, see my reply here.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm running the default STV and I see this same thing - in fact I had the exact same experience today watching the playoffs. You stop playback and then fire it up 30 minutes later - it comes up and you see it show the green and white in the playback bar like it's going to do the right thing but then it jumps to the end and starts playing "live". Easy to repo with HD content via HDHR, haven't seen this on SD recordings via Hauppauge capture cards, but I can't say it never happens.
Basement: HD Extender connected to Dell projector.
Back room: MVP 1000 hooked to 21" CRT TV.
Bedroom: MVP 1000 hooked to 27" CRT TV.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Unless this is just an issue with HD recordings, see my reply here.

- Andy
Andy,

I'm at work right now and can't test with SD, but I'm running the default STV.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have the same issue. It has only happened to me when trying to watch HD recordings while they are still recording. I have had this happen in the past. Before using the HD extender I used a PC. When watching sporting events if I watched some then stopped, then started again, it would always take me to the current spot in the game. (The bar was still correctly green) When that happened I usually only had to hit the 10 second rewind and it went back to the correct spot. This was acceptable for me. I knew just to look down when I started watching again and hit the rewind button.

With the HD extender the bar moves to the current recording spot and then actually changes from green to gray as if I had watched it. It sometimes will freeze on me trying to rewind it to the correct location. I have had it also crash my sageTVservice and I end up losing all current recordings in progress. This accompanied by the bad IR is getting very frustrating. Love SageTV, just hoping for some fixes soon.

Edit: Running the default STV
Old 01-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Sage User

Same problem with me. Ironically, I cursed at the same point of the Dallas game also when Sage politely showed me the score in the 2nd quarter instead of starting from the beginning of the recording. I've had this happen a lot however but I thought it was just me.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:57 AM
Sage Icon

I can confirm it's only HD for me.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Angry

I just wanted to update this thread. Sage has screwed over my football watching again. I'm in the middle of watching the Packers-Giants game, and I stopped playback midway through the second quarter. The score was 7-6 Green Bay at the time and Green Bay had just scored. When I came back to the game a few minutes ago, Sage decided to start at the live position of the file which was midway through the third quarter with the score 13-10 for the Giants.

Besides the fact that I'm mad and wanted to vent, I also wanted to point out that this behavior happened with playback from my server this time. I watched the first part of the game through my HD Extender upstairs, and then came down to the family room to watch the rest of the game on the projector which uses my Sage server for a source. So it doesn't appear to be an HD Extender specific problem.

I'm a programmer myself, so I'm usually pretty forgiving, but this one is really annoying. Come on Sage, you guys need to knock this bug out quick!
Old 01-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Sage User

Couldn't agree more. This has screwed me in every single playoff game I've watched so far. I'll be watching the Super Bowl live but come March Madness... for the love of all that is holy, please fix this.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Sage User

Same problem here guys.

Sports are a big problem with this bug. Happened in both playoff games for me too but it also used to do it before the HD extender. This bug combined with the subpar IR control on the current HD extender makes it so you can't change it back to the correct point on the time bar quickly enough. More often than not you see the score. Very frustrating and I hope they squash this bug soon (it has been there for a long time by the way) but.....

I STILL LOVE SAGE.

Clients : 1 HD Extender, 2 wired MVPs and 1 Placeshifter