SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

20080128 0 - Necessary?

Firmware 200801208 0 changes:

1. Fix time related bug
2. Fix AC3 passthrough bug on hdmi when spdif is selected

I didn't have an audio problem with the last firmware update but I'm not sure what the time related bug is. Is this a critical problem or something minor that could be passed over until the next firmware update?
Old 01-28-2008, 03:58 PM
SageTVaholic

In general, it's safer to not update unless you're experiencing a problem that's fixed in the release.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

I agree with Stanger, particularly true due to the lock up issues that are being reported in other threads with the latest firmware.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

The question is if any of these items address the lock-up issues?
Intel Xeon L? 32Gb
CetonTV cable card /FIOS
Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Sage Fanatic

stay clear unless something is broken. i have no idea when i wil have a functional hd extender again. last two firmware updates have completely hosed me. i cannot watch live tv and change channels wihout having to power off and power on.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:37 PM
SageTVaholic

I agree, anyone that hasn't updated their firmware should probably avoid it. I'm pretty sure the last two firmware versions (last 3, if you count the short-lived one), introduced some major problems.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well, I guess I was wondering what the bug actually was because I might have it and not know exactly what it was. Honestly, those with major problems after the firmware updates might just have bad units. Seems weird that it would hose a system but not others.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeclad View Post
Well, I guess I was wondering what the bug actually was because I might have it and not know exactly what it was. Honestly, those with major problems after the firmware updates might just have bad units. Seems weird that it would hose a system but not others.
I've been thinking that. The extender was/is suppose to solve all the weird problems that result from everything having different systems. I still think the firmware played a role, since these problems didn't start until I flashed the new firmware, but maybe it somehow exacerbated a hardware problem. Or maybe it was just bad timing.

It does seem awfully strange that I'm the only one experiencing the playback problems.

Oh well, maybe if I have to RMA it I'll get a unit that receives IR signals better.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

THe new firmware broke more than it fixed.

Sure I can play my Xvid files now with sound, thats when I can get the damned thing to turn on.

Are these new firmware updates being tested?

I wonder how this problem with the device not powering on could have been missed?

Mine will simply not power back on after being turned off with the remote, I have to turn the power switch off on the back, count to 30 then power the unit back on. Seems to run fine after that.

I am ready to toss it out the window
Old 01-30-2008, 10:00 AM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkyjoe View Post
Mine will simply not power back on after being turned off with the remote, I have to turn the power switch off on the back, count to 30 then power the unit back on. Seems to run fine after that.
Are you able to reproduce it everytime you turn the unit off?

Thanks

_Demo_
Old 01-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

You didn't ask me the question but my answer is, NO, I am not able to reproduce the problem every time I press the remote's power button. But three times already I have tried to power on to see no reaction from the unit at all. The only way to power on is to cycle the power off and then on in the back of the unit.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeclad View Post
You didn't ask me the question but my answer is, NO, I am not able to reproduce the problem every time I press the remote's power button. But three times already I have tried to power on to see no reaction from the unit at all. The only way to power on is to cycle the power off and then on in the back of the unit.
Could you put the unit in screen saver mode instead of power off to see if you can reproduce it this way?

Thanks

_Demo_
Old 01-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

OK, I'll let it go to screen saver then power down and see if I can't power back up.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Demo,

I did the latest firmware update this AM and for now it seems to have corrected the problem with power on. Time will tell.

You know I bitched about the new firmware not being ready on my timescale I guess I should have kept my mouth shut

I would rather wait than have an even buggier firmware on my system, seeing as no-one had documented a way to go back to an older firmware.

P.S. None of the buttons would make the extender respond, the red light on the front stays lit but none of the other lights would light up until I hard booted the unit. I will keep an eye and if it continues I will submit a bug report.

I still LOVE the extender, just tired of the wife bitching at me.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Update

The latest firmwares caused the following problems for me:

1: Media extender not responding to power on with remote - requires turning switch on the back off for 30 seconds - then back on. Unit is slow to come back on and boot to the interface.

2: When playing audio or recorded video then switching over to a DVD the sound on the DVD will sometimes play audio for 5 seconds via spdif and then drop out for 2-3 seconds, then start playing again. Only a reboot fixes this problem.

3: When switching from one dvd to another the unit will reboot. All the DVD's are ripped the same way-actually a full dvd rip with all the goodies.

4: Switching between functions i.e guide-recorded tv can take 2-3 minutes before unit responds, the log file then begins to fill with errors.

Has anyone figured a way to go back to previous firmware?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2008, 06:37 PM

You can try the beta firmware by entering the firmware update screen and entering the code 2382, this will update the text on the screen to specify it is in beta firmware mode. If you check for updates in this mode it will update to the latest beta firmware. If you later want to go back to the release firmware simply do another check for updates without entering the code. Let me know the results if you try it.

Thanks

_Demo_
Old 02-01-2008, 06:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Demo_ View Post
You can try the beta firmware by entering the firmware update screen and entering the code 2382, this will update the text on the screen to specify it is in beta firmware mode.
That's kind of cool. But, like unkyjoe, ideally I'd like to see a way to load any version of firmware. I would think this functionality already exists on the device for development and testing purposes. I would think it would benefit Sage to make such functionality available. For instance, I've been having problems with my extender for about a week. It started after loading new firmware, so I immediately assumed there was a problem with the firmware. But, now that I see no one else is experiencing problems it seems reasonably likely is not the firmware. Being able to load the old firmware would tell me one way or the other.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
That's kind of cool. But, like unkyjoe, ideally I'd like to see a way to load any version of firmware. I would think this functionality already exists on the device for development and testing purposes. I would think it would benefit Sage to make such functionality available. For instance, I've been having problems with my extender for about a week. It started after loading new firmware, so I immediately assumed there was a problem with the firmware. But, now that I see no one else is experiencing problems it seems reasonably likely is not the firmware. Being able to load the old firmware would tell me one way or the other.
It is possible to load a previous firmware using the recovery procedure. The old firmware is at http://download.sagetv.com/firmware/20071226-0.bin

_Demo_
Old 02-01-2008, 07:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Demo_ View Post
It is possible to load a previous firmware using the recovery procedure.
Thank you! I sort of thought that's what you would do. I even tried downloading that firmware file once before, but I didn't think to add '-0' to the filename. I'll try that sometime this weekend and see if it works.

Update: Sure enough, my problems went away by going back to the older firmware. I can play imported videos again!

Last edited by reggie14; 02-01-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Demo, thanks for the information.

This stuff will be handy for everyone wanting to go back to a previous version of the firmware, may I suggest someone making a sticky on the subject.

Many Thanks