SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

USB-UIRT question

I want to add another pvr-150 card and starchoice STB to my SageTv Box, and since I can't use the built in IR blasters on the pvr cards I want to use a usb-uirt. My problem is this, my sage box is in a rack in my office, and I just extended the wires for the IR reciever that came with my first pvr-150 with a bit of Cat5 cable and it works flawlessly. By looking at the usb-uirt in pictures, it seems as though the IR reciever is soldered onto a board of some sort. anyone know if it would be possible to unsolder the IR reciever, and extend the wires on it?
Old 01-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

I am a little confused. If you want to control the STB (ie change channels) with the usbuirt then IR blasting is what is needed. If so why would you need to detach the IR receiver?

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 01-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Hi,

I am a little confused. If you want to control the STB (ie change channels) with the usbuirt then IR blasting is what is needed. If so why would you need to detach the IR receiver?

Jesse
Well, my TV and IR reciever are in the living room, and the Sage box and STBs are in my rack in the office, which are at opposite ends of the house, therefore I need some sort of IR reciever in the living room to control Sage, while keeping the blasters in the office. The only reason I'm going with the usb uirt is for the multiple STBs and to do this I have to use the usb uirt to recieve the IR signals from my remote, or do i?

Now that I think about it, is it possible to use the IR reciever from my one hauppauge PVR 150 and use the blaster functions of the usb uirt, cause if that's possible, then my problem is solved...
Old 01-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Sage Icon

I would suggest a Snapstream Firefly remote and wire the emitters conventionally. Mine has worked flawlessly for a couple of years now, very happy with it. RF remotes really are king, after having one I doubt I could go back to IR.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze2112 View Post
Now that I think about it, is it possible to use the IR reciever from my one hauppauge PVR 150 and use the blaster functions of the usb uirt, cause if that's possible, then my problem is solved...
I think we both replied at the same time, that should be workable.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR View Post
I would suggest a Snapstream Firefly remote and wire the emitters conventionally. Mine has worked flawlessly for a couple of years now, very happy with it. RF remotes really are king, after having one I doubt I could go back to IR.
Yea, but I've got a rather nice Sony Remote Commander that I don't want to give up. If I could find a reasonably priced computer friendly touchscreen RF remote, i'd be all over that...
Old 01-25-2008, 01:42 PM
SageTVaholic

I would seriously consider getting an extender. Then you can just set up the USB-UIRT on your SageTV box and sage will control it as necessary to change channels.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 01-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Sage Icon

+1 on an IR extender. Leave the UIRT on the Sage box, and just use an IR extender by the tv to transmit the IR signal to the UIRT.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well, I'd thought about an extender as well, but I'd like to keep this as simple as posible. I think I'll look and see if I can use the Hauppauge reciever with the UIRT as a blaster cause that will ulimately be the easiest setup as the reciever is already working just fine. I appreciate the thougts, keep 'em coming

On a side note, I'd be willing to negotiate trade terms of my first born (currently not yet concieved, but I'm willing to deal here) to get details on how to control StarChoice Motorola STBs via the serial port that's on the back of them suckers....
Old 01-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze2112 View Post
Well, I'd thought about an extender as well, but I'd like to keep this as simple as posible.
setting up an IR extender is a piece of cake, just plug one part in by the tv and hte other part by the UIRT. http://www.cyberestore.com/remote-co...nder-p-98.html

Quote:
I think I'll look and see if I can use the Hauppauge reciever with the UIRT as a blaster cause that will ulimately be the easiest setup as the reciever is already working just fine. I appreciate the thougts, keep 'em coming
That should be doable as well since the hauppauge receiver is already wired, just got to get the config set up correctly for everything.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm going to go thru the setup screens when i get home. IIRC there's settings to use specific recievers for input and seperate blasters for different tv cards

Thanks guys